shape
carat
color
clarity

Info about CADs?

toaster

Rough_Rock
I'm curious about the whole CAD thing.

If I choose a ring that they already have in their custom area, but the diamonds in that ring are oval and I want round... is it a complete redo? Or is it a matter of they tweak the oval setting area to a round area setting?

Are you asking if the ring can be redone with rounds or if the CADS totally need to be redone?

A picture here would be helpful!

Asking if it's just a matter of modifying the ring to fit rounds vs making a whole new ring? I assumed it was just a matter of making a few adjustments on the head to fit a round vs an oval.... so and "easy" mod.... but they are saying it's making a whole new ring (with a mark up to match!)

I again... assumed.... since it's all done on computer and i thought they would just cut/paste/adjust/tweak/etc the original ovals.....

I seem to be hitting hurdles at every turn! lol!

Asking if it's just a matter of modifying the ring to fit rounds vs making a whole new ring? I assumed it was just a matter of making a few adjustments on the head to fit a round vs an oval.... so and "easy" mod.... but they are saying it's making a whole new ring (with a mark up to match!)

I again... assumed.... since it's all done on computer and i thought they would just cut/paste/adjust/tweak/etc the original ovals.....

I seem to be hitting hurdles at every turn! lol!

This happened to me with a local jeweler - it was a terrible few months. I can’t recommend David Klass enough - he would not recharge you and is happy to tweak CADs until you are happy. So many PSers use him for a reason. 3 months with a local jeweler with stress and anxiety - erased in 2 weeks with him.

It depends on how different the oval and round settings are. If the design can be easily adjusted to fit the round diamonds, they might just tweak it, which would be faster and cheaper. But if the setting requires significant changes to accommodate the new shape, it could mean a complete redo.

This happened to me with a local jeweler - it was a terrible few months. I can’t recommend David Klass enough - he would not recharge you and is happy to tweak CADs until you are happy. So many PSers use him for a reason. 3 months with a local jeweler with stress and anxiety - erased in 2 weeks with him.

I assume that you meant that you CAN recommend DK. But I think she is asking about an existing ring, not just changing a CAD. She wants and existing already made ring changed to accommodate rounds instead of ovals, at least that how I read her question...perhaps I'm wrong.

I assume that you meant that you CAN recommend DK. But I think she is asking about an existing ring, not just changing a CAD. She wants and existing already made ring changed to accommodate rounds instead of ovals, at least that how I read her question...perhaps I'm wrong.

Can’t recommend enough is the right way to put it.

Yes they can change the cads to fit your stones. Even wholly new cads take a few days tops. I wouldn’t worry about it.

No.... not changing an existing ring. it's a ring they offer and make but the head is for oval diamonds and i have and want it made for my round diamonds. (rather than buying new diamonds from them.... i want to reuse my diamonds from a a ring i bought from them previously. they offer customs of their designs and make them and offer tweaks to their designs... but for some reason it seems that my wanting this one is an expensive problem.

they made a CAD of one of their customs for me that would have used a diamond that i would purchase new from them.... but i decided i didn't want to buy a diamond from them and just want to use my current diamonds... all the sudden this new band is over $2000 more than the other one AND the other band (where i would have purchased/upgraded my current diamonds with them) had a diamond band... this new semi mount is strictly metal and all MY diamonds!

i fully expected the price to be close to what the other one was..... not over $2000 more!

i'm probably not explaining it very well... because it's all new to me!

the best i can say is i assumed they had a cad of their design they offer... and just tweak the file once they know a diamond's exact size... like you do any other computer file.... but they are making likes it's a from scratch thing... even though it's just the head shape/size.....

i'm probably not explaining it very well... because it's all new to me!

the best i can say is i assumed they had a cad of their design they offer... and just tweak the file once they know a diamond's exact size... like you do any other computer file.... but they are making likes it's a from scratch thing... even though it's just the head shape/size.....

Okay, so I misunderstood what what going on. If you are asking for a new ring, with just a change from oval to round, and if you bought a NEW diamond from them , it was one price, but if you use your own stones, the price went up by 2k? If i'm reading this right,, then NO, find another jeweler. They were probably over charging you on the new stone they thought you would purchase and now, since that's not what you want, they are trying to get the profit from the making of the ring with your stones. Not sure what style ring you want, but if you have a photo of it, and it's not their artistic design, you could have another jeweler who takes outside stones make it. If it's their design, you should use it as an inspiration, but change it up enough so it's not a copy, Do you have a photo of the setting that you want?

LOL - YES! Can't recommend him enough!!!

They may not have a cad because it may be a stick setting from a supplier and so they are starting from scratch. Seems like they are not a good fit for what you want.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP