shape
carat
color
clarity

Making sure my diamond is MY diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ospray

Rough_Rock
Let''s say I buy a diamond online and bring it to a local B&M for the setting. Do I drop the diamond off to be set, and pick it up later? Or do they set it while you wait?

And more importantly, how can I be sure that they return MY actual diamond, rather than swap in one of their crappier ones? What is the best way to always know that my diamond is my diamond?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can have the inclusions matched to your report when it's checked in and also when it's returned. But really, you shouldn't be dropping it off at a jeweler that you don't trust not to switch it out! Usually you have to drop it off and sometimes for a few weeks because this is the busy season.

Why not have your diamond vendor set your stone?

ospray

Rough_Rock
The reason I was thinking to have it set locally was because there is no question that I am going to have to get it re-sized. My GF does not wear rings, so I can''t figure out a way to get her ring size without tipping her off as to what I''m up to.
12.gif

I figured getting it set locally would make it easy/fast to go in and and get it re-sized after I give it to her.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 12:02:39 PM
Author: ospray
The reason I was thinking to have it set locally was because there is no question that I am going to have to get it re-sized. My GF does not wear rings, so I can''t figure out a way to get her ring size without tipping her off as to what I''m up to.
12.gif

I figured getting it set locally would make it easy/fast to go in and and get it re-sized after I give it to her.

A place can size a ring even if they didn''t set it...I''d get it set by the vendor personally, that way the diamond is covered by insurance during the setting process. If you take it somewhere locally they likely won''t take responsibility for the stone because they didn''t sell it.

ospray

Rough_Rock
Wow, great point, I hadn''t really thought of it that way. Thanks neatfreak, I will take your suggestion!

Will any old B&M typically re-size a ring?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 12:34:58 PM
Author: ospray
Wow, great point, I hadn''t really thought of it that way. Thanks neatfreak, I will take your suggestion!

Will any old B&M typically re-size a ring?

Yes, but some will do a better job than others, so I''d scout some reputable ones out first before just bringing it to anyone.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I just did this. My B&M did take responsibility for setting the stone. But the jeweler also had the right to refuse to set it once she saw it. Of course she didn''t. :) My diamond is inscribed. We wrote it down on the ticket. We looked at the inscription before and after it was set to ensure it was mine. They were totally ok with doing that as they certainly didn''t want me coming back later saying it was the wrong stone. In all honesty I could tell right away it was mine because it''s of a much better cut. Unfortunately they used the wrong prongs or head and now I have to take it back to be reset.
7.gif
I''m very sad about that. But I trusted this store and felt comfortable with the process.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 12:51:41 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I just did this. My B&M did take responsibility for setting the stone. But the jeweler also had the right to refuse to set it once she saw it. Of course she didn''t. :) My diamond is inscribed. We wrote it down on the ticket. We looked at the inscription before and after it was set to ensure it was mine. They were totally ok with doing that as they certainly didn''t want me coming back later saying it was the wrong stone. In all honesty I could tell right away it was mine because it''s of a much better cut. Unfortunately they used the wrong prongs or head and now I have to take it back to be reset.
7.gif
I''m very sad about that. But I trusted this store and felt comfortable with the process.

That''s great that they were willing to take responsibility for it, most B&M jewelers won''t. Another option is to insure it yourself before it''s set by insuring both components separately with Jeweler''s Mutual. But it''s still easiest just to get your vendor to set it rather than a third party.

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
First off, in defense of the local store, it''s so insignificantly likely of a switchout. Not to say it could never happen...So examine your diamond, ask them to put it under a microscope for you so you can identify characteristics that can''t be faked. At the very least they''ll know YOU know what you have. Even show them the cert.

Most things can be done "while you wait" although probably not during the holiday season.

Marty
Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com
"see it, we beat it"

rosskuhns

Rough_Rock
I recall a 60 minutes type show (maybe just a regional or local TV?) where a reporter went in to a B&M mortar store to have her grandmothers stones reset or something. After they got the ring back they found the jeweler switched the side stones out (maybe the main too?) for lesser diamonds. They had marked them or gotten theirs engraved or something and had their own guy on hand to show them they were different.
As is usual with scammers, when they came in with the cameras and confronted him, the jeweler denied everthing and I think eventually pushed them back out of his shop.

They said at the time to have your stones number engraved or similar. Obviously, it''s a bit misty, it was years ago, but obviously too, scams do happen.

pieterlars

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading this forum all day and am a bit stressed out now to be honest.

I was recently given an 80 year old diamond ring that had been in my family. I''m using it to propose to my girlfriend. I took it to a local jeweler to have it appraised and refinished and various other things. The jewler examined it briefly and told me that the two main diamonds had minor chips and that he could send it out to have the diamonds recut. She told me that it would come back with more "modern" cuts that would make it sparkle more. At the time it sounded pretty good, the diamonds were old and not cut with today''s technology.

Long story short, I ordered the recuts and new settings from her along with an official appraisal. I am just not realizing how little guarantee I have that I will get the same stones back when she''s done.

She did estimate that the ring was valued between 4 and 5 thousand so I am expecting the appraisal to come back in that ballpark.

Have I completed dropped the ball on this? At this point, is there any way for me to guarantee she doesn''t rip me off? The ring is out still due to holiday backlog but I should have it by the end of the week.

Any advice would be great.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 6:00:40 PM
Author: pieterlars
I''ve been reading this forum all day and am a bit stressed out now to be honest.

I was recently given an 80 year old diamond ring that had been in my family. I''m using it to propose to my girlfriend. I took it to a local jeweler to have it appraised and refinished and various other things. The jewler examined it briefly and told me that the two main diamonds had minor chips and that he could send it out to have the diamonds recut. She told me that it would come back with more ''modern'' cuts that would make it sparkle more. At the time it sounded pretty good, the diamonds were old and not cut with today''s technology.

Long story short, I ordered the recuts and new settings from her along with an official appraisal. I am just not realizing how little guarantee I have that I will get the same stones back when she''s done.

She did estimate that the ring was valued between 4 and 5 thousand so I am expecting the appraisal to come back in that ballpark.

Have I completed dropped the ball on this? At this point, is there any way for me to guarantee she doesn''t rip me off? The ring is out still due to holiday backlog but I should have it by the end of the week.

Any advice would be great.

It is very unlikely that she will rip you off, these stories are very far fetched and don''t happen very often. If the store has been around awhile and is reputable, likely all will be ok. Just make sure the color and clarity is either the same or better when you receive the ring (could be better due to the recut) and have it independently appraised by someone who DOES NOT sell jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results