shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing between diamonds

arrowj

Rough_Rock
Hello there, prospective engagement ring buyer here. Trying to choose between 2 diamonds both are considered excellent cut by gia, but not ags ideal cut.

Both are pavilion angle 40.6, high color/clarity.

Diamond A: crown 34.0, depth 61.3

Diamond B: crown 35.5, depth 61.5

I've read that for pavilion of 40.6, the ideal crown is around 34.5-35.0. However, which is better between a little deeper at 35.5, or a little shallower at 34.0?

I've seen mention of "ring of death" with crown angles > 35.5, would that affect Diamond B?

Diamond A seems to fit within ideal ranges for round diamonds, however both the pavilion angle and crown angles are on the smaller/shallower end, what drawbacks are there for a diamond cut on the shallower side?

Appreciate all input and knowledge, thanks!

Last edited:
Do you have links to up close pictures/videos?

Is there a reason you are choosing D flawless?

Is there a reason you are choosing D flawless?

Just being somewhat idealistic and fortunate enough to have a decent budget of up to $25k for this purchase

With that budget I would get something in-house from BG/WF in the 1.5-1.9 ct D-G color range down to VS2 clarity. IMO the improvement in cut quality and change in size in this carat range is much more apparent than color and clarity differences.

With that budget I would get something in-house from BG/WF in the 1.5-1.9 ct D-G color range down to VS2 clarity. IMO the improvement in cut quality and change in size in this carat range is much more apparent than color and clarity differences.

Gotcha...

Diamond B is actually 1.7ct (~30k) while A is 1.5ct (-20k)

Are Diamond B's cut measurements, namely the crown angle of 35.5, something to be wary of? I heard of a "ring of death description" with crown angles over 35

In the age of Labs, I feel like D FL is an interesting choice in a natural diamond, as it would be totally indistinguishable from a lab stone. Unless you or the intended wearer has cultural values that prize D FL, I would put the money into size and get a G color VS2 or similar. Save the money or put towards earrings of another gift.

That aside of the choices you offered I prefer Diamond A. I don't see ring of death but I like the patterning in diamond A better and I think it will provide a nicer scintillation pattern. A video would be helpful.

JA has some nice TrueHearts in this range too.

IMO any of these or something in-house from BG/WF would be a better choice if D/IF is not a requirement.

If optical symmetry is good 35.5/40.6 is likely fine. I own a 35.8/40.7 with H&A patterning and there is only leakage under the table on tilt. Leakage under the table face up is more likely for 35.5/41. Keep in mind minor leakage under the table may not even be visible in person with stereo vision.

In the age of Labs, I feel like D FL is an interesting choice in a natural diamond, as it would be totally indistinguishable from a lab stone. Unless you or the intended wearer has cultural values that prize D FL, I would put the money into size and get a G color VS2 or similar. Save the money or put towards earrings of another gift.

That aside of the choices you offered I prefer Diamond A. I don't see ring of death but I like the patterning in diamond A better and I think it will provide a nicer scintillation pattern. A video would be helpful.

Strong fluorescence D's don't look like labs.......

We need video to assess “ring of death.” It doesn’t seem to be super common, although I’m still a newbie.

Here’s a WF 1.614 E VVS1 for $24.5.

Brian Gavin doesn’t currently have many stones in the super ideal category in D or E that fit your bill. Here’s the closest I could find at 1.767 E VVS2

Good luck!

In the age of Labs, I feel like D FL is an interesting choice in a natural diamond, as it would be totally indistinguishable from a lab stone.
I think of them as collectors’ items. BG has a natural 5 ct D IF H&A round for half a million that I would love to own if I had the extra money :lol:, even though I know I can get a lab 5 ct D IF H&A round for 10k or less.

We need video to assess “ring of death.” It doesn’t seem to be super common, although I’m still a newbie.

Here’s a WF 1.614 E VVS1 for $24.5.

Brian Gavin doesn’t currently have many stones in the super ideal category in D or E that fit your bill. Here’s the closest I could find at 1.767 E VVS2

Good luck!

also @Dreamer_D

Here is another link I found of Diamond B with the 35.5 crown, this link also does have a video

I think of them as collectors’ items. BG has a natural 5 ct D IF H&A round for half a million that I would love to own if I had the extra money :lol:, even though I know I can get a lab 5 ct D IF H&A round for 10k or less.

Collectors and connoisseurs love all kinds of oddities! I just don't know if I'd want to spend 25k on something that can be bought for $600 lol

What? We aren't talking about fluor. We are talking about FL (flawless)
1717702699993.png
it was about how a D FL Natural (non fluor) is indistinguishable from a clean D Lab...... Most people looking at it would assume synthetic...

Here is another link I found of Diamond B with the 35.5 crown, this link also does have a video

This one isn't cut well. It goes slightly dark under the table with very slight rotation. Although I don't think that's necessarily "right of death," it is indicative of a poor cut. Plus the optical symmetry isn't there.

This one isn't cut well. It goes slightly dark under the table with very slight rotation. Although I don't think that's necessarily "right of death," it is indicative of a poor cut. Plus the optical symmetry isn't there.

Only the arrows go dark and only half of them which is normal obstruction I would think.

Only the arrows go dark and only half of them which is normal obstruction I would think.

Oh, so is this an ok cut? Truly asking for edification and clarity. I’m still relatively new here and open to learning.

Looks like you have up to $30K. I would definitely go with a Super Ideal....H&A and has all the images to show that it doesn't
have any leakage (all ACAs). You can ask for side-by-side photos or for pictures of certain stones on someone's finger to
get ideas of the size difference.

If you want to stay under $25k

You have a healthy budget. It would be nice to get a stone with the best cut available.

I don't love the cut either TBH.

@0515vision It is not my favourite flavour of cut either. I think what you are noticing is that the patterning is different from the ideal norm and I think not as precise as we are used to. So it looks a teensy bit more chaotic than we usually like. And it has very thin arrows, closer to 80% than the 75% most ideal cut stones have. But I'm not sure that means its BAD per se. I don't see the red flags like haze or leakage or over darkness. I don't think it suffers from too much obstruction. There might be some of what I've heard called paddling, where there are areas around the tips of the arrows that go darker than we like to see. But I'm not sure we do the best service if we just call it "bad" cut. There are far far worse dogs to be found! It is an exceptionally well cut diamond in the grand scale. And natural diamonds this size and color and clarity are very rare. All this should be considered i think when we evaluate natural diamonds.

@0515vision It is not my favourite flavour of cut either. I think what you are noticing is that the patterning is different from the ideal norm and I think not as precise as we are used to. So it looks a teensy bit more chaotic than we usually like. And it has very thin arrows, closer to 80% than the 75% most ideal cut stones have. But I'm not sure that means its BAD per se. I don't see the red flags like haze or leakage or over darkness. I don't think it suffers from too much obstruction. There might be some of what I've heard called paddling, where there are areas around the tips of the arrows that go darker than we like to see. But I'm not sure we do the best service if we just call it "bad" cut. There are far far worse dogs to be found! It is an exceptionally well cut diamond in the grand scale. And natural diamonds this size and color and clarity are very rare. All this should be considered i think when we evaluate natural diamonds.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the video for Diamond B! But in the end, you liked what you saw in the video for Diamond A more?

Having the highest color and clarity should be secondary to having the best cut in my opinion. Cut is everything in a diamond’s performance. After that, the next noticeable thing is size. I would drop color/clarity down a bit to go up in size with a super ideal cut diamond. Diamond shrinkage syndrome can set in quickly so I would certainly keep that in mind.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the video for Diamond B! But in the end, you liked what you saw in the video for Diamond A more?

A is nicer I think but I’d like to see a video.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP