shape
carat
color
clarity

labs outside usa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colleenharkin

Rough_Rock
I am in Australia - so when looking at stones it isn''t practical to ask about a GIA appraisal.

I have been referred to The Diamond Certification Laboratory of Australia http://www.dcla.com.au/

I hear ple in the forums talk about a wide range of appraisers providing ''generous evaluations'' ( which I understand means they are not particularly stringent or discerning or perhaps even dishonest about the quality of a stone) ...........

Has anyone had any experience with DCLA ??? Does anyone know about their reputation / reliability / professionalism ? Will evaluations from this lab be ''worth the paper they are written on ???

Thks in advance for your assistance.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
DCLA are good, so is Gem Studies Lab - GSL, and there is a new lab in Melb that is developing a reputation - Bauer....BGL or something like that.

roy cohen

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/14/2006 6:02:44 AM
Author:colleenharkin
I am in Australia - so when looking at stones it isn't practical to ask about a GIA appraisal.

I have been referred to The Diamond Certification Laboratory of Australia http://www.dcla.com.au/

I hear ple in the forums talk about a wide range of appraisers providing 'generous evaluations' ( which I understand means they are not particularly stringent or discerning or perhaps even dishonest about the quality of a stone) ...........

Has anyone had any experience with DCLA ??? Does anyone know about their reputation / reliability / professionalism ? Will evaluations from this lab be 'worth the paper they are written on ???

Thks in advance for your assistance.
Hi Colleen,

You are right to be concerned, after all a grading report is only as good as the lab it comes from. There are a number of labs worldwide which are recognised and endorsed by the industry bodies and buying a diamond with a cert from any of these laboratories would protect you. These include GIA, HRD, AGS, IGI etc... If you are not sure about the lab you should check it out. Unfortunately there are "laboratories" which are not independent, do not have the required equipment or do not grade to the international standards. Some retailers will use and promote the certificates as it serves their purpose. Do your own investigations.

The DCLA is an International Diamond Council (IDC) lab. The IDC is a body set up by the World Federation of Diamond Bourses (WFDB) and the International Diamond Manufacturers Association (IDMA) to set worldwide diamond grading standards. DCLA is also an official CIBJO lab (World Jewellery Confederation) and is endorsed by the Jewellers Association of Australia (JAA). The DCLA has as it main objective protecting Australian diamond consumers.
Regards,

Roy Cohen

www.dcla.com.au

mosher

Rough_Rock
Hi Colleen

Grading a diamond is not just about the and the four C''s. Obviously this is the most well known to the trade and the public but more importantly. Are the tests performed buy the Laboratory.
when a stone is submitted to one of the top laboratories it will first be checked for it natural origin. That it is untreated or enhanced in any way.
the GIA ,HRD , AGS ,SSEF ,DCLA ,IGI and EGL have the equipment necessary, it is very important that you buy your diamond with one of these certificates. If you are offered something other than one of the recognised certificates you should be wary of the quality and especially the natural origin of the stone.
Check the certificate is real, original and that the stone matches the certificate either buy the laser inscription or buy taking it to another jeweller.

happy shopping

colleenharkin

Rough_Rock
thanks for your reply. So do DCLA do appraisals ? ???

cheers

colleenharkin

Rough_Rock
thanks for your response.

I presume you are Garry Holloway of Precius Metals in Brighton ???

If so, thought I''d tel you - I just purchased a beautiful ring from your store !!! :) A lovely dress ring. I get LOTS of compliements on it. Very clever design and beautiful quality stones :)

ps the ring I purchased is not the reason for my asking questions here - VERY happy with my ring :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Guilty as charged, although I spend more of my time in my other store in Canterbury.

Thanks for the kind words
30.gif

DCLA do not give dollar values

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results