My first Reddit group buy!

Which CTW should I get?

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to take the plunge on this Reddit group buy for a 3-stone OEC ring. I figure it’ll be a fun travel ring as well.

Help me pick a ctw! My ring size is 5.75 and I’m getting the 18K yellow gold setting.
IMG_3476.webp
IMG_3475.webp

IMG_3474.png

I think I'm confused, why wouldn't you ask that question on reddit?

I’d go with the lower ct since it will be more versatile for travel and bc your other jewels are large so that would again, add versatility.

I guess it depends on what "look" you want... the pics here are with a 6 carat center. So if you like the look of that ratio in the model pics then I'd say go with the bigger size if you want closer to this look. I agree with Dreamer, though, for a travel ring i would want the smaller size so its a less flashy look!

4.5, have the fun! I want to know about these 'group buys'. Do you have to be in an invite group or something?

I think I'm confused, why wouldn't you ask that question on reddit?

I asked the dealer directly, but Reddit users on the whole seem uninformed and biased against larger diamonds.

I guess it depends on what "look" you want... the pics here are with a 6 carat center. So if you like the look of that ratio in the model pics then I'd say go with the bigger size if you want closer to this look. I agree with Dreamer, though, for a travel ring i would want the smaller size so its a less flashy look!
Thanks for weighing in!

4.5, have the fun! I want to know about these 'group buys'. Do you have to be in an invite group or something?
It’s a sub anyone can join: **edited by moderator, no linking to other forums please**

I’d go with the lower ct since it will be more versatile for travel and bc your other jewels are large so that would again, add versatility.
That makes sense, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, cut is king, so I decided not to place an order. The seller is Ouros and a quick Google search shows that the biggest criticism of their work is how inconsistent the cut quality is.

Back to the drawing board for a lab travel ring!

At the end of the day, cut is king, so I decided not to place an order. The seller is Ouros and a quick Google search shows that the biggest criticism of their work is how inconsistent the cut quality is.

Yes good choice. We’ve seen a few unhappy customers come around here bc of cut quality issues.

Im glad you said this! I didnt want to rain on your parade but I have never seen a poster on reddit actually receive a diamond from them that looks like the ones they post in their advertising pics. I mean, the posters who have them seem really happy with the ones they get, but I feel like here the posters expect a more "true" or maybe 'traditional' looking OEC! They usually have the really 'star' looking ones with the mains that are all dark at once. I havent seen any recently, though, maybe they're better now? The price is great, but they say they're uncertified so you're not seeing the report to know if it's good, I'd want to be able to see the diamond first!

Im glad you said this! I didnt want to rain on your parade but I have never seen a poster on reddit actually receive a diamond from them that looks like the ones they post in their advertising pics. I mean, the posters who have them seem really happy with the ones they get, but I feel like here the posters expect a more "true" or maybe 'traditional' looking OEC! They usually have the really 'star' looking ones with the mains that are all dark at once. I havent seen any recently, though, maybe they're better now? The price is great, but they say they're uncertified so you're not seeing the report to know if it's good, I'd want to be able to see the diamond first!

I wouldn’t have minded at all if you said something! I love that PSers won’t let PSers buy badly cut diamonds, but I also understand that critical feedback isn’t always taken with the good intention that it was given.

I was gonna say…. You should jump over on preloved, Inked has something that might be amazing… just sayin’ ;)2

I wouldn’t have minded at all if you said something! I love that PSers won’t let PSers buy badly cut diamonds, but I also understand that critical feedback isn’t always taken with the good intention that it was given.

Weeeeelllll... it's more like .... for that price, because you cannot beat that price, so for that price for a travel ring, would you MIND if it wasnt like a 'perfect traditional' kind of OEC... because if you've seen their stuff on Reddit, then you have probably seen what they produce. So i guess thats where i was coming from!

I was gonna say…. You should jump over on preloved, Inked has something that might be amazing… just sayin’ ;)2
I would if I could! It’s a pretty spectacular honker of an OEC.

Weeeeelllll... it's more like .... for that price, because you cannot beat that price, so for that price for a travel ring, would you MIND if it wasnt like a 'perfect traditional' kind of OEC... because if you've seen their stuff on Reddit, then you have probably seen what they produce. So i guess thats where i was coming from!
The price is fantastic! The cutting…not so much.

Alex Park has some amazing antique cuts but they’re still priced higher than what I’m willing to pay. My beer budget doesn’t include artisanal craft brewers.

Usually those group buys aren't much of a discount. If you're choosy, you could just have the same ring or same style made by some vendor that'll work with you on the cut quality of stone you need.

I asked the dealer directly, but Reddit users on the whole seem uninformed and biased against larger diamonds.

I've been on Reddit over 2 years. I'll agree with the uninformed, and also not too choosy. But as for size, there are hoards of people buying really big lab diamonds all the time. Just not Pricescope quality, for the most part.

There have been so many posters recently showing up saying “I heard this on Reddit is it true?” And usually the thing they are asking about is totally wrong!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics