shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m going to do the unthinkable. Advice welcome.

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
So I have had ring dilemma after dilemma. It comes down to me wanting a 2+ carat stone not in a halo like I have not to make it look bigger. I have an empty Tacori setting, and my current Simon g halo that is holding my 1.12 natural stone. I don’t like the halo look and want to sell everything to get a Frank Darling with a lab in the 2.1-2.5 range. The ring from Frank Darling that I want is attached. How much can I expect to receive for my natural? Can it cover the cost of the new setting and stone I want. I did a Quick Look but really need expert stone advice. E-F, VS, ideal specs are my must haves.

IMG_4286.png

Attachments

• IMG_4289.png
    IMG_4289.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 42

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, sabinameister!
It's possible that your EGD diamond and ring could cover the cost of the new LGD diamond and ring.
Do you have any details about the EGD, if you're willing to share?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA report of your 1.12 and provide some pictures? Where/how do you plan on selling it?

Edit...also, you didn't post the cost of the new setting (unless I'm missing it ;)2

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I didnt click on the image...was looking at the thumbnail and didn't see the ering...my bad!

You probably need to delete the appraisal image because it has personal info on it.

Edit...both your settings would be really pretty with colored stones. Might consider selling your
stone separate from its setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately you will not get much for the diamonds trying to sell through PS. Most people here want ideal cut. You would lose so much! I always say selling in that case is penny wise and pound foolish. Keep the diamond and make a beautiful pendant. Lab stones are so inexpensive right now, especially when you have the PS posse to help search.

You might get 700 each for the settings. At least that’s what I would list them and then see what offers you get.

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
Shoot! How do i delete?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
May want to look into a recut. If the inclusions are not in the way there’s likely enough to trim to get a better cut without losing much face up size. It’ll look more lively and it’ll also likely sell faster if you still want to sell afterwards.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ditto the other's...keep stone as a pendant and try to save up some more money for a lab. Try selling the settings on
pre-loved/loupe troop but keep in mind they wont bring anywhere near what you paid for them.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It's not unthinkable. I sold my earth mined 2.27 L colored true antique diamond to buy a lab diamond. Bigger was most important to me and i do not want to wear that amount of money on my hand if it were earth mined.

So, I will do one better. I dont think you should do 2 carats, because you wear that now as a halo so visually you have it, i would think you may want bigger eventually. I would look at possibly doing even bigger.

The first time I went from 2.27 (it faced up smaller) to 2.5ct to 3ct... now I have about 5.5 carat in a halo. Its perfect and exactly what I always wanted. It's FINALLY big enough for me. The reason i am mentioning it is because I bought a 7.5 to recut but it doesnt even seem that big to me now because my 5.5 is in a halo, so I feel like visually you might prefer something even a little bigger than 2.

The experts here can get you a diamond that performs JUST as well as a signature line diamond for a lot less money!

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I’m team…. “Use current diamond for a pendant and go for a BIG lab 3ct+ in your dream setting”

Best of both worlds … if you can swing it financially. Head over to the lab forum on here and have the peps over there help you find an amazing stone… labs are very reasonably priced right now!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
2.5-2.7 E-F VS1-VVS2 clean HPHT with H&A designation can be found for under $1300 right now.

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
Well I did it! My trade in was a wash in price for a 2.51 carat F VS1 ideal cut ex, ex. Plus setting and band. I fell in love with the simple tulip solitaire and plain band. Photos attached. The ring will be ready in 4-6 weeks. I attempted to take aset images with my phone but the camera kept flipping and it made it look wonky on the right side. All the hearts and arrows are crisp and perfectly balanced.
Below is the loose stone I chose, the one in the setting is a 2 carat but it shows the ring style. This community made this possible for me to have my dream ring that is classic and elegant.
image.jpg IMG_4302.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 83

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you weren’t messing around lol That stone is huge and very well cut!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you weren't kidding were you? I wish I had your ability to make quick decisions!

So, where were you able to make this happen? A local store? I'm sure other earth minded diamond
owners would be interested in knowing!

Congrats on going for it! Pics when you get it!

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
Wow, you weren't kidding were you? I wish I had your ability to make quick decisions!

So, where were you able to make this happen? A local store? I'm sure other earth minded diamond
owners would be interested in knowing!

Congrats on going for it! Pics when you get it!

I am thrilled to have the blessing of the PS community for this diamond! I was nervous but trusted the jeweler’s knowledge and I was very insistent in ideal cut. I almost ordered a 2.26 E VS1 but then she had the one I ended up buying in stock. She let me take it outside and I fell in love. I went to an F and up to a 2.51 and that was a no brainer. Seeing the hearts and arrows with the scope sealed the deal.

So I went to a local family jeweler that’s been around for 75 years. They took my engagement ring and band that was soldered and did a trade in that covered the entire cost of everything. I even have an $8 credit I scraped some gold rings from high school boyfriends and my Tacori because she was beat up and needed prong repairs. I took the emotional attachment out of it and wanted to just let it all go and start fresh. Realizing my marriage is what matters not the rings attached to it, and having my husband there with me with his blessing helped.

All my stones in my ering and wedding band are natural and so the owner was very interested I guess. I brought my original cert and receipts with me. I let the jeweler know that I can’t pay any money out of pocket, and my rings have to cover all costs. The mined diamond I traded in cost us just under 6k at the time of purchase. GIA very good cut.

I hope this helps! I feel I got a great deal. I originally reached out to By Bonnie, and her quotes were 8-10k and they don’t do trade ins or outside diamonds . I’m happy to support a family owned local place that I trust.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy the jeweler was able to accommodate your wishes and that you are happy with the results (well, when you get it you
will be)!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very happy for you, and how nice that you were able to support a local jeweler! Looking forward to seeing your completed ring!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
OMG i am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Honestly even if you could have gotten a little more selling on your own, it's not worth the risk or hassle! This sounds like the absolute best outcome you could have hoped for!!

It's 2 years later and I have zero regrets about doing the same! Well, not true, i wish i had just gone for the 5 carat I wanted from the start! When i first traded my earth grown for a lab i didnt go big enough! LOL!

I hope you love your 2.5 for years to come!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does sound like a fair trade. It’s possible if you sold the mountings and the diamond and hunted for a diamond online and then had it set you might have come out a little ahead. But it’s a lot of time and effort for probably a small monetary payoff. This was obviously a fast and easy process! That’s worth a lot too!

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
It does sound like a fair trade. It’s possible if you sold the mountings and the diamond and hunted for a diamond online and then had it set you might have come out a little ahead. But it’s a lot of time and effort for probably a small monetary payoff. This was obviously a fast and easy process! That’s worth a lot too!

The jeweler did tell me that as well, but I just knew what I wanted and needed to cut ties and move forward. I am happy that they had the stone I got in store to see it in person. The setting is stunning and they are going to do petite claw prongs for me. Pricescope has been a blessing to learn all things diamonds

diamonds27

Rough_Rock
So I have had ring dilemma after dilemma. It comes down to me wanting a 2+ carat stone not in a halo like I have not to make it look bigger. I have an empty Tacori setting, and my current Simon g halo that is holding my 1.12 natural stone. I don’t like the halo look and want to sell everything to get a Frank Darling with a lab in the 2.1-2.5 range. The ring from Frank Darling that I want is attached. How much can I expect to receive for my natural? Can it cover the cost of the new setting and stone I want. I did a Quick Look but really need expert stone advice. E-F, VS, ideal specs are my must haves.

IMG_4286.png

Hey, you should check out this new site, www.yourdiamondguys.com. It’s got this cool AI that scans for inclusions and weeds out the bad ones, so you only see the best diamonds with nice imperfections. Plus, there’s tons of info on there to help you out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results