shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help for low budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adrienneg

Shiny_Rock
I have to start off by saying how much I LOVE this forum. I''ve spent hours every day on this site since I''ve discovered it a few weeks ago, and drool over everyone''s jewelry, especially the engagement rings. With that said, I was hoping that you can help me make a decision so I no longer obssess over erings.

I am consider buying an engagement ring to replace the one I had to give up, but money is different now, so here are my options.

1. Spend $1K or less on a good quality small stone on a simple gold setting from whitelflash

OR

2. Save $$ for another year or so and get something bigger

Is a .25-.4 carat solitaire ering too small? I have short fingers that are a size 4.75. The stone I was looking at is here http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-424.htm#

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The good thing about small stones is you can lower your color and clarity grades. I color will look colorless.

And .25-.4 is not too small. Your budget actually could put you in the .4+ range, but not to .5 cts. Plus, WF has a great trade-up policy.

waiting a year to get engaged because you're saving money for a bigger rock is unacceptable IMO. (what if something bad happened between now and then?)

My first ering was a .40 carat round and I loved it. It was in a very dainty setting and I got tons of compliments on it.

I think the stone you are looking at will out sparkle most diamonds you see in real life.

I say go for it. You can save up and trade in. I am pretty sure that whiteflash will give you full credit for your first stone on a trade in.

Hi Jess and JulieN! Thanks so much for your quick responses!

I guess I should''ve mentioned that I''m actually married and have been since 2006. I had a beautiful wedding set with a 1 carat center stone, but had to sell it due to financial difficulties about a year ago. We were both in mortgage/real estate and we both got laid off while I was on maternity leave. It was a bummer, but at the time, I figured I had to do what I had to do as a good wife and good mother. That doesn''t mean that I haven''t thought about it every day (but of course don''t tell my hubby).

Things are better now, we both were fortunate enough to get into different fields, and have saved up $1K for my new ring (aside from other savings of course). But this is something that I go back and forth with... should I get something small now and upgrade later? Or just stay put?

Decisions, decisions... I guess it''s all part of being a grown up...

Actually, GOG''s upgrade is at least $500 greater than the original amount. James Allen is 2x the original amount.

If you''re upgrading a .3-.4 ct stone, you''re going to upgrade to at least a $1500-2000 stone to make it worthwhile, so it doesn''t matter who you buy from. (If your original stone is 10,000, and you had to upgrade it to 20,000, that might be a stretch for some people.)

This is my pick from WF:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1467415.htm

Date: 11/26/2008 1:24:13 PM
Author: adrienneg
Hi Jess and JulieN! Thanks so much for your quick responses!

I guess I should''ve mentioned that I''m actually married and have been since 2006. I had a beautiful wedding set with a 1 carat center stone, but had to sell it due to financial difficulties about a year ago. We were both in mortgage/real estate and we both got laid off while I was on maternity leave. It was a bummer, but at the time, I figured I had to do what I had to do as a good wife and good mother. That doesn''t mean that I haven''t thought about it every day (but of course don''t tell my hubby).

Things are better now, we both were fortunate enough to get into different fields, and have saved up $1K for my new ring (aside from other savings of course). But this is something that I go back and forth with... should I get something small now and upgrade later? Or just stay put?

Decisions, decisions... I guess it''s all part of being a grown up...

Ahh, ok! Congratulations! For me, small diamond would make me happier than no diamond, so I''d go for it.

Date: 11/26/2008 1:13:33 PM
Author: JulieN

waiting a year to get engaged because you're saving money for a bigger rock is unacceptable IMO. (what if something bad happened between now and then?)

That's pretty harsh Julie!

Adrienne: The one thing to consider with upgrading after a short time is whether the setting will need to be replaced or whether it can accommodate the new stone size. But I think a .4 stone is a great size and especially if you get a WF stunner, you will be mezmerized by it!

Hi,
I would buy a smaller diamond now and then upgrade it when you''ve saved up more money. That way you have a beautiful diamond to enjoy right now AND, say finances are good, you may even find yourself able to keep the smaller stone and put that into a pendant and then buy a larger eng. stone.

WF expert selection and ACA stones in the .40 size are phenomenal!

ehhhh... I've had that philosophy since HS, (crucial formative years, you know,) when one of my friends was supposed to ask me to his prom (leaked to me by his best friend)... and never did. I've been much more proactive since then.

If only I can see what a .3 or .4 carat stone would look like on a real finger/hand... Does it look tiny?

Actually no, a well cut round of 0.25c is abt 4mm and 0.5c abt 5mm so you do not gain much in size as weight increases.

I''d get a smaller ACA now and upgrade when you can. Also, if it was me, I''d lower the color and clarity to maximaze size. You can find eye-clean SI stones, and smaller stones won''t really show color like bigger ones will. Do a search on J and K colored stones in white gold or platinum, you might be surprised. Someday when I get to shop for a pendant, I''ll be looking for a J, maybe even a K, SI1 or 2. In an ideal cut like that, it will look phenominal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP