shape
carat
color
clarity

Itty bitty natural ruby deco ring

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This goes out to all you fellow ruby lovers with tiny budgets.

I've been craving a richly red ruby ring (who hasn't?), but I don't have a $50K budget for a big natural beauty. I don't even have a $1K budget. So my choices were: Get a synthetic, get something tiny, or get incredibly lucky. I pored through ebay, etsy, TRR, poshmark, etc, hunting for an unheated, 4 carat, perfectly red treasure being sold as a garnet, but so far no luck.

But I did find this little ring, which will have to tide me over until Lady Luck strikes. The ruby is teeny tiny, just 3 x 4mm, a third of a carat at most--the color and size of a raspberry drupelet. It's in its original ~1910-30 art deco setting, platinum with single-cut diamonds. The setting is very worn, with the engraving mostly gone, and the ruby's table facets are very abraded. The stone sings with light in the sun. My photos aren't really showing the beautiful, deep, bright red color.

I would say the hunt is over, but of course the hunt is never over. That huge, perfect, natural, sold-as-garnet ring is out there, and I'm going to find it.

IMG_9892.jpeg

In sunlight, early evening on the solstice:
IMG_9852.jpeg

It gets much pinker in the sun. The fluorescence is fierce!
IMG_9904.jpeg

With a sapphire ring from the same era:
IMG_9914.jpeg

See? Silk! Natural! (Also, very abraded facets.) I took this photo with my cheap little digital microscope.
Photo on 6-21-24 at 10.26 AM.jpeg

Fluorescence (the diamonds, too):
IMG_9876.jpeg

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
God that fluor photo is AMAZING. I love finding little treasures to tide me over until I get my dream item, most of the time I find that I'm just happy with my little treasures instead :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
love it.
Its one of those things you look at it and think.. if this thing could talk.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do any of you ruby smartypantses know whether the rutile silk photo can tell us if this little ruby is heated? (Whew, that was a complicated sentence!) Too blurry, maybe? These are the sharpest photos my microscope can manage.

Here's another angle, just in case it helps:
Photo on 6-21-24 at 10.28 AM.jpeg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fantastic. I love everything about your ruby including the signs that someone wore it long and a lot. I love the photos of silk! I love the endless way it performs in all kinds of light. Bravo!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the rutile photos!!!!

The ring and stone is gorgeous!

I think from what I’ve read - that rutile disappears at the temperature at which is the division definition between low and high heat.
So - could be low heat.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do any of you ruby smartypantses know whether the rutile silk photo can tell us if this little ruby is heated? (Whew, that was a complicated sentence!) Too blurry, maybe? These are the sharpest photos my microscope can manage.

Here's another angle, just in case it helps:
Photo on 6-21-24 at 10.28 AM.jpeg

Only a lab looking at the stone can say no evidence of heating with a large degree of certainty.
I would venture a personal guess of low heat at most but have no professional opinion on it.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, gem friends! I wonder if it would be worth the $85 to drop it off at GIA and learn its origin and possible treatment.

I should probably save my pennies for when I find that giant actually-a-ruby garnet I'm hoping for, right? Or for a better microscope.

I measured again and now think it's no more than a quarter carat at most.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color of your ruby is so lush. Quite red, pink red, purplish pink. And extremely fluorescent.

I’m curious how you spotted it and assessed the color from afar. Did you think it would be this vibrant? I’m curious about your discovery process and what about this ruby stood out.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhh it is lovely! That color! That fluorescence! That SILK! Congrats, it looks like a gem of a gem.

I love looking through the Hyperion database at Lotus Gemology for fun (I love microscopes): https://lotusgemology.com/resources/hyperion-inclusion-repository?view=gallery

Perhaps you may be able to compare your rutile silk with some photos there of heated and unheated ruby? There are some simply stunning images there. Here are two of my favorites for unheated ruby: IMG_2186.jpeg
IMG_2188.jpeg

And here is an article on rutile silk, Figure 4 may be helpful for understanding the effect of heat on rutile structure: https://ruby-sapphire.com/articles/767-rutile-silk-in-ruby-sapphire-following-the-silk-road

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The color of your ruby is so lush. Quite red, pink red, purplish pink. And extremely fluorescent.

I’m curious how you spotted it and assessed the color from afar. Did you think it would be this vibrant? I’m curious about your discovery process and what about this ruby stood out.

No, I was pleasantly surprised by the color. The photos were accurate, but I had no idea whether they would be. It was sort of an educated guess--or maybe an educated hope.

How I found it: I figured new ruby rings would be either out of my budget, highly treated, or both--and anyway, I prefer old things to new things. I'm good at recognizing genuine antiques, so I combed ebay, etsy, poshmark, TRR, etc. for antique ruby rings with attractive settings and prices that were reasonable for the setting alone.

I squinted at the listings I was considering, trying to figuring out whether each stone was original to its setting, which would increase the chance of getting a nice ruby, or at least decrease the chance of getting a horrible one. Of course, synthetics were being used when this ring was made, and this might have been one of them. The seller listed it as natural, though, so I would have had a case for a return if it had turned out to be synthetic.

This ruby seemed likely to be original because it had the same degree of wear as the setting. I was skeptical about the seller's claim that it was natural, but the price was good, so the risk wasn't high. Most of the antique ruby rings I found had bigger rubies and asking prices in the thousands. This one was basically the cheapest attractive antique ruby ring I could find. So I took a chance and bought it.

I also considered @lulu_ma 's amazing ruby ring on louptroop, which somebody should buy! It's an incredible deal. But my little ring was more affordable to me, and I thought lulu_ma's beauty would be a fancy-occasion ring for me, while this one is modest enough for me to wear it every day.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhh it is lovely! That color! That fluorescence! That SILK! Congrats, it looks like a gem of a gem.

I love looking through the Hyperion database at Lotus Gemology for fun (I love microscopes): https://lotusgemology.com/resources/hyperion-inclusion-repository?view=gallery

Perhaps you may be able to compare your rutile silk with some photos there of heated and unheated ruby? There are some simply stunning images there. Here are two of my favorites for unheated ruby: IMG_2186.jpeg
IMG_2188.jpeg

And here is an article on rutile silk, Figure 4 may be helpful for understanding the effect of heat on rutile structure: https://ruby-sapphire.com/articles/767-rutile-silk-in-ruby-sapphire-following-the-silk-road

Yes! I've been poring through the Hugheses' photos myself. (Yes, that really is the proper plural possessive of that name--my grammarian friend says so!) I saw lots of examples of rutile silk in unheated rubies and some in heated rubies, but I wasn't confident I could recognize the subtleties of the differences between them. Especially with my cheap little microscope. I'll read that article carefully--thank you.

Stop buying jewelry, Glitterata! Buy a decent microscope instead!

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Yes! I've been poring through the Hugheses' photos myself. (Yes, that really is the proper plural possessive of that name--my grammarian friend says so!) I saw lots of examples of rutile silk in unheated rubies and some in heated rubies, but I wasn't confident I could recognize the subtleties of the differences between them. Especially with my cheap little microscope. I'll read that article carefully--thank you.

Stop buying jewelry, Glitterata! Buy a decent microscope instead!

Haha I’d go in on a decent microscope with you! (Perhaps next year though, as I am giving @Dr_Diesel ‘s gorgeous French OMC a forever home, yay!!!)

BTW, good to know about the proper plural possessive for Hughes. I have a friend with that surname and I’ve never been sure. Anyway I love love love their images too!

There’s probably much more info than that article out there! That was just the first one that my insomnia found when I became curious about rubies, and I’m trying to resist going down a rabbit hole that would lead to a potential corundum purchase for now. Or an amazing microscope, which could potentially do even more wallet damage. But I’ll share if I find anything interesting, and please do the same!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
This goes out to all you fellow ruby lovers with tiny budgets.

I've been craving a richly red ruby ring (who hasn't?), but I don't have a $50K budget for a big natural beauty. I don't even have a $1K budget. So my choices were: Get a synthetic, get something tiny, or get incredibly lucky. I pored through ebay, etsy, TRR, poshmark, etc, hunting for an unheated, 4 carat, perfectly red treasure being sold as a garnet, but so far no luck.

But I did find this little ring, which will have to tide me over until Lady Luck strikes. The ruby is teeny tiny, just 3 x 4mm, a third of a carat at most--the color and size of a raspberry drupelet. It's in its original ~1910-30 art deco setting, platinum with single-cut diamonds. The setting is very worn, with the engraving mostly gone, and the ruby's table facets are very abraded. The stone sings with light in the sun. My photos aren't really showing the beautiful, deep, bright red color.

I would say the hunt is over, but of course the hunt is never over. That huge, perfect, natural, sold-as-garnet ring is out there, and I'm going to find it.

IMG_9892.jpeg

In sunlight, early evening on the solstice:
IMG_9852.jpeg

It gets much pinker in the sun. The fluorescence is fierce!
IMG_9904.jpeg

With a sapphire ring from the same era:
IMG_9914.jpeg

See? Silk! Natural! (Also, very abraded facets.) I took this photo with my cheap little digital microscope.

Fluorescence (the diamonds, too):
IMG_9876.jpeg

What a spectacular find!!!! It’s gorgeous! That COLOR!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
BTW, good to know about the proper plural possessive for Hughes. I have a friend with that surname and I’ve never been sure. Anyway I love love love their images too!

I wrote "the Hugheses' photos" because the photos are from the whole Hughes family. All the Hugheses took the photos.

If you wanted to refer to a photo by one of the Hugheses, you would write (for example) "Ms. Hughes's photo." That is, the singular possessive of Hughes is Hughes's.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, gorgeous color and ring! It certainly packs a punch. I consider my ruby to be small compared to most of my other stones, but it holds its own. I have a feeling yours will do the same.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

I pored through ebay, etsy, TRR, poshmark, etc, hunting for an unheated, 4 carat, perfectly red treasure being sold as a garnet, but so far no luck.

I felt this. :lol-2: Is there anyone who hasn't thought this was a fleeting possibility? lol Only one time has this happened to me, and it was a turquoise necklace I had been coveting but couldn't find. The seller didn't know it was designer and just listed/sold it as a basic turq necklace. Saved a few $$$. But I like your scenario better!

Anyway... you couldn't want much more from the color!! It's quite vivid and clean. And the antique mounting suits it to a T. It's lovely, enjoy!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I felt this. :lol-2: Is there anyone who hasn't thought this was a fleeting possibility? lol Only one time has this happened to me, and it was a turquoise necklace I had been coveting but couldn't find. The seller didn't know it was designer and just listed/sold it as a basic turq necklace. Saved a few $$$. But I like your scenario better!

Anyway... you couldn't want much more from the color!! It's quite vivid and clean. And the antique mounting suits it to a T. It's lovely, enjoy!

Well, I did buy a ring with a pair of 7mm "synthetic" purple sapphires last year that GIA says are natural. And one time I bought an $18 pair of "vintage 1960s silverplate tongs" that turned out to be sterling silver from c. 1690. And then there were the "Victorian" earrings I bought for the gold melt value that turned out to be almost 2 millennia old. So I'm pretty sure I will find that "garnet" ruby ring someday...

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Well, I did buy a ring with a pair of 7mm "synthetic" purple sapphires last year that GIA says are natural. And one time I bought an $18 pair of "vintage 1960s silverplate tongs" that turned out to be sterling silver from c. 1690. And then there were the "Victorian" earrings I bought for the gold melt value that turned out to be almost 2 millennia old. So I'm pretty sure I will find that "garnet" ruby ring someday...

glitterata, I remember the pupple sapphires, wow. Evidently you have the gift. Soldier on.

I'm rooting for you! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results