shape
carat
color
clarity

JTV Jewelry Fest Gemstone Kit Question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aprilstar

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am quite a newbie here and have read some remarks on jewelry television..They have their jewelry fest on now for I guess 4 days...I have been thinking about getting their gems just for educational and maybe down the line doing something with them.
Here is what is in the kit and it is only till midnight. Does this look good to you as far as what is in the kit? I don''t think I will even get it since it is $99.00 but it sounds so good.

50.00ctw mixed faceted gemstones
50.00ctw mixed small cabochons
500.00ctw mixed large cabochons kit
Item Number: GEM2338
Jewelry Television™ Price
$99.99

I have done a search on JTV but not much said on the kits that I saw...
Thanks for any input.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS.

From what I have heard and I may be wrong, the gems are pretty junky. Cloudy emeralds, gems with huge windows, etc. You can always return them can''t you?

Linda

Aprilstar

Rough_Rock
I hate to get caught up in the hype, but you know, it sounds so good....And it looks good....But seems to me they may cherry pick what they show in the kits that are on the table. I have bought some jewelry from them...Some good, some not and I have sent a couple things back, but one time it got lost and was such a hassle to prove I sent it, that I lost the $40 that it cost. And thanks for your reply
35.gif

Aprilstar

Rough_Rock
Another thing is I hate when they say things like "You will never see this price again" or the mines these come from are drying up or whatever...They said that about tanzanite years ago so I have a little distrust going there. Now they are talking about Andresine Labradorite that is very rare they say that is a steal for .75ct at $39.99. I guess I better read up on this stuff first.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, I know what you mean. I learned my lesson with them along time ago. Especially with the Tanzanite.

Linda

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I think all the shopping channels are guilty of that, saying that the "mine is drying up." It''s a gimmick. The truly rare gems you never see, except on DSN I once saw some curprite, sphalerite, and some other very rare gems. However, I go back and forth between the shopping channels when there is nothing to watch on tv, and almost every one (I get Satelite, so I get all of them), has a tanzanite on every time I switch the channels. It''s monotonous and annoying, but the stuff sells. I''m so sick of it.!!!

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention that I think JTV is horribly expensive for what you are getting. And if you are getting something that''s a bit more expensive, it''s overpriced for what it is.

Another thing the shopping channels try to convince you is that you''re buying wholesale or better, and that''s so completely NOT true. If it is cheap, it is. I also cannot stand (now I''m really griping) how they tell you that they saw "X" stone at the recent show (Las Vegas, Tuscon, Thailand, whereever), and it was going for a bazillion gazillion dollars wholesale, but because they have such great connections, and they buy in volume (the supposedly rare gemstones), they can get it to you for nothing. Can I puke now or later?
29.gif

I suppose I shouldn''t watch, but I like to since I like to see what bargains and deals I did get on gemstones that the shopping channels cannot possibly provide. My gems are also far superior to what they have to offer for more money. It makes me happy to know how much $$ I saved by not shopping with them. I guess I''m a bit devilish in that sense
11.gif

I''m not saying you can''t get a bargain from one of the shopping channels, some people here have, but it''s pretty rare.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I stumbled upon a new gem shopping show on TV......price drops as quantity drops...saw a tanzanite ring start at $34,000...then dropped to $1495.00.
20.gif

What is the ring really worth?

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
That''s just another gimmick. It''s like these stores that raise their prices 10,000%, and do you a favor by giving you 50% off. I think it plays to the subconcious mind, to make you think like you''re getting the bargain of a lifetime. I don''t want to get into all the specifics of all the gimmicks these TV shopping channels deploy (that could be it''s own thread), but it is pretty annoying. Just give me the rock bottom price already!!!

I''m not a huge fan of the three huge television retailers out there: QVC, HSN or ShopNBC, but at least I respect the fact that they just tell you that "such and such item is X dollars" and you don''t have to wait 50 minutes of shpeal to hear the price.

I think the worst channels are Gem Shopping and the new the one that stole all the Gem Shopping hosts - America''s Value Channel - the hugest prices I''ve ever seen, and they keep saying "it''s a give away!! Look at dat dere!!" Drives me nuts. I only watch to see what great value I have purchased my gemstone collection in the past, but after a while, I have to turn it off. Makes me sick. These are American channels of course, hopefully you people outside the U.S.A. don''t have to be subjected to them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results