shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED HELP JUST BOUGHT AN ENGAGEMENT RING AND WANT TO MAKE SURE I GOT A DECENT PRICE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dvazirani

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I''ve been looking on this site for a while and finally went down to the diamond district and had a ring made and want to see if I got a good deal, because I can still back out. I took it to a couple of places to get it appraised and everyone said it was a fair price, except one guy who said i way overpaid, but I find that hard to believe, so I just want to make sure. It is GIA certified and the specs are:

Round Brilliant
1.06 carat
H
VS2
Very Good cut
Excellent Polish
Good Symmetry
No Flourescence
Measurements: 6.62-6.76 x 3.98
Total Depth 59.5%
Table Size: 60%
Crown Angle: 30.5
Crown Height: 11.5%
Pavilion Angle: 42
Pavillion Depth: 45%
Star Length: 60%
Lower Half: 85%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick

I paid $4,880 for the stone and another $ 2,120 for the platinum setting with 2 .2 ct round side stones and .2 ct shank all VS2 G color, so the total was $7000.

Most of the people said I got a fair price, but one person said that the total of everything was worth only around $4,000 to a max of $5,000, which I found really low but still got me worried. I love the ring, so I don''t want to back out, but I just want to make sure I got a fair price. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you.

Well...it''s a pretty poorly cut stone. You can do better...

I agree with Neatfreak, that is not a very well cut stone. The best stones are excellent or ideal cut. If you''d stick with those (GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal) you''d have a better chance of getting a good diamond. If you had asked us before you went shopping, we could have told you that!
1.gif

Date: 11/29/2008 11:06:26 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I agree with Neatfreak, that is not a very well cut stone. The best stones are excellent or ideal cut. If you''d stick with those (GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal) you''d have a better chance of getting a good diamond. If you had asked us before you went shopping, we could have told you that!
1.gif
Ditto to Neatfreak and diamondseeker. Check out www.goodoldgold.com It''s a quick train ride from NYC. or www.engagementringsdirect.com Mark is in the diamond district, not at street level. and www.whiteflash.com

1.gif
With due respect DS, not everyone needs the cut standards we prefer. This is a really well spread stone and there are plenty of probably worse looking GIA EX cut stones.
Dvazirani you can search the boards here and see what people are charging for diamonds with those specs - you probably got a decent price for what you bought (but I do diamond quality, not $''s).
So be happy

Date: 11/29/2008 11:25:10 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

1.gif
With due respect DS, not everyone needs the cut standards we prefer. This is a really well spread stone and there are plenty of probably worse looking GIA EX cut stones.
Dvazirani you can search the boards here and see what people are charging for diamonds with those specs - you probably got a decent price for what you bought (but I do diamond quality, not $''s).
So be happy
Garry, I am very impressed with your answer. It really says it all. You have actually answered the op question about whether he overpaid for what he purchased. And I like how you also discussed the pros and cons of this stone. ie it is large looking and probably very nice, even though not to your personal standards.

1.gif
So be happy
Garry, my original diamond is far from being ideal cut, and I just cannot in good conscience not tell people that they could get a better diamond when they are stilll in the return period. $5000 is a lot of money to some people, and I would have given anything for someone to have directed us to a better cut stone in the beginning. It was a pretty expensive mistake.

Date: 11/29/2008 11:48:16 PM

Garry, my original diamond is far from being ideal cut, and I just cannot in good conscience not tell people that they could get a better diamond when they are stilll in the return period. $5000 is a lot of money to some people, and I would have given anything for someone to have directed us to a better cut stone in the beginning. It was a pretty expensive mistake.
DS I think this person bought on 47th street

Date: 11/29/2008 10:34:59 PM
Author:dvazirani
Hi everyone, I've been looking on this site for a while and finally went down to the diamond district and had a ring made and want to see if I got a good deal, because I can still back out. I took it to a couple of places to get it appraised and everyone said it was a fair price, except one guy who said i way overpaid, but I find that hard to believe, so I just want to make sure. It is GIA certified and the specs are:

Round Brilliant
1.06 carat
H
VS2
Very Good cut
Excellent Polish
Good Symmetry
No Flourescence
Measurements: 6.62-6.76 x 3.98
Total Depth 59.5%
Table Size: 60%
Crown Angle: 30.5
Crown Height: 11.5%
Pavilion Angle: 42
Pavillion Depth: 45%
Star Length: 60%
Lower Half: 85%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick

I paid $4,880 for the stone and another $ 2,120 for the platinum setting with 2 .2 ct round side stones and .2 ct shank all VS2 G color, so the total was $7000.

Most of the people said I got a fair price, but one person said that the total of everything was worth only around $4,000 to a max of $5,000, which I found really low but still got me worried. I love the ring, so I don't want to back out, but I just want to make sure I got a fair price. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you.
You bought a make of round brilliant known as a 60/60. This is slightly different than the kind of round brilliant many enthusiasts on this site prefer. 60/60s are not bad, they are just different. Most notably they will not have the amount of fire in their performance qualities that ‘near-Tolkowsky’ makes do (with smaller tables and higher crowns) but they can be extremely bright and the table size contributes to a spready look.

Based on the measurements your diamond is predicted to score between AGS2 and AGS4 in light performance according to the AGSL cut guidelines. It is a GIA VG in cut and rates a 3.1 on the HCA. I agree with the HCA prediction that it is an attractive diamond; ‘worth buying if the price is right. While it may not be a first choice for cut enthusiasts what you paid is consistent with similar 60/60 makes offered online, so you got a fair deal on the diamond. The question is, does it speak to you - are you happy with it?

60/60s get a bad reputation because they're typically the most weight-efficient make of round brilliant to produce from sawable rough crystal. A great many 60/60s are cut for weight rather than beauty. That's not always the case but it's the rule rather than the exception. As a result, many of the diamonds found in deep-discount markets tend to be 60/60s which were not very well cut.

Dvizirani,

Just comparing to other diamonds also with GIA certification, similar size, cut & clarity...they range on this board with a $1000 spread, top to bottom...and your price is among the lowest for the diamond.

But, and, since you like it, that's good. We understand conventionally well cut diamonds don't come with a significant premium for this characteristic, though I'm guessing you did some comparisons before selecting this one. Based at least on this still open window before you commit to the purchase...I also would suggest you identify a place that carries, as we say, more conventionally well cut stones (Hearts of Fire, Tiffanys, Jareds AGS0), and see if you have no substantive preference. In the end, you be the judge...

and...(edited to add for Garry)...the poster says up front...

"(I) want to see if I got a good deal, because I can still back out."

You just bought a poorly cut diamond but can still back out?

Back out.

Date: 11/30/2008 12:00:19 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Dvizirani,

Just comparing to other diamonds also with GIA certification, similar size, cut & clarity...they range on this board with a $1000 spread, top to bottom...and your price is among the lowest for the diamond.

But, and, since you like it, that's good. We understand conventionally well cut diamonds don't come with a significant premium for this characteristic, though I'm guessing you did some comparisons before selecting this one. Based at least on this still open window before you commit to the purchase...I also would suggest you identify a place that carries, as we say, more conventionally well cut stones (Hearts of Fire, Tiffanys, Jareds AGS0), and see if you have no substantive preference. In the end, you be the judge...
I'm a fan of live experience and comparisons. The above are 'near-Tolkowsky' makes. A side by side comparison would allow you to see what performance qualities your eyes prefer. If you love the look of your 60/60 you're set (unless you wish to seek out an EX or AGS Ideal 60/60 for kicks). If you prefer the look of a 'near-Tolkowsky' you have discovered that preference.

Alternately you could decide we're all way too obsessed with this stuff and close your browser.
2.gif

Take a look at this one. If I were buying for myself, I would go with a better cut diamond and a less expensive setting to keep your budget. But everyone is different.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4358/

Yikes!

GOG''s list of specs on the right says this diamond has a PA of 4.08 degrees.

39.gif

Date: 11/30/2008 1:25:16 AM
Author: Moh 10
Yikes!

GOG''s list of specs on the right says this diamond has a PA of 4.08 degrees.

39.gif

typo
it is 40.8

Aw Garry, you''re no fun.
I thought we could plug it into diamondcalc or something and see how it would perform with a PA of 4.08.
37.gif

It would perform like a sole. The fishy type. (the 4.08 PA, not the OP's stone)

Date: 11/30/2008 3:22:41 AM
I thought we could plug it into diamondcalc or something and see how it would perform with a PA of 4.08.
37.gif
Cant get under 10 degrees Moh

BTW how many people get your name?

I only remember a few things from Highschool science class and that is one of them :)

Date: 11/30/2008 5:59:55 PM

Date: 11/30/2008 3:22:41 AM
37.gif
Cant get under 10 degrees Moh

BTW how many people get your name?
Oh, I get it! Moh as in the 3 stooges...with like 1 Moh, and 8 Curly''s. This one was my favorite!

Date: 11/29/2008 11:48:16 PM

I agree with Neatfreak, that is not a very well cut stone. The best stones are excellent or ideal cut. If you'd stick with those (GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal) you'd have a better chance of getting a good diamond. If you had asked us before you went shopping, we could have told you that!
1.gif
Dvazirani you can search the boards here and see what people are charging for diamonds with those specs - you probably got a decent price for what you bought (but I do diamond quality, not $'s).
So be happy
Ditto, I don't see the harm in telling the OP the truth in that they bought a pretty average cut stone, and they could certainly spend their money wiser with a lil research and assistance here.
Also, dvazirani - when you say you "took it to a couple of places to get it appraised' - what exactly do you mean? Were these other diamond vendors? Did you pay for their services? Were they appraisers in stores that sold diamonds? If this is the case, you will not get an honest worthwhile assessment (most of the time).
You need to go to an independent appraiser when you have finalized your purchase - there is a list of these under resources at the top of this page.
5.gif

This statement concerns me, who were these ppl?

"Most of the people said I got a fair price, but one person said that the total of everything was worth only around $4,000 to a max of $5,000, which I found really low but still got me worried. "

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP