shape
carat
color
clarity

Knots in my stomach-- did he get ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
PS diamond experts-- I would love a little insight.

I finally saw the nitty-gritty details on my new e-ring (ie: the receipt and GIA report) and am afraid darling FI spent WAY more than he had to. He went to a kind-of-mall-store (Hyde Park, anyone?) There are only three in the US, so its not the average Kay, Zales, etc.

On to the center stone stats....

1.01 RB
G
SI1(three itty-bitty pin points, clear feather, indented natural near girdle)
Cut-Good
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Very Good
Flour.- None
Girdle- slightly thick
Table- 62%
Crown angle- 35.5
Pav. angle- 40.2
Total depth- 59.7%
Holloway rating was 2.2

He paid $6,325 (They said est. retail was $8,150... no f*ck*ng way.)

James Allen seems to have similar stones for quite a bit less. FI''s defense was "Its a conflict free Canadian diamond!"... But LOTS of diamonds are certified conflict free. It makes no sense to me that one from Canada would be that much more expensive? Or am I crazy, and is $6,325 a good deal? I can''t help but think that I could have a larger stone with the same quality, or the same sized stone with better clarity (though its eye clean) for the price.

Any insight is VERY appreciated!!!!

1.gif
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, he spent more than he needed to.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like dangerously easy to see fish-eye.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You could do better purchasing from a PS vendor but that would mean returning what you have. A lot of guys aren''t nuts about the idea.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Canadian diamonds do trade at a premium in Canada - but I don''t know by how much.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah. Fish eye. For sure. The first time I saw the stone and tilted it slightly I kind of paused, to the point where he said, "What??" and then I realized it wasn''t an actual inclusion. I can kind of see it when staring straight on, and somewhat if its tilted downward... But not when tilted up?

I feel sick to my stomach. Blech. I want to kick him for not doing more research!!! Think there''s any chance I can take it in and do a ''trade up''? They have a trade-up policy... Maybe I''ll even downsize and get a better stone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 5:48:09 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Yeah. Fish eye. For sure. The first time I saw the stone and tilted it slightly I kind of paused, to the point where he said, ''What??'' and then I realized it wasn''t an actual inclusion. I can kind of see it when staring straight on, and somewhat if its tilted downward... But not when tilted up?

I feel sick to my stomach. Blech. I want to kick him for not doing more research!!! Think there''s any chance I can take it in and do a ''trade up''? They have a trade-up policy... Maybe I''ll even downsize and get a better stone.

If they have a trade in policy it is certainly more than worth looking into!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed, definitely trade it in if possible.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses...

I called the jeweler this evening & they should be getting back to me in a little while.

I feel so nervous about doing this!! But... the website says "We offer the best price for any given quality!" I''m gonna hold ''em to it!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 7:00:10 PM
Thanks for the quick responses...

I called the jeweler this evening & they should be getting back to me in a little while.

I feel so nervous about doing this!! But... the website says ''We offer the best price for any given quality!'' I''m gonna hold ''em to it!

As you should! Good luck and please let us know if we can help!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
He must feel terrible.
He loves you and did his best when he asked for your hand in marriage.

It can't be that bad.
There must be a zillion women who'd love to get such a relatively good diamond.
Besides whatever you pick, there will always be something better.

Sure this is PS, home of the ultimate diamond at the best price. . .but your guy just proposed and slipped a big diamond on your finger.
Aren't you being just a tad unromantic?

And if I may say so considering how you are reacting to this joyous occasion I think you two may want to do some talking before you tie the knot about both of your expectations for decision making and finances.

Oh, BTW if you still can exchange it ask him if he minds and tell him you love him gobs and gobs.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Moh-

I see where you're coming from... My post makes it sound like I'm hunting for a better diamond than I got... Really, though, I'd like to keep what I have. Even if I could upgrade/downgrade/trade in.

I love, love my ring & am already sentimentally attached to it & what it represents. I'm only upset that my fiance worked super hard and saved his own money to get something special and was mislead by the jeweler. I only want them to do what's right and not be sneaky about it. Sure, there are overhead costs in a jewelry store, but it's not fair (imho) to market a stone as being work $8,100 and then "mark it down" to $6,400.. which is still more than its actually worth. Ideally I'd ike for the jeweler to give him a credit or partial refund or something.

We're both overjoyed about being engaged to be married-- and our financial arrangements are fine, thanks-- but I think any well-intentioned fiance would be upset if someone duped her beau for about $1000+. There are more important things in life, sure, but if he's deserving of his hard-earned money.
5.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry if I came on too strong PPM.
I too would be eager for the best cut after learning about them here on PS
36.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Moh
1.gif

PS is wonderful for the honest, up-front doses of reality, served on a daily basis! That''s why I love these forums.

I would hate to hurt FIs feelings or make him feel ''blah'' in any way & I appreciate that your post reminded me there''s a much bigger picture than $$
22.gif
and bling
30.gif

PS has made me gemstone-crazed, at best. I have nooo doubts that the knowledge is a double-edged sword!

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 9:02:06 PM
Moh
1.gif

PS is wonderful for the honest, up-front doses of reality, served on a daily basis! That''s why I love these forums.

I would hate to hurt FIs feelings or make him feel ''blah'' in any way & I appreciate that your post reminded me there''s a much bigger picture than $$
22.gif
and bling
30.gif

PS has made me gemstone-crazed, at best. I have nooo doubts that the knowledge is a double-edged sword!
I have to completely agree with you!--I always thought diamonds were diamonds--never thinking that a jeweler would try and sell something that was not of quality or mark-up the price. I am sure your diamond is lovely, however. Congratulations!!!--ENJOY!!!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Update for any (few) curious individuals
28.gif

Talked to our sales rep/asst. manager. She basically said, "Tell me what you want, we''ll try to make you happy." (We''ll see.) She was going to walk with the company owner and told me to bring my ring in sometime this week.

Tomorrow I''m going to get an indi appraisal. We''ll see what that yields.

FI and chatted at length about this. Right before purchasing my stone he did some online research and came across similar stones that were significantly more affordable. Apparently he brushed it off because the jeweler showed him an "appraisal" of my ring for $8100. Soooo regardless of what he saw online, he figured that $6400 was still a deal. Can''t say I blame him. Who doesn''t want to trust their jeweler?

He is in no way offended (BIG sigh of relief!!) and even said, "We should just upgrade!!" to which I politely declined
5.gif
We''re hoping that the independent appraisal will shine some light on this situation and either A) Provide us with some hard evidence we can use at the jewelry store (in hopes of getting comped wedding bands?) or B) Show that my ring is worth almost as much as he paid... in which case, we''ll have an extra appraisal on hand, which isn''t ever a bad thing.

A bit more online-hunting lead to a very similar though slightly better-cut stone for 1k less than FI paid... As well as a similar carat weight/better cut/better clarity stones for as much as my ring cost. Unless they convince me that overhead costs warrant inflating prices one grand, I''m thinking we''ll have a solid argument.

Then again- they''re a major jewelry store & I''m little me
2.gif
I''m willin'' to take my chances!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I am not very encouraged by the lack of a clear policy direction on their part. Do they have a return policy? Maybe you two could just return it and start over here.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Some additional points:

You say this is from a "mall" store. If the price for a stone is $5K on PS, $6K in a "mall" store seems fair. It isn't fair to compare B&M prices with PS.

Did the price you mentioned also include a setting? Assuming no but it wasn't clear.

They sound like they are trying to work with you which is good. A lot of traditional B&Ms aren't into numbers and specs the way the PS crowd is, so it might be difficult to communicate PS-style requirements to them. For someone like that the easiest way to get something nice might be to ask for stones with an AGS DQD (preferred) or GIA ex cut with table under 57 and pavilion under 41, ask to see the reports before stone is sent, then pick 2 or 3 to bring in to see.

I wouldn't worry about an appraisal on this one...I agree with everyone else, pavilion needs to be a bit deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results