shape
carat
color
clarity

IGI versus GIA Certification . What is the diff ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BSS

Rough_Rock
Can someone educate me on the Pro''s and Con''s of having a IGI (International Gemoligical Institute) versus a GIA certification.

thanks

IGI is very unreliable and not nearly as highly regarded as GIA. With GIA if they say it''s a G VS2 it''s likely that''s what it really is. With IGI who knows...and thus you are paying for a higher grade than you are likely getting.

Yes that''s right... Please don''t buy an IGI graded diamond. Vendors who use IGI are trying to sell poor quality diamonds and make you think they are better. GIA or AGS are the only way to go. Avoid EGL or IGI. Its sad but the store run by the Navy Exchange uses IGI.they should want to provide our military with the best quality.

Sandra

what is the difference ???....
maybe like 25-30% more for GIA stone with the same grade.

There is a dichotomy between IGI's reputation in the USA and abroad. In places like China they are well known for international standards and reputability. That is not the case stateside. The situation is not helped by the proliferation of "jewelry appraisal" documents that can become abused by sellers.

Date: 12/2/2008 9:17:31 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Are you saying that diamonds with a GIA cert are "priced" higher than diamonds of equal size and the 4 c''s with an ICI certification????

23.gif

Date: 12/2/2008 11:24:03 PM
Author: BSS

Are you saying that diamonds with a GIA cert are ''priced'' higher than diamonds of equal size and the 4 c''s with an ICI certification????

23.gif

Yes. But at the same time a G VS2 from IGI might be graded a I SI2 from GIA...so that needs to be taken into major consideration as well...you aren''t necessarily getting what you are paying for with an IGI cert. You often aren''t in fact.

Date: 12/2/2008 11:33:37 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/2/2008 11:24:03 PM

Are you saying that diamonds with a GIA cert are ''priced'' higher than diamonds of equal size and the 4 c''s with an ICI certification????

23.gif

Yes. But at the same time a G VS2 from IGI might be graded a I SI2 from GIA...so that needs to be taken into major consideration as well...you aren''t necessarily getting what you are paying for with an IGI cert. You often aren''t in fact.

I am having the diamond certified by GIA. I will then compare what they say with the cert. from IGI.
Stay tuned.

BSS
what is the grade on the IGI ?

A diamond graded by GIA is priced according to its market value as if the grades are accurate. Not always the case with accuracy, but darn good.

A diamond graded by IGI (in the USA) is priced somewhere between the grades given and the actual grade of the diamond--usually a substantial discount.

The truth is that IGI is highly competent and I believe they know exactly what they are doing and who their customer is. I don''t see them being called into court or being run out of town. In fact, IGI is a bigger business than GIA. There is more business to be done with the masses than with the classes, I suppose.

All diamonds, with whatever lab grade is provided, can be bought simply based on their accurate grading. We found that diamonds with EGL reports often were the best value because of discounts that really were not justified by the correct grading of the diamond. If we had checked IGI we would have found somewhat similar results, I believe.

It is a complex situation and so long as grading remains somewhat subjective it won''t change. Set a budget and use a wide range of tools to find the right diamond. Which report comes with it is of less concern to those in the know than any other material feature of the diamond itself.

For consumers who need paperwork, GIA and AGS remain on the top of the game in the USA. IGI in India, where I own a large lab operation, is highly respected.

Date: 12/3/2008 1:59:42 AM
BSS
Here are the specs

Color =H

SI1

CT= 1.86

7.80x7.84x4.91

Depth= 62.90

Table 58.50

Cut= Excellent

Symm= Excellent

Girdle= MM

Polish= VG

The ring is priced @ 13,000

Any feedback is greatley appreciated

Date: 12/3/2008 10:16:01 AM

Date: 12/3/2008 1:59:42 AM
BSS
Here are the specs

Color =H

SI1

CT= 1.86

7.80x7.84x4.91

Depth= 62.90

Table 58.50

Cut= Excellent

Symm= Excellent

Girdle= MM

Polish= VG

The ring is priced @ 13,000

Any feedback is greatley appreciated
The price is fine but only if it''s a true H,SI1, but the stone is not an ideal cut and a little deep. take it to an independent appraiser and make sure it checks out. If the stone comes back a lower color and/or clarity, you''re over paying.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP