shape
carat
color
clarity

My first project has arrived!!!

Engrgrl1

Shiny_Rock
I want to start off by thanking this community for helping me through this process! I started last fall reading as much as I could on the boards and learned so much! (Tonks thread on a scientific approach to ring selection was especially helpful). I am turning 60 this year, and still had my original engagement and wedding ring--so it was high time to upgrade.

I originally wanted to purchase a stone and ring at a "one stop shop", but that did not go well. I then had Several members of Pricescope suggested to purchase the stone separately and have a ring made by a reputable jeweler; and I nervously started down that path. I was looking for a MRB with excellent , top notch cut, D-E color, in the 4.25-4.5 ct weight range. I wanted it to look substantial but not like a ring pop. Kim looked, and at the time there wasn't much good stuff on the market. Then another PSer noted a MRB stone in that size range posted on the "pre-loved" page that had previously been vetted by Kim and DejaWiz.

It was competitively priced, but was "no returns". After having Kim N graciously look at it again and confirm it was a beautiful stone, I took a leap of faith and bought it! Although it was a little smaller than I was looking for, it reportedly "looked" like a 4.20, and that was close enough. I had it sent straight to David Klass--recommended by PSers--so I had not seen the stone in person until now. (David confirmed when he received it that it was a gorgeous stone).

David was absolutely wonderful to work with and guided me through the design. I got a plastic model of the ring and band, and it was absolutely stunning. However, I am rough on jewelry, and after contemplating the design of the band and the concern of how secure the small diamonds would be, I decided to look for another design of the band. A trip to the local jewelry to confirm my size gave me the opportunity to try on some other styles, and when I tried on an eternity band, I realized that was the classic look I was going for. My husband happened to be with me, and although he liked the eternity band, he is a big fan of symmetry, and recommended that I add one on either side of the Engagement ring--and who's to argue with that logic-LOL?

I wanted to represent my husband and my children, so David suggested embedding their birthstones in the shank. I loved Kim Ns basket on her setting, and I used that for inspiration. I wanted a thicker, more substantial band, and worked with David to find the right thickness. I wanted the eternity bands to compliment the Ering, but be as big as they could be without overpowering it. And David delivered.

So today, the UPS packaged arrived, and I got my first look at the center stone and the rings!. I cannot recommend David Klass enough! He was wonderful to work with, competitively priced, and his craftmanship is second to none. The center stone sparkles like crazy-and so do the eternity bands-So, without further delay, and without a manicure or anything else, here is my Upgrade (center stone 4.13 E H&A 56% table; eternity bands are D/E approx 10 points a piece for a total of 4.33 cts. Ring size is now 5.5--and man did it take a village to get my original 4 3/4 Ering off my finger!)---and once I figure out to take pictures, I will post more: 102407-11.jpg102407-12.jpg102407-13.jpg102407-6.jpg102407-9.jpgIMG_6819.jpgIMG_6836.jpgIMG_6837.jpg

Attachments

• 102407.jpg
    102407.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 345
Love the substantial band on the ering! Congrats!

Wow that set is a show stopper! I love the added touch of the birth stones on the inside. I am starting an engagement ring redo and will go and check out the post you suggest by Tonks.

Gorgeous!

Wow! Your set is stunning!! I love it! Enjoy every second with it!!

The whole set looks gorgeous on you! Congrats!

Great outcome and happy 60th!

Love!!!!!!

@Engrgrl1, You sure came to the right place! Your rings are beautiful!

Wow that set is a show stopper! I love the added touch of the birth stones on the inside. I am starting an engagement ring redo and will go and check out the post you suggest by Tonks.

That post helped me dial in the size of the stone--I wanted to go big, but no so big as it started to look like a ring pop--something I could wear that said, "wow, look at that beautiful diamond ring, her husband must have really screwed up!" Not one that said, "that ring is definitely lab or a CZ-lol!"

I never realized how much the size of your finger really affects the perceived size of your diamond. That thread by Tonks covers it well. From that thread, I figured out that I wanted something in the low to mid 4 ct range. I really thought I wanted 5 ct, but it just looked oversized on my fingers.

I tried to go with Alex Park as a one stop shop, but with him, you need to get the stone from him to get him to set it; and when I gave him the parameters of what I was looking for (top cut quality, D-E, etc,) he proposed a stone that was no where close. He's got good prices, but he's more of a take it or leave it kind of place. I'm sure I will be perusing his website in the future for items, but for my first custom ring it wasn't a good fit.

I was nervous to work with David, but he was wonderful. I also thought his prices were reasonable. He will also find you a stone if you want, but the kind folks on PS are really good at finding diamonds. You will want to start to get some ideas of what you like--I kept a file of pictures--band width and type, prong type, stone shape and size, etc. For mine, since this was a replacement to my original Engagement ring and wedding band, my husband suggested I replace it with a similar shape stone--just bigger. That worked for me so I went with a round. That is also a more reliable stone to purchase over the internet because there are certain dimensions that usually mean a good stone. My understanding is when it comes to other diamond shapes, it's a lot more variable. My first love was the pave look--but I am rough on rings and will wear this every day. I decided against it when I was at a local jeweler and the lady behind the counter showed me her beautiful pave ring that she has had about 15-20 stones replaced in the last 15 or so years. That would drive me nuts, so I took pave off my list.

If you have any specific questions about the process, please feel free to ask. The good folks on here are also good at reviewing CAD drawings, etc. I could have not done this without the PS members--I owe them a big thanks for their help and encouragement!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And thanks for letting us be part of your birthday upgrade journey!

Wow, it turned out absolutely gorgeous, @Engrgrl1! :love: So glad we got to be part of the process! Happy birthday!

Wow. What a gorgeous ring and so glad to hear you had such a great experience. There's so many great people on PS and DK is amazing. Enjoy wearing your new ring and please post more photos!

I want to start off by thanking this community for helping me through this process! I started last fall reading as much as I could on the boards and learned so much! (Tonks thread on a scientific approach to ring selection was especially helpful). I am turning 60 this year, and still had my original engagement and wedding ring--so it was high time to upgrade.

I originally wanted to purchase a stone and ring at a "one stop shop", but that did not go well. I then had Several members of Pricescope suggested to purchase the stone separately and have a ring made by a reputable jeweler; and I nervously started down that path. I was looking for a MRB with excellent , top notch cut, D-E color, in the 4.25-4.5 ct weight range. I wanted it to look substantial but not like a ring pop. Kim looked, and at the time there wasn't much good stuff on the market. Then another PSer noted a MRB stone in that size range posted on the "pre-loved" page that had previously been vetted by Kim and DejaWiz.

It was competitively priced, but was "no returns". After having Kim N graciously look at it again and confirm it was a beautiful stone, I took a leap of faith and bought it! Although it was a little smaller than I was looking for, it reportedly "looked" like a 4.20, and that was close enough. I had it sent straight to David Klass--recommended by PSers--so I had not seen the stone in person until now. (David confirmed when he received it that it was a gorgeous stone).

David was absolutely wonderful to work with and guided me through the design. I got a plastic model of the ring and band, and it was absolutely stunning. However, I am rough on jewelry, and after contemplating the design of the band and the concern of how secure the small diamonds would be, I decided to look for another design of the band. A trip to the local jewelry to confirm my size gave me the opportunity to try on some other styles, and when I tried on an eternity band, I realized that was the classic look I was going for. My husband happened to be with me, and although he liked the eternity band, he is a big fan of symmetry, and recommended that I add one on either side of the Engagement ring--and who's to argue with that logic-LOL?

I wanted to represent my husband and my children, so David suggested embedding their birthstones in the shank. I loved Kim Ns basket on her setting, and I used that for inspiration. I wanted a thicker, more substantial band, and worked with David to find the right thickness. I wanted the eternity bands to compliment the Ering, but be as big as they could be without overpowering it. And David delivered.

So today, the UPS packaged arrived, and I got my first look at the center stone and the rings!. I cannot recommend David Klass enough! He was wonderful to work with, competitively priced, and his craftmanship is second to none. The center stone sparkles like crazy-and so do the eternity bands-So, without further delay, and without a manicure or anything else, here is my Upgrade (center stone 4.13 E H&A 56% table; eternity bands are D/E approx 10 points a piece for a total of 4.33 cts. Ring size is now 5.5--and man did it take a village to get my original 4 3/4 Ering off my finger!)---and once I figure out to take pictures, I will post more: 102407-11.jpg102407-12.jpg102407-13.jpg102407-6.jpg102407-9.jpgIMG_6819.jpgIMG_6836.jpgIMG_6837.jpg

OMG I love everything about this! I love the thicker band, sometimes i feel like the thicker bands don't look right but in yours its literally perfect, I love the hidden gemstones, it's all just perfect and looks amazing on your finger!

Wow, it turned out absolutely gorgeous, @Engrgrl1! :love: So glad we got to be part of the process! Happy birthday!

Kim, you were instrumental in this ring--from vetting the diamond originally, to recommending DK, to "re-vetting" the diamond, to sharing your beautiful basket design--I could not have done it without you!! Thank you so very very much!!!

OMG I love everything about this! I love the thicker band, sometimes i feel like the thicker bands don't look right but in yours its literally perfect, I love the hidden gemstones, it's all just perfect and looks amazing on your finger!

Thank you! I have always admired your rings also!

We fooled around with the thickness of the Ering and combined thickness, and we settled on 4mm at the top of the shank near the basket with a gradual taper down. I had David make the eternity bands also so the whole thing would "fit" together. He beefed up the prongs on these bands since they will be worn every day. We used 10 pointers in these bands--we tried bigger, but they overwhelmed the main ring.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And thanks for letting us be part of your birthday upgrade journey!

I believe it was you who pointed me to the Previously Loved stone listing :D. Thank you!

A very pretty "solid" piece! DKJ does amazing work!

Incredible! When I got to the first pic with the bands on either side, I audibly said "holy cow!"

Love this engagement ring!! Gorgeous!

Congratulations!!! I truly think that this is th most beautiful wedding set i've ever seen.... I LOVE everything about it!!!

@Engrgrl1 Wowza!! Your ering is just perfection!!! The details on the basket and the prongs are swoon-worthy! And the eternities compliment it beautifully!! Congratulations!

Gorgeous! I love the sentimentality of your beautiful setting too. We are so lucky to have @Kim N and @DejaWiz help us pick gorgeous diamonds.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics