shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there an antique/vintage locket thread? I didn't find one.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up this vintage locket on the Goodwill auction site. Had been looking for one and won this for what I thought was a reasonable price. Thought I'd post it in the locket thread, but I don't think there is one. Does anyone know? I'll probably wear it backwards as that is what is fully engraved.

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_7747.JPG

Of course! I think most lockets tend to be antique or vintage anyway.

i got one from workmates for my 21st in ...... 1992
im not quite an antigue yet - can i be retro for a few more years before i move into vintage territory ? :lol-2:
oh my locket is silver and smallish, has some engraving and stuffed with cat fur
i should wear it again

anyway great idea to start a new thread

okay, well that is the only locket that I have so I feel kind of silly starting another thread for it. Can someone else get it started with their lockets and then I can pop this one in?

Sadly, I don’t have any lockets right now (the one I had was sold ages ago). I hope to add to this thread some day! Great locket, @Lookinagain :kiss2:

okay, well that is the only locket that I have so I feel kind of silly starting another thread for it. Can someone else get it started with their lockets and then I can pop this one in?

my phone is still having issues plus my locket is small
but i'll bump this so someone can get it rolling

I would love to see your locket, @Daisys and Diamonds !

@Lookinagain the engraving on yours is stunning, so detailed and organic.

Here is mine, it’s hallmarked for 1868 so I think it belongs here:
IMG_3291.jpegIMG_3293.jpegIMG_3294.jpeg

Beautiful!

Is it family piece, or did you buy it? I ask because, as a mourning locket, it would probably have held a picture of a widow's deceased husband, a lock of his hair, or some other keepsake. So it might feel a bit spooky for someone else to wear it, especially someone outside the family. But maybe the spookiness wears off after a century or so?

My sister has a mourning pendant (black enamel, gold cross with pearls - sorry, no picture) inherited from our great grandmother. She wore it at my mother's funeral, which seemed appropriate. But I'm not sure about other occasions.

Beautiful!

Is it family piece, or did you buy it? I ask because, as a mourning locket, it would probably have held a picture of a widow's deceased husband, a lock of his hair, or some other keepsake. So it might feel a bit spooky for someone else to wear it, especially someone outside the family. But maybe the spookiness wears off after a century or so?

My sister has a mourning pendant (black enamel, gold cross with pearls - sorry, no picture) inherited from our great grandmother. She wore it at my mother's funeral, which seemed appropriate. But I'm not sure about other occasions.

Omg! It was gifted to me by a friend after I mentioned I was becoming interested in antique jewelry. She shops a lot when she travels and finds some neat trinkets abroad. I’m still learning, though, so I wasn’t aware of the likely use for the locket, but that makes a lot of sense especially given the period. Thank you for teaching me something new! Nothing was inside when I received it, so no clues there. I actually hadn’t worn it yet as I don’t have a chain that suits it well, but now I’m finding it a little spooky indeed…maybe something to admire respectfully in the jewelry box rather than wear myself!

Omg! It was gifted to me by a friend after I mentioned I was becoming interested in antique jewelry. She shops a lot when she travels and finds some neat trinkets abroad. I’m still learning, though, so I wasn’t aware of the likely use for the locket, but that makes a lot of sense especially given the period. Thank you for teaching me something new! Nothing was inside when I received it, so no clues there. I actually hadn’t worn it yet as I don’t have a chain that suits it well, but now I’m finding it a little spooky indeed…maybe something to admire respectfully in the jewelry box rather than wear myself!

i brought a couple of antique Victorian whitby jet necklaces
i do not know their history but im trying to make them happy
so most probably mourning jewellery also

your locket is beautiful, too beautiful not to be worn again
its kinda sad for the imediate family of the deceased that the locket has left the family, but you can love it for them and give it a 2nd life

i did think tradionally mourning jewellery was in silver and not gold ???
good luck
keep us posted

i brought a couple of antique Victorian whitby jet necklaces
i do not know their history but im trying to make them happy
so most probably mourning jewellery also

your locket is beautiful, too beautiful not to be worn again
its kinda sad for the imediate family of the deceased that the locket has left the family, but you can love it for them and give it a 2nd life

i did think tradionally mourning jewellery was in silver and not gold ???
good luck
keep us posted

Aww I love your philosophy! Your antique Victorian whitby jet necklaces are lucky to have their 2nd lives with your kind spirit. And the idea of caring for orphaned jewellery is pulling at my heartstrings now. It seems beautiful in a way to appreciate and bring happiness to the jewelry created to memorialize something sad. I suppose that’s just as much a part of the human experience as the pieces that brought joy to someone before us.

Also that’s interesting about mourning jewellery traditionally being silver, I hadn’t picked up on that! I have so much to learn. Thank you!

the fact your friend gifted it to you is happy :appl:

Whenever I see mourning jewellery, I think of the love that bound the one who departed and the one who remained behind. I don’t find it spooky, but rather sweet. But I can definitely understand if it’s a put-off for people. :) But I just wanted to share another take on things, even if I’m the only one who thinks this way.

i want to see the mourning jewelley that the British royal family must have in the back of the vault, not just Queen Victoria would have worn it

anyway getting back to lockets, two different people walked into work on saturday with gold lockets so they are still being worn out there :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP