shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surflbi23

Rough_Rock
Hi, first post- this is a very helpful site. In the market for a stone, (for engagaement ring) got a price of $10,000 for this stone
2.50 CT
Round Brilliant
9.09-8.98x5.18mm
depth - 57.4
table - 64%
Crown 8.8%
Pavilion 44.3%
Girdle- Sl. thick to thick faceted
Culet- very small
Polish- very good
symmetry- good
Clarity Grade- SI2
Color - H
Fluorscence- None
it is has a EGL certificate

It seems to me the depth and table are off and thats why its a low price, not sure what to do, any help would be great. Thank you!!!

You are right about the depth and table however alot of the numbers are off. It is also an EGL cert. which makes it very important to get other opnion before buying. EGL certs often not as accurate as GIA and AGS and are not as described. I would personally avoid this stone because of the odd proportions and questionable cut. What is your budget? People may be able to recommend other stones...

Here is a link that will help you with searching for a diamond with ideal proportions.
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

ALso, use the Cut Advisor in the Tools sections (top of page) to help you weed out diamonds. Anything below a 2 is worth considering.

Please run, this stone is very poorly cut. Poor cut= no sparkle.

I really agree that you might want to do some studying on diamond cut quality before looking any further! A good quality stone of that size will cost two or three times that price. Please stick to excellent or ideal cut stones. Use this search tool and put in excellent-excellent for cut and check GIA and AGS for labs.

https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

Ditto - horrendous table - aircraft carrier size

2.gif
Keep looking
1.gif

It''s not too good to be true, you get what you pay for. If it''s looks crazy cheap, there is a reason.

The first two stones Mrs W posted are nice. They will give you an idea of what a really well cut stone in that size should cost.

surflbi23,
The last diamond is a good caninadate too, the reason why Honey22 dubbed it bad was the bc of the 41 Pavillion angle. 41 Pavillion angles are not bad in some cases, if you are interested in the stone read this and get an Idealscope of the diamond, just ask jamesallen for one and they will supply it.
21.gif

Actually, the GOG stone has a 41 Pavillian angle too....

Surf,

Just so you further get the picture...other diamonds can be had with the same certification, size, color & clarity...for cheaper, and on this board. Like this one. Solomon Brothers sells one slightly smaller too for $7500.

Take better advantage of the resources here. You did not stumble across such a unique find.

Date: 11/30/2008 4:12:12 PM
Author: Mrs W
surflbi23,

The last diamond is a good caninadate too, the reason why Honey22 dubbed it bad was the bc of the 41 Pavillion angle. 41 Pavillion angles are not bad in some cases, if you are interested in the stone read this and get an Idealscope of the diamond, just ask jamesallen for one and they will supply it.
21.gif

Actually, the GOG stone has a 41 Pavillian angle too....

Mrs W Did you read my post?! I didn''t ''dub that stone bad''. I just preferred the other two stones. And not for the reason you have posted. Please don''t make assumptions like that, it had nothing to do with it. I checked out the stones individually and noted my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP