shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusion on girdle...long story...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Virgo13

Rough_Rock
I would love to hear any information or advice on my dilemma.

We purchased my ring online from a jeweler out of my state. I spoke with the seller several times and felt confident he was honest jeweler. I had a few days grace period to decide if I would keep the ring or return it for a refund. I figured I would have it appraised when I got it to decide if I wanted to keep the ring. We paid $4000 which seemed to be a good deal for what we wanted.

We recieved the ring and it was beautiful--great color, sparkle, size, six-prong setting...
I took it to an appraisal service who appraised it as an H-I color SI 1. The appraisal came back at $8000. At this is point I decided the ring was a what the seller said it was and decided to keep it.

I then wanted to get it sized buy a jeweler who came recomended by a few people. The ring went straight from the apprasier to the jeweler. I got a call the next day that the stone was loose and the prongs needed to be tightened..
I told them to go ahead and fix it. I recv''d the ring back and pleased with the appraisal and the sizing.

A few days later I was looking at my stone and realized I could see some inclusions on the side I hadn''t noticed before. I ran my finger nail across the girdle and felt what I could only describe as a chip or ding in the ring. It is barely visible to the eye but I know it is there and you can see it if you look very very closely.
I called a high end estate jeweler in my area in a panic. They looked at it under a loupe and agreed there was a chip. She said the chip may have been a natural inclusion or possibly the chip was there under a prong the whole time and no one ever caught it and when the prongs were tightened the stone may have shifted to show the inclusion. She said the ring would still be considered an SI 1 or 2. I am sick about the chip and now that I know it is there I can''t even look at my ring without feeling horrible..
I have now had the ring for about 2 weeks so way past the return period.

I guess my questions to you wise folks are what can be done at this point??
Does this inclusion effect the value tremendously? Can it be repaired or recut for a reasonable price. Does this diminish the value. Should I contact the orignal seller or should I talk to the appraiser?
Any ideas would be great-- I have not put my ring on for 2 days because I am so sick over it.

Sorry this is so long but I am really in a panic and any help would be great.
Thanks in advance, J-

Well, it might be able to be polished out, but it might not. You'd need to talk with someone experienced with that stuff about it. As far as who to contact...it's hard because you don't know who did it or when it happened.

It does diminish the value if it changes the grade, but really diamonds aren't investments anyway, so you should just wear it and enjoy it.

You didn't say who the grading report was from either?

What you''re feeling could be a feather breaking the surface, and had indeed been there for the whole time you had the ring. Or, of course, it could be a new chip. I suppose thing one to do would be to call the place you bought it, and see if they can let you return it even though it''s after their return period... if that''s what you''d want to do, of course. If they can''t or you don''t want to, there isn''t a lot of other options. Recutting may or may not be possible.

Possibly the appraiser could shed some light on the situation; I''d call them immediately and see if it was there to begin with. It can take a while to notice every aspect of a new diamond, and might just be that it isn''t a chip but an existing inclusion.

Personally, if you love it anyway, I might just have the stone shifted to put the chip/inclusion under a prong so it''s out of sight. I wouldn''t worry so much about the value; diamonds aren''t investments anyway, you''re never going to sell a diamond for remotely what you paid retail.

FYI, my e-ring stone has a chip as the grade-making clarity characteristic. You can definitely feel it with a fingernail, and without my glasses at juuuust the right angle I can even see it. I had the option to get it polished out, but chose not to. My stone is about 100 years old, so it has an excuse, but it did bug me a bit when I got it at first. Now, 6 months later, I don''t even think about it.

Why don''t you just have it reset and have the "chip" under a prong??

Date: 12/7/2008 6:19:07 PM
Author: beach
Why don''t you just have it reset and have the ''chip'' under a prong??
Ditto
35.gif

Did you buy the stone already set? Did anyone ever see the stone unset? And I take it there is no report on the stone. It's possible the chip was there all the time but just hidden. I wonder if the jeweler could take this up with his vendor. It's one thing to cover an inclusion with a prong but it's another to conceal a flaw that would affect the price.

Date: 12/7/2008 7:52:06 PM
Author: MMT
Date: 12/7/2008 6:19:07 PM

Author: beach

Why don''t you just have it reset and have the ''chip'' under a prong??
Ditto
35.gif

Would that lead to a fissure or a cleavage that would crack it further? because if the answer is "no" then this would seem to solve the problem nicely. I just don''t know how much pressure/tension is used when setting a stone, and I don''t know what it would take to cleave or crack this stone further....

It depends. A diamond setter will be able to tell you. In most cases, it should be fine... Now if there is a feather going deeper into the diamond then they may advise not to... If it was just a chip, then it should not be a problem. People cover chips all the time.

I have thought about just having the stone reset to cover the inclusion/chip but I will still know it is there.

My concern is we did tons of research and knew the quality of stone we wanted. I thought we got a great stone and even had an appraisal done before we decided to keep the ring. Now it is too late and I have a ring that isn''t the quality I expected.

Maybe I am over reacting but I can''t get help but think maybe we were taken by the original seller and paid too much or maybe the jeweler who tightened the prongs chipped the stone. Seems that that appraiser should have seen the inclusion and noted it.

Can anyone give advice about having the stone recut--what does this involve and how much does it cost. Of course it varies case by case but I''m just trying to get an idea.
Thanks again for all the great help and advice.

Date: 12/8/2008 12:05:02 AM
Author: Virgo13
I have thought about just having the stone reset to cover the inclusion/chip but I will still know it is there.

My concern is we did tons of research and knew the quality of stone we wanted. I thought we got a great stone and even had an appraisal done before we decided to keep the ring. Now it is too late and I have a ring that isn''t the quality I expected.

Maybe I am over reacting but I can''t get help but think maybe we were taken by the original seller and paid too much or maybe the jeweler who tightened the prongs chipped the stone. Seems that that appraiser should have seen the inclusion and noted it.

Can anyone give advice about having the stone recut--what does this involve and how much does it cost. Of course it varies case by case but I''m just trying to get an idea.

Thanks again for all the great help and advice.

It does vary wildly, but is a few hundred dollars usually if it can be done.

Taking it to your independent appraiser might be a good idea. If it happened during the setting process you should be able to return it even if it''s past the return period. Do you have any insurance on your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP