shape
carat
color
clarity

JA Pave Solitaire or BGD Three Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missy_rose

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post after lurking for more than 3 years! I have a dilemma here because I cannot decide between 2 settings (JA French Cut Pave and BGD Crossed Trellis) and would greatly appreciate all of your input.

1) James Allen French Cut Pave:

Link:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-1936.asp

Here are some pictures of the ring from some of the ladies on this Board who has this setting (I hope it''s okay to post these..):

Idealistic:

IMG_3874_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1802_edited-3.jpg

miranda.danny:

20090608-IMG_3580.jpg

2) BGD Crossed Trellis

Link:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5460

Here are Phoenix’s pictures of her new BGD Crossed Trellis (again I hope it is okay to post these pictures):

Bella_1.jpg

Bella_2.jpg

Bella_3.jpg

So here’s the thing: A dainty 2 mm pave solitaire setting is something I’ve always thought I wanted, like this was my dream setting for the past 2 years. However, when I saw pictures of Phoenix’s BGD Crossed Trellis in SMTR, my heart completely skipped a beat and I quickly fell in love with this particular three stone setting. So now I love both settings pretty much equally.

Here are a few thoughts of mine:

1) In terms of the actual stone sizes themselves, if we go the BGD Crossed Trellis route, our budget can accommodate a 1.5ct round and 0.5ct side stones (so what I want will look very similar to Phoenix’s ring). If we go the JA French Cut Pave route, our budget can only accommodate up to 1.7-1.8 ct centre stone (We could do a 2.0 ct but that would totally break the budget). The thing for me is, the difference between a 1.5 and a 1.7-1.8 is not that substantial, so if I go for the Crossed Trellis, the finger coverage would be amazing compared to the JA French Cut Pave. Also, my finger size is 3.5, so the three stone would DEFINITELY pop.

2) Another issue, if I go with the JA French Cut Pave, I can only wear the matching band. However, if I go with the BGD Crossed Trellis, I can have a few different bands to play with because I think three stone settings are much more versatile in terms of wedding band compatibility, so that is another pro for the Crossed Trellis.

3) Most of my friends that I’ve consulted with prefer the JA pave solitaire, but I think it’s just because they are so used to seeing solitaires as engagement rings. Many of my friends see three-stone rings more as anniversary rings than e-rings. The majority of the girls I know who are engaged/married have plain band solitaires, like the Tiffany setting (except for one girl who has a Tiffany Novo replica). So if I get a three stone, it would be more unique among all the people I know (and more finger coverage!)

4) We will most likely upgrade the stone and setting in the future. So whatever I decide to go with now, I can upgrade to the other option 5 or 10 years down the road. I was thinking - if I go with the 1.7-1.8 ct JA French Cut Pave now, I can upgrade later by buying two 0.75ct side stones in the future and put this into a three stone setting. Or, if I go with the 1.5 ct BGD Crossed Trellis with 0.5 ct sides, in the future we can set the two 0.5 ct into a pair of stud earrings and then upgrade the 1.5 ct into a 2.0+ ct pave solitaire setting.

So I would really appreciate your thoughts on this! Sorry for the long post. Thanks all.

Oh the BGD Crossed Trellis is to die for. Both are great, but I''d go for the BGD. The proportions are just perfect.

I would get the bigger diamond in the solitaire now and then put it in a three stone later!
2.gif

Why dont you go buy some nice "fakes" of a 3 stone trellis and a solitare with pave in the band. Wear them for a couple of weeks each
(or more) then decide which you like better. I dont think you are limited to just the matching band with the french cut pave.

Sounds like you have a good upgrade plan down the road for whichever one you choose.

My initial thought was the JA. I like DD''s idea.

I had a 3-diamond trellis ring (by Jeff Cooper) for my first e-ring. Next time (divorced) I hope to have a solitaire because I find that sidestones really diminish the size of the center stone. It just makes this illusion of bling while not being able to really see the center stone very well. I vote for option 1 :)

This is a tough choice - they are both very nice rings. I like the JA design but that specific ring is turning me off - there is way too much metal between the pave and takes away from the beauty.

I like them both, but I am leaning towards the BDG three stone. I think the look is elegant and with the size of diamonds you are considering, it will give you a nice amount of finger coverage.

The JA french cut pave is a setting I was considering for a RHR, but I also don''t like the gaps between the diamonds, and I am not crazy about an open 4 pronged head for an everyday ring.

Missy Rose,

Thank you for the kind words about my crossed trellis ring.
1.gif

I actually have a solitaire ring and a 3-stone ring (both upgraded), so I can tell you how I feel about both styles. A 3-stone ring is more like an anniversary/ RHR (in fact the ring shown is my RHR) whereas a solitaire is more like an engagement ring. I *personally* feel that the most budget should be spent on the engagement ring, as it'd get the most attention
3.gif
,and it'd be the one that you'd look at and love the most - if you're anything like me
2.gif
1.gif

You say you're likely to upgrade in the future, so this is what I'd do: I'd get the biggest solitaire you could get now, set it with a relatively inexpensive setting (either a JA or BGD); save up and trade up to a larger stone in the future. Then if you still really yearn for a 3-stone later on - perhaps on your anniversari(es) - get two sidestones to add to that larger upgraded centre diamond. I'd buy the most inexpensive settings out there until you're really sure which style would capture your heart the most.

This way, although you may have to upgrade in several stages, at least you'd have time to really ponder what you really want and also save up along the way. You'd also not waste too much money on settings that you may end up throwing away (speaking from my own personal experience!
8.gif
).

Just my 2 cents.

ETA: Even if you end up with a 3-stone ring as your "final" upgrade and you decide at that time you miss the solitaire look, you could then remove the sidestones and set them as earrings. But I'd do this stage later as opposed to earlier. Then you could have your cake and eat it too!
31.gif
11.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results