shape
carat
color
clarity

Inexperienced buyer needs help!

TKettle

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, looking for some advice. I’m brand new to this site/forum. I was just in Vienna on vacation, where my husband bought me a pair of beautiful old earrings. The main stones are European cut diamonds roughly 1 carat each. This was a spontaneous purchase from whom we think is a reputable estate jewelry dealer in Vienna. At least the store seemed legit and she has been in business for 40+ years. I am now in the flight back to the US and I’m using the 10 hr flight to do some research and found your wonderful and knowledgeable community. I wish I would have found you long ago and would have done my homework before buying these earrings on a whim. We did research pricing before buying and I thought we got a pretty good price - about 40% less than the appraisal value on the certificate of authenticity they provided. I now realize that this really doesn’t mean a great deal because it is not a GIA certificate. I am planning on resetting the large diamonds as solitaires and so it’s been helpful looking at this thread with all the suggestions for settings. The main question I have is how do I get the diamonds GIA certified in the US? Is that even necessary? Or just taking them to a jewelry store to check that they are real is enough? I would appreciate any advice. I’m a little scared that maybe were a bit naive purchasing these earrings without really taking our time to research this properly. IMG_7196.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7198.jpeg
    IMG_7198.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results