shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Little Old Mine Brilliant Ring

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
PS made me do it: I built up a collection of old cut diamonds, and I still desired another ring, with an old mine cut in a diamond encrusted setting. More diamonds are just what everyone needs, right? I am a male human, so I most often do custom work since estate buys with my specifications are few and far between. A few months ago, Sako posted an old mine cut I liked, an 0.68 carat that met my minimum threshold of 5mm diameter in its shorter direction, for decent visibility as a center stone. I bought it and started envisioning a companion ring to an original Art Deco brooch I have that is set with old mine cut stones (it's in the last photo).

I switched up some features of an original Art Deco piece to give it a bit more of an edge than I typically see in an engagement ring. The geometric Greek key motif from the brooch was incorporated into the gallery. Center stone was nestled in a hexagonal bright cut pave, like the brooch, to break up the texture of melee and milgrain. Sako and I decided an additional row of stones above the gallery and some tiny pairs nestled in the corner to transition between the engraved shank and gallery should be added as well to complete the design. That brought the single cut melee up to 36 pieces (!) and 0.49 ct tw. I was pleased to see the melee, represented as G color and SI clarity, did not have transparency issues or any surface chips, dents, or flaws as far as I can tell. The center stone is an I color, and although slight tint is visible to me in some circumstances, I don't detect a meaningful color difference versus the melee. This piece is platinum.

I'm pleased enough with the end result to make collages and a little video in drugstore lighting to show this ring in motion. The old mine cut is appropriately brilliant, if sensitive to obstruction, and it has different moods depending on the lighting situation. Frequently the stone displays mostly white light return, and in early morning the facets reflect ambient light in a slow haze of pastel colors. In a low lighting situation, this stone ignites with continuous pops of both colored and white light, especially when viewed from a bit of a distance...so I can see why old mine brilliants were favored for, say, brooches or necklaces in the era of candlelight. Enough text, pictures.

OMCCollage.jpg
OMCCollage2.jpg
OMCandBrooch.jpg

I found it difficult to capture the Old Mine Brilliants in photography so here is a video of me being ridiculous at the drugstore under bright lighting.

A special thank you to everyone who posted about their experiences with old mine cut diamonds and single cut melee in the past for me to obsessively read on here while I anticipated the completion of this ring. :lol:

Old mine cuts are so mesmerising. I'm so glad you got your ring and it complements your brooch so well. Thank you for posting and feel free to add more photos and videos cause we love them!

Wow I love everything about this ring! So special and gorgeous. Will you wear it all the time or just for special occasions? Has anyone commented on it when you are out and about?

HI:

UMMMM WOW! :kiss2::kiss2: Well done.

cheers--Sharon

I love this! Nicely done!

Man, Sako's work is so fantastic. I love that it's such a perfect companion piece to your brooch, and the details are so well thought out. Elegantly masculine. And the patina on the platinum is going to be so wonderful some day. :kiss2:

The details, that balance, everything is on point! The stone is lovely as well. Elegant.:love:
That brooch is fire, too.
The whole point is to be ridiculous under the lights, what are they for, anyway?:lol:
I'm still hoping to organically meet another jewelry weirdo in a big box or something, doing the same thing I am!

OMG, I LOOOVE this!! I have been having an art deco moment myself, and this is so up my alley! Love it, enjoy!!

Gorgeous! I love how your vision came to life, and if I saw you (or anyone admiring their sparklies) in the drugstore, I'd be right there. :D

Oh, lawdy - I LOVE this!!

I'm constantly torn between my love for Art Deco pieces and my love for modern, clean, and kind of androgynous lines, and you've just accomplished all of that together in one stunning, spectacular piece! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it (especially in the drug store - life's just too short not to)!

STUNNING. Perfection. Your ring is wonderful. Great job imagining, designing and crafting it to you and Sako (Cicada Jewelry).

It perfectly reflects your brooch and the photos/videos of it in action are jumping off the screen. Enjoy it in good health!

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos! Enjoy your new ring!

I appreciate it! Loving wearing it.
It is a beautiful creation! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
And thank you for the acknowledgement. You're very welcome!

STFU I LOVE THIS!!!! Thank you for sharing it!
You're so welcome - yay, I'm glad you appreciate this!

Old mine cuts are so mesmerising. I'm so glad you got your ring and it complements your brooch so well. Thank you for posting and feel free to add more photos and videos cause we love them!
Thank you, I love the old cuts with their personalities. I will have to force myself to try to nab some more. You're welcome. :)

HI:

UMMMM WOW! :kiss2::kiss2: Well done.

cheers--Sharon
Thank you, Sharon!

I love this! Nicely done!
Thank you for the bling compliment!

What a cool ring- its beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
You're welcome, glad you see its charms. :)

Man, Sako's work is so fantastic. I love that it's such a perfect companion piece to your brooch, and the details are so well thought out. Elegantly masculine. And the patina on the platinum is going to be so wonderful some day. :kiss2:
Thank you, I do appreciate Sako's skillset as a designer and bench in one operation, for pieces like this one. I hope the platinum does burnish nicely!

Wow I love everything about this ring! So special and gorgeous. Will you wear it all the time or just for special occasions? Has anyone commented on it when you are out and about?
I haven't gotten commentary on it yet...I will sometimes put this on just to get a cup of coffee so it will get some use on everyday occasions.

The details, that balance, everything is on point! The stone is lovely as well. Elegant.:love:
That brooch is fire, too.
The whole point is to be ridiculous under the lights, what are they for, anyway?:lol:
I'm still hoping to organically meet another jewelry weirdo in a big box or something, doing the same thing I am!
Thank you so much! Glad to be amongst jewelry weirdo people who appreciate the need to act in such a lighting opportunity. Haha.

OMG, I LOOOVE this!! I have been having an art deco moment myself, and this is so up my alley! Love it, enjoy!!
Thank you, I hope you find special art deco beauties, it is such a timeless style.

Love the setting.
Thank you!

Gorgeous! I love how your vision came to life, and if I saw you (or anyone admiring their sparklies) in the drugstore, I'd be right there. :D
Haha, I appreciate that and I would enjoy the conversation, I am sure.

I'd wear that.
Good job.

Oh, lawdy - I LOVE this!!

I'm constantly torn between my love for Art Deco pieces and my love for modern, clean, and kind of androgynous lines, and you've just accomplished all of that together in one stunning, spectacular piece! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it (especially in the drug store - life's just too short not to)!
Thank you so much! I spend an embarrassing amount of time on Google and Lang Antiques image searches to try to pull inspiration photos together for precisely this design challenge you mention.

STUNNING. Perfection. Your ring is wonderful. Great job imagining, designing and crafting it to you and Sako (Cicada Jewelry).

It perfectly reflects your brooch and the photos/videos of it in action are jumping off the screen. Enjoy it in good health!
Thank you! I am enjoying the last bit of summer with this ring.

Incredible.
Thanks!

Although OboeGal stated elegantly what I was struggling to, let me add - brilliant design! Anyone could wear that, but only you will. What an accomplishment.
Thank you, it is really nice to think that a unique piece is in my collection. :)

That's beautiful. The setting is spectacular. And a wonderful complement to the brooch.
Thank you, my friend.

Gorgeous ring and congrats on JOTW!

Thank you! Oh my - JOTW - I am so chuffed by this honor, thank you, Pricescope!

Beautiful diamond & the detail in the setting is exquisite. Well done!

Gorgeous! Love your vision with the design on the ring! Congratulations on receiving JOTW!!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP