shape
carat
color
clarity

I landed a Dolly, now what to do with her?

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
Ok, y'all. Work has kept me away for quite some time but I finally got a keeper, a 5.04 ct Dolly cut (mixed step cut) from Alex P. This was not on my list as I'm on the hunt for an Asscher and OMC, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Now what to do with her? I don't think my diamond cuff mom ring is the place for this beauty so I'm thinking an anniversary ring for our 15th next year. My current set is made up of 2 bands with diamonds, so I'm thinking a simple solitaire setting in YG.
More on that later, here are some pics!
Very hard to capture the ASET dead on, but it was very red throughout.
aset.jpg

And some video:

Attachments

• aset2.jpg
    aset2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 19
  • outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 24
  • outside_hand.jpg
    outside_hand.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 25
  • pastels.jpg
    pastels.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 24

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen this cut before. Is it exclusive to Alex?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think a simple solitaire setting would be just right, then it would live with your bands. If you do anything fancy it's going to look like a cocktail ring. I love cocktail rings but not with bands.

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
The bands will probably be worn on a different finger so this ring can be the showpiece. I'm thinking a YG tiffany band with a platinum head since it's an H in color. I love warmer diamonds but I don't want the yellow gold to make it look even more yellow. Something like one of these Tiffany rings:

1718978377162.png 1718978675523.png

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
Very pretty cut! A simple solitaire would show her off nicely.

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
This stone isn't certified, so I'm trying to decide what to do insurance-wise before having the stone set. Is getting an appraisal from a certified appraiser the way to go?
I'm in DFW if anyone has someone they recommend.
Or, is it worth it to have it GIA/IGI certified with the laser inscription?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think for a specialty cut like this I would want a GIA/IGI/GCAL report with facet diagrams, preferably with advanced imaging if available. Both for my own curiosity and insurance replacement purposes in case of loss.

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
I think for a specialty cut like this I would want a GIA/IGI/GCAL report with facet diagrams, preferably with advanced imaging if available. Both for my own curiosity and insurance replacement purposes in case of loss.

That's what my gut is telling me too! Ok, so first step would be get it appraised so I have some paperwork on the stone in case it goes missing on it's way to certification. Is there one group of appraisers that's preferred, like AGA or AGS?
I'm leaning towards GIA, but would love to hear what experiences you've had with sending things to IGI.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results