shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for five stone ring opinions+

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
This upcoming spring will be my 15th wedding anniversary and we have discussed the idea of an anniversary ring. I have a cushion cut pave halo and pave band that I love (DK did the setting), but they are on the delicate side. My cushion is right around the 1 carat mark, but of course it is more noticeable with the halo. I don’t want to change this setting, but I’m interested in adding a 5 stone ring with rounds to wear as an alternative. This would likely become my everyday ring though I would keep/still wear my halo setting too. My finger size is around a 5.5, and I think I’m looking for something around the 1.6/1.7 ctw range. I definitely am looking for really well cut stones for this. I’m wondering which vendors would be best for this project? I have worked with DK, Whiteflash, and IDJ all in the past. Is the WF markup worth it for a piece like this? Any thoughts much appreciated!

I had my 5 stone ring done with Brian Gavin. I really love it. They have a sale right now, so you can compare pricing.

This upcoming spring will be my 15th wedding anniversary and we have discussed the idea of an anniversary ring. I have a cushion cut pave halo and pave band that I love (DK did the setting), but they are on the delicate side. My cushion is right around the 1 carat mark, but of course it is more noticeable with the halo. I don’t want to change this setting, but I’m interested in adding a 5 stone ring with rounds to wear as an alternative. This would likely become my everyday ring though I would keep/still wear my halo setting too. My finger size is around a 5.5, and I think I’m looking for something around the 1.6/1.7 ctw range. I definitely am looking for really well cut stones for this. I’m wondering which vendors would be best for this project? I have worked with DK, Whiteflash, and IDJ all in the past. Is the WF markup worth it for a piece like this? Any thoughts much appreciated!

I did one with WF ACA stones, and the setting made by Sholdt. I 100% think ACAs are worth it.

In that size diamond, buying ideally proportioned diamond is totally worth it. I'm not sure you have to buy branded super ideals to get the most of the cut, but it can't hurt and its easier than trying to put together a suite on your own.

In that size diamond, buying ideally proportioned diamond is totally worth it. I'm not sure you have to buy branded super ideals to get the most of the cut, but it can't hurt and its easier than trying to put together a suite on your own.

Yes, that’s what I’m struggling with a bit. I know that I would be paying a premium for WF or BGD, but the alternative is going with a vendor like IDJ or DK and just asking them to select excellent cut stones and I’m not sure the ring would turn out quite as nice….

Yes, that’s what I’m struggling with a bit. I know that I would be paying a premium for WF or BGD, but the alternative is going with a vendor like IDJ or DK and just asking them to select excellent cut stones and I’m not sure the ring would turn out quite as nice….
I think you have ACAs so you know what they are like. I did want to add that my two smallest stones are Grunberger melee, and I cannot tell the difference in performance between those and the ACAs. So, I do think it's possible if you get ideal performing stones to be just as happy with them. I wonder, though, what the price difference would really be at the end of the day? It might be worth it for this special purchase, and for peace of mind, to get the super ideals. I would suggest you price it out and see. But for me, I chose the ACAs just because I wanted to know the performance would be the best.

I think you have ACAs so you know what they are like. I did want to add that my two smallest stones are Grunberger melee, and I cannot tell the difference in performance between those and the ACAs. So, I do think it's possible if you get ideal performing stones to be just as happy with them. I wonder, though, what the price difference would really be at the end of the day? It might be worth it for this special purchase, and for peace of mind, to get the super ideals. I would suggest you price it out and see. But for me, I chose the ACAs just because I wanted to know the performance would be the best.

Yes. My earrings are ACAs so I am familiar with how nice they are!

Why don’t you look for a very well cut (ideal proportions) non-branded stone the size you want on Bluenile and order it. Compare to the ACAs you own. If you think the performance difference is noticeable, return it and you have your answer. If you are happy, keep it and source 4 more!

I have been very happy with my Whiteflash 5 stone ACA ring and they are a pleasure to deal with.

I have a 1.4 ctw 7 stone from IDJ (see avatar)...I've posted this before. The stone(s) in the center of the ring are
well-cut/nice but as they go from the center on out, the cut is less than Ideal. You would have to say something
to them to ensure you got 5 really well-cut stones (in my experience).

Here is a pic of one of the stones next to the shank. Hindsight...I wish I had sent it back and asked for better-cut stones
(at my cost). FYI...I think you get what you pay for.
IMG_20230615_124036587.jpg

Edit...not wanting to bad mouth IDJ because they can be a good source at a lower price point but...As I said, I think you
get what you pay for.

I have a 1.4 ctw 7 stone from IDJ (see avatar)...I've posted this before. The stone(s) in the center of the ring are
well-cut/nice but as they go from the center on out, the cut is less than Ideal. You would have to say something
to them to ensure you got 5 really well-cut stones (in my experience).

Here is a pic of one of the stones next to the shank. Hindsight...I wish I had sent it back and asked for better-cut stones
(at my cost). FYI...I think you get what you pay for.
IMG_20230615_124036587.jpg

Edit...not wanting to bad mouth IDJ because they can be a good source at a lower price point but...As I said, I think you
get what you pay for.
Exactly--you get what you pay for--and because you have ACAs, I think you might be spoiled for anything else, especially on a ring that you will be looking at all the time. I never get tired of looking at them.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP