shape
carat
color
clarity

JannPaul's Pear Nova and Pear 2.0 - Thoughts?

Bookwyrm

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was super excited to hear that JannPaul reinvented the pear and came out with the Pear Nova and Pear 2.0, as I absolutely LOVE the look of pear-shaped diamonds, but didn't really love the inferior light performance. But the Pear Nova and Pear 2.0 seem to have really good light performance despite being pears! I may look into a pear diamond for my next piece, and was wondering, do you guys think that JannPaul's pears would perform as well as ideal-cut round brilliants or ideal-cut old European cuts? Or how well do you think JannPaul's pears would perform compared to Distinctive Gem's? I also wonder whether the JannPaul pears would be as sparkly as some of their other cuts, like the Octagon Nova and Decagon. (Sometimes I honestly wonder why JannPaul isn't more popular, given the number of diamond shapes they've reinvented to offer much better light return!)

If there are any other pear-lovers out there, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I remember reading this thread a while back, and remember thinking, welp, it's so sad that pears can't get close to the kind of light performance of a round brilliant, but JannPaul seems to have done it! :shock:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-can’t-pear-diamonds-be-optimized-for-light-return-too.270612/

Comparison video of the Pear 2.0 and Pear Nova:

Attachments

• Pear Nova and Pear 2.0.PNG
    Pear Nova and Pear 2.0.PNG
    513.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I'm also super curious regarding how jannPaul managed to achieve something this, as I always thought it was impossible! If anyone has any ideas or possible explanations, I'd love to hear! :)

I am sure it has to do with the faceting of the diamond. Reminds me of the hearts and arrows cushion cut that Brian Gavin sells. Cut the diamond to display arrows from the middle of the stone and the other facets flow from there. I would guess that in this cutting they lose more rough than they would in traditional cut pears. That can also increases the price substantially just as it does for super ideal cut diamonds. I am not a diamond cutter, of course, so I am just assuming this is at least the starting point for those pears.
You can email or call Jann Paul and ask him directly how he cut the diamonds. He should be happy to share that information with you if you are interested in purchasing one of those diamonds. Good luck!

HI:

Wouldn't these be stunning in earrings???? OHLALA

cheers--Sharon

I collected a GCAL report for every single diamond JannPaul offers and I'll link them here so people can compare them themselves!

Pear 2.0
Pear Nova
Decagon 10 Hearts & Arrows
Round 10 Hearts & Arrows
Octagon Nova
Oval 8: 1.25 Ratio
Oval X: 1.35 Ratio
Cushion 8
Cushion X
Radiant X
Marquise X
Emerald 2.0
Heart 2.0
Shield 2.0

Pricescope Approved Modern Round Brilliant
Source on Pricescope approval.

Oh and bonus example of JannPaul's CVD diamonds.

And their fancy colors of course!

Fancy Intense Blue
Fancy Intense Pink
Fancy Intense Yellow

I've been following JannPaul since 2020 and every time I found someone posted their GCAL certificate number somewhere, I've looked through the lot and found all these over the years.

I work in the legal field so it wasn't too hard for me to find their published patent documents. Reading through them, every single facet design is unique. Even the Decagon 10 Hearts & Arrows is very different from the Round 10 Hearts & Arrows. On that note, I thought the Cushion 8 was a rebranded Brellia and the Round 10 was a rebranded Solasfera. But nope, the Cushion 8 and Round 10 are indeed entirely separate patents and facet designs.

Edited to add I just remembered a funny Facebook post Paul did about the pear shape. He said it's been a work in progress for 12 years and I believe him. I'm sure all this research and design is extremely difficult, else it would've been done a long time ago. His skill and dedication are second to none in my eyes.

Last edited:
I assume most of the diamonds they sell are labs, which makes them more affordable (though still high prices). But I assume cost is the reason they are not more popular.

I assume most of the diamonds they sell are labs, which makes them more affordable (though still high prices). But I assume cost is the reason they are not more popular.

Cost and import duties are the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger, but they have a lot of offerings that I would love to own one day.

I agree that cost is the main factor, and I think a lack of consumer understanding about the actual quality of what they're buying is second.

I'm primarily active on reddit and most people are asking for opinions on lab grown diamonds of subpar quality. Many people ask if they got a good deal, but there really isn't a good deal buying at listed retail prices. I see light leakages, bowties, brown hues, and other issues every single day, often in the final rings people bought. I don't comment because I don't want to put a damper on their day of course, but the vast majority of consumers are the exact types that buy the steep deep GIA triple excellent because the certificate looks fine.

Most people on reddit don't know that some HPHT diamonds diamonds test as moissanite because those testers measure electrical conductivity and boron in type IIb HPHT diamonds causes the crystal to conduct electricity. Most people don't know that type IIa and type IIb diamonds are even a thing, much less what they even mean. It doesn't help that IGI routinely lists HPHT diamond as "type II" and doesn't do any subtype testing. But because of all this lack of knowledge for what I think are most consumers, they don't know the incredibly high quality of JannPaul's products, like how their HPHT diamonds are always type IIa because they are grown without any boron doping.

This isn't limited to only JannPaul of course. I rarely see someone post about their Whiteflash, Distinctive Gem, Victor Canera, or Brian Gavin diamond. We all know the incredibly high level of quality each of these vendors are known for, but most people don't and will just get something much cheaper off of the virtual inventory of Ritani, Rare Carat, or the like.

I agree that cost is the main factor, and I think a lack of consumer understanding about the actual quality of what they're buying is second.

I'm primarily active on reddit and most people are asking for opinions on lab grown diamonds of subpar quality. Many people ask if they got a good deal, but there really isn't a good deal buying at listed retail prices. I see light leakages, bowties, brown hues, and other issues every single day, often in the final rings people bought. I don't comment because I don't want to put a damper on their day of course, but the vast majority of consumers are the exact types that buy the steep deep GIA triple excellent because the certificate looks fine.

Most people on reddit don't know that some HPHT diamonds diamonds test as moissanite because those testers measure electrical conductivity and boron in type IIb HPHT diamonds causes the crystal to conduct electricity. Most people don't know that type IIa and type IIb diamonds are even a thing, much less what they even mean. It doesn't help that IGI routinely lists HPHT diamond as "type II" and doesn't do any subtype testing. But because of all this lack of knowledge for what I think are most consumers, they don't know the incredibly high quality of JannPaul's products, like how their HPHT diamonds are always type IIa because they are grown without any boron doping.

This isn't limited to only JannPaul of course. I rarely see someone post about their Whiteflash, Distinctive Gem, Victor Canera, or Brian Gavin diamond. We all know the incredibly high level of quality each of these vendors are known for, but most people don't and will just get something much cheaper off of the virtual inventory of Ritani, Rare Carat, or the like.

Maybe people will take the claims more seriously after prices stabilize. Right now we have Vendor A selling an average quality diamond at $1000, Vendor B selling the same average quality diamond at $2000, and the super ideal vendors selling super ideal diamonds at $2000. Once all the average quality diamond prices stabilize then people might start looking past the bottom line.

I collected a GCAL report for every single diamond JannPaul offers and I'll link them here so people can compare them themselves!

Pear 2.0
Pear Nova
Decagon 10 Hearts & Arrows
Round 10 Hearts & Arrows
Octagon Nova
Oval 8: 1.25 Ratio
Oval X: 1.35 Ratio
Cushion 8
Cushion X
Radiant X
Marquise X
Emerald 2.0
Heart 2.0
Shield 2.0

Pricescope Approved Modern Round Brilliant
Source on Pricescope approval.

Oh and bonus example of JannPaul's CVD diamonds.

And their fancy colors of course!

Fancy Intense Blue
Fancy Intense Pink
Fancy Intense Yellow

I've been following JannPaul since 2020 and every time I found someone posted their GCAL certificate number somewhere, I've looked through the lot and found all these over the years.

I work in the legal field so it wasn't too hard for me to find their published patent documents. Reading through them, every single facet design is unique. Even the Decagon 10 Hearts & Arrows is very different from the Round 10 Hearts & Arrows. On that note, I thought the Cushion 8 was a rebranded Brellia and the Round 10 was a rebranded Solasfera. But nope, the Cushion 8 and Round 10 are indeed entirely separate patents and facet designs.

Edited to add I just remembered a funny Facebook post Paul did about the pear shape. He said it's been a work in progress for 12 years and I believe him. I'm sure all this research and design is extremely difficult, else it would've been done a long time ago. His skill and dedication are second to none in my eyes.
Omg 12 years?!!! Paul is a legend! I find it so amazing how he is revolutionising all these diamond cuts! And so glad there's a vendor out there doing it for less popular cuts, like pears and radiants and shields!

And thank you for posting all the certificates! I don't know too much about interpreting those certificates, beyond red = bright/good and green = light leakage/bad. Do you think the Pear Nova or Pear 2.0 are comparable to super ideal round brilliants or the decagon/octagon nova in terms of brightness, sparkle, fire and brilliance? (Sorry, I'm still a bit of a diamond noob compared to others on here haha)

Last edited:
Ohh right, I've heard their prices are a bit higher than other vendors, but their quality seems to justify it! I think their Pears are also a lot deeper than normal pears, so you get a surprisingly much smaller face-up size compared to normal ones. I've realised after my last project that I don't like the look of platinum much, so will probably go with a yellow gold bezel for this one, which means I might be able to drop down to I colour or maybe even J. Hopefully that will help a bit, price-wise.

I actually don't know much about the different types of lab diamonds either :lol: as I usually go for natural diamonds, but I might look into a pear of lab diamond earrings sometime! Will need to do a looot of research into lab diamonds first though haha

Ohh right, I've heard their prices are a bit higher than other vendors, but their quality seems to justify it! I think their Pears are also a lot deeper than normal pears, so you get a surprisingly much smaller face-up size compared to normal ones. I've realised after my last project that I don't like the look of platinum much, so will probably go with a yellow gold bezel for this one, which means I might be able to drop down to I colour or maybe even J. Hopefully that will help a bit, price-wise.

Yeah I would not mind paying more for a specialty cut either.

Omg 12 years?!!! Paul is a legend! I find it so amazing how he is revolutionising all these diamond cuts! And so glad there's a vendor out there doing it for less popular cuts, like pears and radiants and shields!

And thank you for posting all the certificates! I don't know too much about interpreting those certificates, beyond red = bright/good and green = light leakage/bad. Do you think the Pear Nova or Pear 2.0 are comparable to super ideal round brilliants or the decagon/octagon nova in terms of brightness, sparkle, fire and brilliance? (Sorry, I'm still a bit of a diamond noob compared to others on here haha)

When you said that you're not sure how to interpret the certificates, are you referring to the optical symmetry image? If so, I can help!

GCAL's optical symmetry image is basically an ASET image with different colors. The reason why it's different has to do with intellectual property issues. ASET was developed by AGS, which was subsequently acquired by GIA. Therefore, GCAL cannot use ASET. GCAL does have the IP rights to a similar evaluation tool developed by Diamond Profile Laboratory, which was acquired by GCAL in 2004. Here is the timestamped Pricescope webinar where GCAL explained this.

Both ASET and DPL evaluation tool angles are known and I'll summarize it here. Source on ASET angles.

90 degrees - 75 degrees: Obstruction. Blue in ASET. Black in GCAL.

75 degrees - 45 degrees: High Light Return. Red in ASET. Green/Red/Black in GCAL.

45 degrees - 0 degrees: Less Light Return. Green in ASET. Blue in GCAL.

Light Leakage: White in ASET and GCAL optical symmetry image. Blue in GCAL brilliance image.

By the way, technically GCAL's blue color measuring less light return is from 39.5 degrees to 0 degrees and their black color measuring more right return is from 51 degrees to 39.5 degrees. But being 5.5 degrees off from ASET isn't a huge deal in my eyes and it's easier to equate ASET green to GCAL blue.

I think the GCAL certificates are best used for cross comparisons by just looking at the fire videos of each stone. After all, we love diamonds because of their sparkle and just looking at them should let us see which one we like best. (:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results