shape
carat
color
clarity

Insight on Mandarin Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone,

I was wondring if I could get some opinions on what everyone thought about using a mandarin garnet for an engagement ring. How about a 9X7 E-W oval in a White and SSilver Mokume setting?

Also, Flat or half round band do you think.
1st pic is the flat band,
2nd is the half-round
3rd is the exmaple of what the colors will look like (disregard the gold rail)

Anyone have any opinions on the Pros vs Cons of using a stone other than a diamond for an egagement ring? Do you think that it will only look like another ring and not and engagement ring?

What do you think?
35.gif

Let me try that again...

Mokume Flat.jpg

Sorry, Don''t know how to post more than one at a time...

Mokume half round.jpg

Last one..

Mokume wedding.jpg

Here is the stone... (kinda)

Mandarin Garnet.jpg

I think it will be awesome. IMHO, it''s your engagement and you have the choice of coloured stone or diamond or nothing at all. I know in the distant past, coloured stones were used in engagement rings by the British Royals and other royalties, so it''s not a new or uncommon thing. When worn with the wedding band, I think not too many people will confuse it with a RHR/LHR but there will always be some people who will comment or wonder why you don''t have a diamond because that seems to be the norm these days.

I''m not too sure about the hardiness of garnets for everyday wear but think it should suffice if it is taken off when doing cleaning, yardwork and other hard, hand intensive work.

I really like option 2.

I don't think I'd make a marquise out of them - especially if not large (about 5 carats starts to be "large") because the cut tends to kill color intensity and brilliance.
Otherwise, why on Earth not !

Mandarin garnet is quite something to look at - almost nothing else gets that startling vivid orange that bears the name (btw. the stone in the picture looks way more redish than mandarin). Just try to find an orange sapphire of comparable color saturation. Same goes for diamonds plus the price factor. So if it has to be bright orange, it better be mandarin garnet as far as I am concerned
2.gif

One the aside... some call it simply spesartite; "mandarin" is a slightly overused tradename that some sellers shun. Besides the meaning of it sort of shifts to signify "the best in stock" or to reflect fashion prefferences for one shade or another.

For example, this is the color I have in mind when I hear that name:

4753.jpg
1644sm.jpg

this one below is kid'a yellow - but diamond. I don't think I have seen one of the kind as bright as the other two orange things above. (well, all are just pictures, but at least I know those colors above are feasible for the species)

FIYO33.jpg

I think a mandarin garnet would make a beautiful ering! I like them because they''re so sparkly.

Here''s a picture my spessartite (Mandarin?) Even in an emerald cut, it sparkles like crazy...

widget

Spessertite.JPG

Oh Wow, Thanks.

I really love the Mandarin. I think that the reddish hue is kinda appealing. But I love the way that it just... Just... Oh I don''t know... It is just .. well... Well, dag gummit... I like it...LOL
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
31.gif

I was told that it was hard enough to set... this is true? I am not going to do Marquise, but an oval E-W.... Iam just trying to firgure out if I want a flat band of a half round....

Thanks for the input everyone... please keep the opinions coming!
and kudos of continued thanks to you Ana

Oh Widget that is pretty, what are you going to do with it? You going to do a pendant? A ring?

Thanks!:)

Actually, I''ve had it for years, and will probably keep it for years more without setting it. I keep getting distracted with other projects...
20.gif

widget

I''m a January baby and love love love orange stones, so you know my answer! A friend of mine has a diamond e-ring that is an oval set east-west with a half bezel and a pretty thick (round) band and it looks great. I think an orange garnet would look spectacular in that setting. As for flat vs. rouind band, I tend to prefer square stones in flat bands and round or oval stones in round bands, but that''s just me. And I think if you wear it on your left hand it will look plenty like an e-ring. I''ve been waiting for someone to make an ering out of a garnet!

Here is my situation. I have been annoying PS''s for about 2-3 months now about diamonds and settings and opinions and etc etc. First I wanted a halo, then I round , then I wanted to get a cognac diamond. But then, I started looking at the Mokume Rings. There are manty that I do not like the look of... then I saw one with a spinel? and I was in love... But they showed me one with a round mandarin as well.... Well.. needless to say... I was in love.

I sent out pictures of different rings that I have chosen to be the final one ( this is what I get for the BF giving me the money and allowance for the ring... I can''t make up my mind) to some of my closest freinds. 2 were with diamonds in unique settings and the other was a mokume with Garnet round bezel... well, they all wrote back saying that as soon as they saw it they knew the garnet was for me.

I have always wanted a diamond, but I always want to be different to.
So here I am just wanting reassurance that I am doing the right thing... LOL and bugging PS''s again...LOL

Mine, I think you should go for what makes your heart go pitter patter, and it sounds like you found it! for my vote I like the half round setting (with semi bezel). To me, it has a more feminine look to it.
I am all for people personalizing their engagement ring by using non-traditional stones, etc. It makes it all that more special.
Please post pics when you do complete the project!

style="WIDTH: 96.72%; HEIGHT: 67px">.

I have always wanted a diamond, but I always want to be different to.
So here I am just wanting reassurance that I am doing the right thing... LOL and bugging PS''s again...LOL
Well you can have both -- just have a small diamond set on the inside of the band. Regarding the half-round or flat band, with an east-west oval, my personal preference would be for a flat band -- but it''s your ring and you''ve gotta be happy with it. Try on the half-round and flat -- maybe the comfort is different and that may affect which you untimately choose.

Have fun & post pix!

Thanks everyone, I definitely will. I spent this afteroon looking for someone that could provide me with a Manderin Garnet that I could see before I sent it to the jeweler. I got a bunch of snotty looks and the "That does not exsist, because I have never seen that" UGH!!!!

mine,

i, too, think it will look smashing...but then, i''m doing the same thing with a mokume george sawyer ''h'' band. and i''m thinking of adding champagne diamonds....

i like the cool silver colors you''ll be using to contrast with the warm spess. my understanding is that the spess is hard enough to hold up to every day wear, except yard work/gardening. i''m probably going to bezel the stone as i''m rather hard on jewelry.

another option to check is golden or orange zircon. it is a 9 MOH, just under diamond...and next under diamond also regarding ''sparkle''. i''m not talking cz, i''m talking real zircon.

peace, movie zombie

Mandarin garnets are one of my faves~~~~!
I love the idea of one for an engagement ring.

Date: 3/30/2005 5:53:32 PM
Author: MINE!!
Thanks everyone, I definitely will. I spent this afteroon looking for someone that could provide me with a Manderin Garnet that I could see before I sent it to the jeweler. I got a bunch of snotty looks and the ''That does not exsist, because I have never seen that'' UGH!!!!

Hi all

I think the idea of a spessartite engagement ring is great, so many people get set in their ways - go for something a bit different.
We have attached a picture of some spessartite garnet rough from Nigeria that looks great!
If you are after something like this cut, it may be worth a pm to Richard_M, as he has some of that stone and would be a great choice to do something special.

cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

spessartite-2-AS.jpg

White gold/sterling mokume is really not quite right. Cool metal, warm gem.

Suggest 22k yellow/sterling mokume is really the best match for mandarin garnet. Have done this several times with both Mandarin and padparadscha sapphire. 22k has an orange cast and I then etch the silver which turns it black, the result melds beautifuly with the garnet.

Hey,
Thanks for the imput on the cool vs warm colors. I think that is what is so appealing to me though. I love that it is not the traditional warm color with warm color. I have seen this ring with a mandarin garnet and it is stunning. I love it.

But I understand what you mean about putting warm with warm.. Thanks
17.gif

Mine,

i would do the same as you: warm stone with ''cold'' metal...i think i said it earlier in the thread but i''ll say it again: i think the combo will be stunning. obviously, i also like the unusual. can''t wait to see a post of what you have made...you will post, won''t you?!

peace, movie zombie

Oh Yes Yes absoultely Movie zombie! I can''t wait to show MINE!!
31.gif

LOL!!!

I can''t wait till it is complete!! I just want it to be done NOW...LOL... But I know, good things come to those who wait.

Mine,

which band did you go for?

peace, movie zombie

I am going to do the 4mm 1/2 round. Order is in and the search for the gem begins....

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

What shape and size are you looking for?

Here is what it is going to look like (pretty Much)

garnet mokume.jpg

Date: 4/4/2005 1:39:16 PM
Author: MINE!!
Here is what it is going to look like (pretty Much)
Does this ring exist already ? The color of the garnet looks darn perfect
9.gif

oh, that is so lovely! what size is the garnet? please let me know asap as i''m looking at a really large oval for a similar type setting but in a very wide band....

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results