shape
carat
color
clarity

Lots of questions, novice here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Hey, guys! Up until early today I had no idea this place even existed. It seems fantastic!

On to the point, I am going to be (hopefully!) getting engaged within the next year. I have started looking for what style/size I want, and I am thinking I am going to suggest that my BF gets the ring from Blue Nile. My mother got a .91 cushion, F color, VS1 clarity set in platinum band with pear side stones wtih TCW of .25 from Blue Nile, and it''s gorgeous. She paid a little over 5,000 for the ring.. so I''ve been very impressed with BN thus far.

I have a few basic questions that I''d like some opinions on:

1) What size should I get? I know this is hard for anyone to answer for me, but I am clueless...I don''t wear jewelry besides earings. I have thin, long fingers. I wear a ring size of 4.5-5. I want something that looks elegant, not too flashy but still substantial. I am thinking a RB center stone of a TCW around .70. I am hoping to get one with VS2 clarity or better with a very good cut and at least a G color.

2) What about the setting? I have a few settings on BN that I really like.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-platinum_7491?filter_id=1&collection_id=236
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7812?filter_id=1&collection_id=236
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting_8019?filter_id=1&collection_id=239
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-white-gold_5338?filter_id=1&collection_id=236

The band mm ranges from 1.8 - 2.5 on them. Would 1.8 be too thin? I''d like a thinner band to compliment my small fingers, but I''m not sure if that''d be too small.

3) Is platinum really necessary? I keep on hearing stories about people with white gold bands and them getting tarnished and turning yellow within months of wear. This worries me, but I don''t want my BF to have to pay the extra $$ for platinum.

Thanks to everyone that can offer some advice/opinions on what I am considering! Much appreciated.

You need to see pics of fancies before you buy them, you can''t buy a cushion cut from the numbers. BN mainly drop ships so you won''t be able to ASET images, etc in order to get the best cut and the most sparkly stone.

I would suggest contacting Mark at Engagement Rings Direct - he is the ''cushion guy'' and will be able to use his eyes to select for you the best cushion for your budget.

You don''t necesarrily need to get plat, they are pros and cons for both plat and wgold. If you like the patina plat develops then chose that, or if you like your rings to always look bright and shiny, then go for wgold, bearing in mind that you will have to periodically have the wgold replated to keep up the shine, depending on your body chemistry, this could be once a year, or once every few years etc. Do a search on plat vs wgold and you will find a million threads.

A thin band will be less durable - most jewellers recommend 2mm for everyday wear, but if you are careful of your rings, then 1.8mm should be fine and will look great with smaller fingers/stones. A smaller band will make the stone pop!

I believe plat prices have come done recently so you may want to get a quote for both metals and see the difference? Replating only costs around the $50 - 100 mark, depending on where you go, so it''s not a massive cost, but if your body reacts more strongly, you could end up replating once or twice a year. It''s not until you wear it, you will know.

Good luck!!!

Since platinum has come down in price, I''d definitely go for it. I think 2mm is very thin and lovely on a small finger. I wouldn''t go much thinner than that. Size is really dependent on your budget and personal preference. Staying just under a carat can be a good value.

Welcome to Pricescope,

Ditto the ladies above with their advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP