shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Star Sapphire worth setting? Need advice

MariMeow

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! Long time no see :)

So, I found a cute little star sapphire online and got it for really cheap. From the videos I saw, it was evident it had some issues (oval not perfectly symmetric, possible color zoning with a yellow spot), all understandable for an unheated natural sapphire. I was curious enough that I thought I could take a gamble on it.

I got it in the mail today.

The positives:
- It's a 2.6ct oval sapphire. 8mm x 6mm.
- The color is very light grey with a lilac undertone, almost like lace agate. Good transparency with only a bit of visible hexagon growth.
- The star is INCREDIBLE, a bit off-center on the Y axis but pretty sharp.

The issues:
- The imperfect symmetry is due to a chip which goes all the way to the back of the stone. Part of the back is uneven, like part of it probably broke off. Maybe this could be fixed with a bezel setting. Maybe.
- The yellow spot turned out to be a surface-reaching inclusion where a bit of yellow dirt got stuck. Cleaning it helped, but there's still a little bit of yellow dirt in there.

None of this bothers me too much, it's still a completely magical stone, but I can see why it was discarded and thrown in the cheapies bin. I'm afraid it could be difficult for any jeweler to work with or that it might look out of place on a much more expensive setting.

Is it worth rescuing?
I can't help but think that, if I were intentionally looking for a Star Sapphire, I could find something way better for not much more.

Daylight photos coming tomorrow.

Flash photo showing hexagon growth, chip, surface scratch with yellow dirt, and THE STAR:
IMG_2270.jpg

The chipped back with the same yellow dirt:
IMG_2279.jpg

3/4 view:
IMG_2280.jpg

That’s not a chip in the back. It’s what we call a natural in diamond land. Likely it was just a part of the gem the cutter left unpolished. I’ve had two star sapphires with similar areas on the back.

And the yellow in the stone likely isn’t dirt. The crack is, again, most likely a surface reaching inclusions and the yellow is a bit of another mineral in the stone. I’ve had stars with inclusions of other coloured material inside as well.

It’s a pretty gem. I might set it in sterling silver.

I agree. It's pretty. I would not invest a ton in it. The higher the opacity, the more amazing the star, typically. That yellow spot and the uneven perimeter would probably bug me -- but I've gotten more selective over the decades.

I say wear it. Stars need to be enjoyed and worn in various light. The only ring I ever had that strangers randomly complimented me on was a huge opaque (and I mean really opaque) gray star sapphire with the most incredible star.

That’s not a chip in the back. It’s what we call a natural in diamond land. Likely it was just a part of the gem the cutter left unpolished. I’ve had two star sapphires with similar areas on the back.

And the yellow in the stone likely isn’t dirt. The crack is, again, most likely a surface reaching inclusions and the yellow is a bit of another mineral in the stone. I’ve had stars with inclusions of other coloured material inside as well.

It’s a pretty gem. I might set it in sterling silver.

Oooh, thank you so much for this! Now I've learned something new.

Did you end up doing anything with those similar star sapphires?
By the way, your ring from Yvonne is GORGEOUS!!! Love the way you played up the color of the stone with the choice of side stones.

As for the silver setting idea, that could work! It definitely suits more of a boho style ring, but definitely not the crazy halo ideas I had before seeing it in person :lol:

Last edited:
I agree. It's pretty. I would not invest a ton in it. The higher the opacity, the more amazing the star, typically. That yellow spot and the uneven perimeter would probably bug me -- but I've gotten more selective over the decades.

I say wear it. Stars need to be enjoyed and worn in various light. The only ring I ever had that strangers randomly complimented me on was a huge opaque (and I mean really opaque) gray star sapphire with the most incredible star.

Thank you, LilAlex! I took a look at your profile to see if you had shared a photo of that ring, but I couldn't find any. Do you still wear it?

Three more photos in daylight/sunlight.

Indoors, and on the hand for color and size reference:

IMG_2303.jpg

Maybe something east-west? Without a flat back, it's SO difficult to balance it on the hand!

IMG_2305.jpg

The star in sunlight :kiss2:

IMG_2307.jpg

To be honest, personally, the flaws would drive me nuts. I end up buying a lot more stones than I set. If I'm not sure I really like a gem, I won't be happy with it for long in a piece of jewelry. And then that's just getting in deeper with the cost. Just my opinion, though. :)

To be honest, personally, the flaws would drive me nuts. I end up buying a lot more stones than I set. If I'm not sure I really like a gem, I won't be happy with it for long in a piece of jewelry. And then that's just getting in deeper with the cost. Just my opinion, though. :)

Ugh, I completely get what you mean, I also have stones I've never set for one reason or another. Maybe that's normal for us PSers :lol:

But you're completely right, it would be kinda sad to have it set in jewelry only to end up not wearing it much.

I think it’s lovely! Even when it’s not showing the asterism, it’s still a very pleasant gem. I agree that sterling or high-grade silver would look nice, however I wouldn’t dismiss a low-karat gold either if you’re wanting a different look.

I was trying to decide if yellow gold would highlight the yellowish color of the natural in a pretty and intentional way or in a bad way. Can you take photos of it laying in silver and gold that you already own to see what you think? The overall color and shape are so cute.

Did you end up doing anything with those similar star sapphires?
By the way, your ring from Yvonne is GORGEOUS!!! Love the way you played up the color of the stone with the choice of side stones.

Both star sapphires I have owned — the original that was damaged and the replacement set by Yvonne — had uneven bottoms and rust/yellow colored inclusions. They were both pink/purple unheated sapphires.

And thank you for the compliment! It is a dream ring for sure.

Hi all! Long time no see :)

So, I found a cute little star sapphire online and got it for really cheap. From the videos I saw, it was evident it had some issues (oval not perfectly symmetric, possible color zoning with a yellow spot), all understandable for an unheated natural sapphire. I was curious enough that I thought I could take a gamble on it.

I got it in the mail today.

The positives:
- It's a 2.6ct oval sapphire. 8mm x 6mm.
- The color is very light grey with a lilac undertone, almost like lace agate. Good transparency with only a bit of visible hexagon growth.
- The star is INCREDIBLE, a bit off-center on the Y axis but pretty sharp.

The issues:
- The imperfect symmetry is due to a chip which goes all the way to the back of the stone. Part of the back is uneven, like part of it probably broke off. Maybe this could be fixed with a bezel setting. Maybe.
- The yellow spot turned out to be a surface-reaching inclusion where a bit of yellow dirt got stuck. Cleaning it helped, but there's still a little bit of yellow dirt in there.

None of this bothers me too much, it's still a completely magical stone, but I can see why it was discarded and thrown in the cheapies bin. I'm afraid it could be difficult for any jeweler to work with or that it might look out of place on a much more expensive setting.

Is it worth rescuing?
I can't help but think that, if I were intentionally looking for a Star Sapphire, I could find something way better for not much more.

Daylight photos coming tomorrow.

Flash photo showing hexagon growth, chip, surface scratch with yellow dirt, and THE STAR:
IMG_2270.jpg

The chipped back with the same yellow dirt:
IMG_2279.jpg

3/4 view:
IMG_2280.jpg

i think its too pretty to be left unset
i like the stirling silver idea
but id also like a look at it in say a 10k rose gold ???????????????????

i think its too pretty to be left unset
i like the stirling silver idea
but id also like a look at it in say a 10k rose gold ???????????????????

I thought of that as well! The rose gold is said to bring out the blues and purples in a stone. 10k would be even redder, so it could be.

I'll try to get a photo with all 3 metal colors and see how the stone reacts to each. Thank you!

Thank you, LilAlex! I took a look at your profile to see if you had shared a photo of that ring, but I couldn't find any. Do you still wear it?

Can you review photos that way? I once thought I could but now I can't see how -- maybe I'm thinking of another forum.

I don't think I've ever posted this one. My wife got it for me -- admittedly after I had admired it on the bottom (= cheap) shelf of an estate jeweler. It was my second ring, after my $99 wedding band. I'll see if I have a photo.

Edit: it's a "cool" gray in 14K (or lower) YG and I would not have picked these two together but it looks OK.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP