shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen Cabinet features--what''s useful, what''s useless

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
With a new kitchen comes all kinds of options I hadn''t been aware of before. I''m concerned about adding things that look good but are not practical, so curious if anyone here has experience with those roll out shelves (within kitchen cabinets)--are they useful? How about the "pull out pantry". If so let me know what you love about it and if not tell me what''s annoying.

Thanks!!

I loved the pull-out shelves I had in my cabinets. There was not one fault with them. I could reach everything and keep it all organized and clean. I really miss them and would love to put them in our current home.

A friend of mine has the pull-out pantry. I think it''s definitely functional, but I think any well organized pantry is so I''d consider a better use for those funds.

thanks shiny. So there was no issue with fitting enough things or things falling off the sides?

Date: 3/17/2010 10:34:40 AM
Author:janinegirly
With a new kitchen comes all kinds of options I hadn''t been aware of before. I''m concerned about adding things that look good but are not practical, so curious if anyone here has experience with those roll out shelves (within kitchen cabinets)--are they useful? How about the ''pull out pantry''. If so let me know what you love about it and if not tell me what''s annoying.

Thanks!!

funny, i saw the title and my first thought was "oh i have to tell her about pull out shelves for the pantry!" when we built our previous house, i researched all sorts of kitchen cabinet options and decided to do pull out shelves in the pantry and i LOVED them! definitely recommend them. just remember that you don''t need them higher than you can see. those can be regular shelves.

Date: 3/17/2010 10:45:35 AM
Author: janinegirly
thanks shiny. So there was no issue with fitting enough things or things falling off the sides?

ours had little walls on the sides and in the front and back to avoid things falling off.

My slides had 1.5" sides so nothing ever fell out. You lose a bit of room, but since you can access everything, I never had a problem. My cupboards now are "bigger" but I can''t fit as much into them because I''d have to take everything out to get to the pot at the back. And, every time I need cookie sheets, I bemoan that I don''t have my sliders.

I also kept my herbs and spices on a sliding drawer. I thought I may have issues with them falling over and spilling but I only did once. I loved that I didn''t need a rack or basket to contain them. I could just slide out the drawer by the stove, use what I needed, and slide it back.

jcrow: great, glad to hear! Can i ask where your pantry pull outs are--are they near your oven for example? How wide roughly? They seem so practical to me but DH isn''t convinced yet :).

shiny: sounds great...I love that I''ll actually be able to see what''s in the back.

Date: 3/17/2010 10:58:57 AM
jcrow: great, glad to hear! Can i ask where your pantry pull outs are--are they near your oven for example? How wide roughly? They seem so practical to me but DH isn''t convinced yet :).

shiny: sounds great...I love that I''ll actually be able to see what''s in the back.

well they were in our first home which we sold, so i''m not sure how wide they were. they were located next to the dishwasher. let me see if i have any pics. the house didn''t have a walk in pantry, just a built in so i loved the pull out shelves. we added them to our custom cabinets.

We love our pull-out pantry!!!

I also love our cupboards over the fridge - they are split up with wood dividers for things like baking sheets etc. Keeps everything so organized (and usually that cupboard is a bit of a black hole because it is so high that everything gets shoved to the back, never to be seen again!).

I also love our pull out garbage/recycling cupboard. Makes for so much extra room under the sink and makes it easy to just wipe the crumbs etc off the counter right into it.

pulloutpantryjanine.JPG

here''s a pic. the pantry is to the right of the dishwasher.

trying pic again...

cabinetpullout.jpg

i just checked the doc we faxed to the builder. we had 3 rollout shelves. the bottom three. we left a lot of space between the second and the third in order to put larger stuff in the bottom rollout shelf.

PS we also have pullouts for our pots and pans in the section next to our stove. Sorry for the messy kitchen pic - but it is the section to the right of our stove.

I love having the pots organized and so easy to get to.

kitchenpulloutjaninepots1234.jpg

loving the white kitchens!

Jcrow: it looks like your pullout by the diswasher was a full size cabinet--we have the option for that or one of those skinny ones (for spices, olive oil etc). The full cabinet would be easier though rather than constructing a mini one. Also I notice the space to the left of your fridge--did you find it useful? we''ll have something similar but on the other side so could technically be removed. I like it better with it visually though.
Oh and did you find 3 rollout shelves too many? I have the option for 2-3 or keeping some normal cabinets (all lower).

octoberbride: thanks, great photos! For the over the fridge tray dividers--was it hard to reach? That is a great use of normally wasted space. And looking at your photo..is it drawers or pull out shelves for the pots? It seems like drawers are gaining popularity as you can fit more than a tight cabinet.

We re-did our kitchen a few years ago. A few things to look at:

1) For base cabinets, we used drawers wherever we could instead of shelves. That way it was one movement instead of two (opening up doors, then having to pull out sliding shelves).

2) Full extension drawers! Flove!

3) Soft-close doors and drawers. Double love. No slamming, ever!

4) For upper cabinets, we really regretted using the standard (12 inch?) depth instead of requesting deeper cabinets. It means we can''t store larger chargers in the top cabinets, but have to put them lower cabinets instead.

Date: 3/17/2010 11:55:00 AM

Jcrow: it looks like your pullout by the diswasher was a full size cabinet--we have the option for that or one of those skinny ones (for spices, olive oil etc). The full cabinet would be easier though rather than constructing a mini one. Also I notice the space to the left of your fridge--did you find it useful? we''ll have something similar but on the other side so could technically be removed. I like it better with it visually though.

Oh and did you find 3 rollout shelves too many? I have the option for 2-3 or keeping some normal cabinets (all lower).

octoberbride: thanks, great photos! For the over the fridge tray dividers--was it hard to reach? That is a great use of normally wasted space. And looking at your photo..is it drawers or pull out shelves for the pots? It seems like drawers are gaining popularity as you can fit more than a tight cabinet.

yes, it was a full size cabinet. wider actually. 3 rollouts were perfect. i would keep the top normal and the bottom/middles be rollouts. if they are above eye level, you can''t see what''s inside the rollout anyway.

re: desk - it was useful but not for the intended purpose. we never sat there and used it as a desk. it became a catchall place for keys/mail/etc. since we walked in from the garage through the doorway right there. the top cabinet was actually suppose to be open. however, we opted to have doors put on it. glad we did. seeing stuff out would drive me crazy. we kept our liquor and cookbooks there and it was nice to close it off. we actually were suppose to have a built in wine shelf right there [still with doors], but the cabinet builder didn''t put them in for some reason and we didn''t pursue it once we moved in.

Date: 3/17/2010 12:13:47 PM
Author: Hest88
We re-did our kitchen a few years ago. A few things to look at:

1) For base cabinets, we used drawers wherever we could instead of shelves. That way it was one movement instead of two (opening up doors, then having to pull out sliding shelves).

2) Full extension drawers! Flove!

3) Soft-close doors and drawers. Double love. No slamming, ever!

4) For upper cabinets, we really regretted using the standard (12 inch?) depth instead of requesting deeper cabinets. It means we can''t store larger chargers in the top cabinets, but have to put them lower cabinets instead.

Hess, we will have full ext drawers and soft close. We have one large set of drawers next to the oven for pots (after I heard people rave about drawers). And one large cabinet with 2 roll out shelves. That leaves (on the base level) one more full cabinet, and 2 skinnier ones (12 inches) next to the fridge. It''s these last 3 I can''t decide on. I could make one another rollout, or a full sized pantry pullout, or make one of the 12" ones a pantry pullout but then it''s by the fridge, no where near oven. Of course I could also turn an upper into a pull out pantry but then jcrow makes a good point about not being able to reach the top.

Too many choices!

Date: 3/17/2010 11:55:00 AM

They are drawers - the are honestly so easy and useful. I love them! The over the fridge section is reachable because the cookie sheets are on their sides with their ends right at
the edge of the cupboard so I think it is good. If it were just an empty cupboard, I could almost guarantee you couldn''t reach anything other than the 2 items that get the front spot on the shelf!

So I'm curious, what would you ladies do with two 12 inch base cabinets on either side of the fridge? I can see using one for baking sheets, etc. but still is alot of wasted space. It is on the shorter side of L shaped kitchen (included island).

Thanks!

My favorite things....
1. Instead of having a feaux drawer-front at the sink, it actually folds down and has two trays that are perfect for storing sponges and drain covers.
2. I have a cabinet with vertical shelves, perfect for storing cutting boards, cookie sheets, grill pan, etc.
3. Microwave is under the counter instead of over the oven, I like that it is out of sight, but still accessable.
4. This isn''t in my kitchen but wish it was, my grandma''s kitchen had the lower cabinets with pull out shelves, it was great to be able to see everything.
5. My upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, since our ceilings are only 8 feet, I like having the extra storage space. I put things I don''t use often up there and they don''t get dusty.

things I don''t like...
1. I have several sections of cabinets that open out to each other, I wish that there was not a divide between them so I could have the shelf going all the way across and fit more stuff.
2. My pantry has deep shelves, so I put turntables on them for easy access for spices, cereal, baking stuff, etc.

Date: 3/17/2010 4:05:12 PM
Author: appletini
My favorite things....

1. Instead of having a feaux drawer-front at the sink, it actually folds down and has two trays that are perfect for storing sponges and drain covers.

2. I have a cabinet with vertical shelves, perfect for storing cutting boards, cookie sheets, grill pan, etc.

3. Microwave is under the counter instead of over the oven, I like that it is out of sight, but still accessable.

4. This isn''t in my kitchen but wish it was, my grandma''s kitchen had the lower cabinets with pull out shelves, it was great to be able to see everything.

5. My upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, since our ceilings are only 8 feet, I like having the extra storage space. I put things I don''t use often up there and they don''t get dusty.

things I don''t like...

1. I have several sections of cabinets that open out to each other, I wish that there was not a divide between them so I could have the shelf going all the way across and fit more stuff.

2. My pantry has deep shelves, so I put turntables on them for easy access for spices, cereal, baking stuff, etc.

Appletini: where is your cabinet w/vertical shelves?
And when you say "pull out shelves" do you mean vertical or horizontal? (as in roll out trays).

I have a walk-in pantry and am completely in love with it. I also LOVE special shelves they make for mix masters. We don''t have one but a family friend does. It is in a bottom cabinet and the shelve comes up to countertop level and has a power source inside the cabinet. We have double wall ovens and there is a drawer underneath. I LOVE it. That is where I keep all my cookie sheets, pizza pan, grill top, etc. My mom has the vertical dividers over the cabinet above her wall oven. Those are nice. I am also a big fan of lazy susans. The shelves where we keep out pans/pots pull out which is nice.

I love my deep pot and pan drawers .

I really like my pull out pantry. I think it helps foods from getting "lost".
I also have a big white farmhouse sink( no divider), and it is one of my favorite kitchen features.

ETA: One thing I wish I had added was a garbage disposal button in the counter. At the time it didn't make sense to me, but it does now
28.gif

Ditto to everyone who recommended the pull out pantry. We love ours! It''s one tall full size cabinet (pretty much like jcrow''s with the double doors) across from the refrigerator. We keep all of our spices, dry stuff like pasta and cereal and canned goods in it. We also have another tall cabinet (but with just one door) next to the refrigerator that''s totally empty. It''s perfect for the mop, broom and vacuum, and we also have a recycling bin in there. (One of the taller thin ones that looks like a garbage can.)

We also have a big white farmhouse sink and I love that, too! It makes it so easy to wash the dishes, fill pitchers with water, etc.

Thanks everyone! I think I am sold on the pull out pantry. For those who have it, if you had a single door cabinet (18inches) next to the oven--would you go with the pull out pantry or roll out tray shelves? I am looking for this cabinet to store olive oil, sauces, cooking items that we all frequently reach for. Right now I am leaning towards the pull out pantry as other cabinets will have the shelves.

thing2of2: thanks for your input! Sounds like your pull out pantry by the fridge didn''t get as much use?

tacori: SIL also has that appliance hiding cabinet (with plug etc)--it''s so cool! Don''t think we can do it though
7.gif

Date: 3/17/2010 4:10:46 PM

Date: 3/17/2010 4:05:12 PM
Author: appletini
My favorite things....

things I don''t like...

Appletini: where is your cabinet w/vertical shelves?
And when you say ''pull out shelves'' do you mean vertical or horizontal? (as in roll out trays).
My cabinet with the vertical shelves is above the fridge...there are actually two cabinets up there, one has the veritcal shelves, and the other has a horizontal shelf, so I put random trays and extra pyrex that I don''t use often up there.

''pull out shelves'' I meant the roll out trays...I so wish I had them in my kitchen.

Unrelated I also have a wine chiller and a built in wine rack...we drink a lot of wine so we removed some drawers and put in the wine chiller.

Date: 3/18/2010 8:58:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I am sold on the pull out pantry. For those who have it, if you had a single door cabinet (18inches) next to the oven--would you go with the pull out pantry or roll out tray shelves? I am looking for this cabinet to store olive oil, sauces, cooking items that we all frequently reach for. Right now I am leaning towards the pull out pantry as other cabinets will have the shelves.

thing2of2: thanks for your input! Sounds like your pull out pantry by the fridge didn't get as much use?

tacori: SIL also has that appliance hiding cabinet (with plug etc)--it's so cool! Don't think we can do it though
7.gif

If this is going to be your primary food storage, it shouldn't be located next to anything that is hot (i.e. dishwasher, refrigerator, or oven). Ideally, primary food storage should be located where you have the longest bank of countertop. Keeping that in mind, the best place for food storage cabinets are cool outside walls.

It's hard for me to say what I'd recommend because every kitchen layout is different from the next. I think the only general item would be the roll out shelves, soft close doors, and high quality hinges. I can't tell you how important something as simple as hinges are.

I didn't design my kitchen, but the previous owners put in the special base cabinet for a Kitchen Aid. I think I would leave it on the counter normally, but if you have enough cabinet space, I think that's a great idea. Assuming you have a KA of course.

I really like the base cabinets with the wooden pegs for storage of dishes. I think most often, you'll see those in kitchen without a lot of upper cabinetry, but I really like the idea.

Speaking of dish storage, it's also recommended that your dish storage be located close to your dishwasher for practicality. I make it known to Nate that I hate our kitchen on a regular basis. This is why you don't buy a home custom built for someone else. I don't think the previous owner was fond of drawers, I have plenty of cabinets, but not as many drawers as I would like. I also hate that my refrigerator is miles away from the sink.

What I think I'm going to do in our next place, and what a lot of people recommend, two dishwashers. My SIL has a Christopher Peacock kitchen and I'm so jealous of her. But one of the things her designer recommended was an additional dish washer, and the island is supposed to be a great spot for them.

I have double ovens, and the cabinet above has vertical dividers for all of my baking sheets and things of that nature.

I ditto the recommendation for a deep sink with no dividers. Kohler makes an AWESOME sink and there are different accessories available for it. I think it's called the Kohler 8 degree sink. It's in stainless, if you want something more traditional, get a Shaws farmhouse. The deeper the better!

Personally, I would recommend doing a complete inventory of what you have in your kitchen currently. And from there designate a place in the new kitchen where you're going to store it. Because a lot of times, people build this fantastic new kitchen, but they never thought about the extra deep platters they have and what not.

Ohh, by the way, if you really want the Wolf range, I say go for it, but you'll get a BlueStar, DCS, Dacor, or GE Monogram at a better price. I personally like Thermador. After that, BlueStar, then Wolf. But I suppose that depends on where you're getting your fridge. I like the refrigerator and freezer columns that Thermador makes. You can configure them to look like a side-by-side, but they don't have the wasted space of a SBS. I think the next best option is the French door with bottom mount freezer.

We have the roll out shelves for underneath our counters and love them! It makes it very easy to find the pot or pan you need, and provides lots of room for storage. Ours are also "no slam" which is great -it doesn't matter how hard you push the drawer back in it just closes softly and slowly.

ETA: I also loving having a few cabinets with a glass front, we don't have a china cabinet so it's a great place for us to store our stemware.

I also have to 3rd the deep stainless steel sink, I never knew a sink could be so exciting but DH is obsessed with ours, I think maybe it's Kohler? My parents loved it so much they bought one for themselves.

Gosh Penn, I hadn''t thought of that. Does that mean no food storage next to oven,etc? I was thinking olive oil, condiments, sauces, dried pasta--is that included in items not to be by oven? To me that was the best spot for it. We will have a lazy susan too which is in a "cool" spot (lazy susan with high sides and no pole) for majority of food items. We are doing pot drawers but at the end of the kitchen--I''ll try to post a plan for the kitchen if I can...

That''s funny that you like the Thermador, so does DH. The best price we found was on DCS so that''s probably the likely choice, but not as much a rush on that as the cabinets right now (must order those in a week, eek!).

Oh and your SIL''s C.Peacock kitchen is to die for bet, I just love those.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP