shape
carat
color
clarity

Ionic Cleaning for Gemstone Jewelry?

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

Not long ago I bought my first morganite jewelry only to encounter the problem of keeping morganite clean (seems the rumors around here about morganite being an "oil magnet" are true). At any rate, despite being fastidious with my existing method of cleaning by hand with a plant-based jewelry cleaner and a brush (Caribbean brand), the stone fogged up forcing me to rethink my methods.

Truth be told, it's been years since I have changed up my method of cleaning jewelry but since it's not realistic to drop in to a jeweler on a weekly basis for a professional cleaning — which is what it took to get my morganite ring looking new again — I am looking to improve my options at home.

I stumbled across an ionic cleaner, which unlike an ultrasonic machine is supposedly is safe for all gemstones, even soft stones like opals. From the Speedbrite website:

"Speedbrite Ionic Jewelry Cleaners work by electrolysis. Ions are attached to dirt and grease rather than metals and stones. Surface tension is reduced permitting dirt, tarnish and oxidation to be lifted away from jewelry or other metal pieces with gentle bubbles without abrasion. No metal is lost. Stones are safely cleaned without potentially damaging friction, heat or abrasion that other cleaners produce. Rinsing and drying after immersion naturally enhances renewed lustre."

Q: Has anyone had any experience with ionic cleaning?

The price for the unit is a bit steep. I'm wondering if it's worth it. Thank you!

"For general care of morganite, clean it using warm soapy water and a soft brush, then dry with a soft cloth. Avoid rough handling, and store jewelry items separately to prevent abrasion damage."

Hi Lunalzzy,

Thanks for the reply. I don’t wear jewelry to bed, in showers, pools, hot tubs or while doing any rough housework/gardening — so it was a bit of a shock when my new ring started looking hazy despite my best efforts. (To the point where I thought that the clarity had somehow shifted on me because I was initially “sure” that it couldn’t possibly be dirty after so many attempts to clean it.)

Many years ago I cleaned my jewelry with an ultrasonic but that ended when a small diamond fell out of one of my rings. I was content to use a brush (with a gentle cleaner by Caribbean Gems) but this ring has mostly enclosed sides and back so the method described doesn’t work so well.

I first contacted GIA after reading similar care information on their morganite page. They took a look at my setting and suggested I take it to a professional for cleaning. The jeweler used ultrasonic and steam to clean it up. It looks like new now but the question is how to maintain it. (I was surprised to learn upon searching PS that cleaning methods have had relatively little discussion, at least not with the word “ionic” in the search.)

I take it due to lack of reply this method isn’t something many people can personally comment upon? If so, any other suggestions?

Here is a photo of the ring after the professional cleaning:IMG_9322_Morganite_heart_ring.jpeg

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics