shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with selection: Is it possible to tell if diamond has good light reflection without ID/ASET?

Natalie33

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I stumbled upon this forum while browsing for the 4Cs and entered a whole new work. I am looking at engagement rings and the jeweler exclusively sources from a gem vendor that is B&M, so it’s a long process of back and forth to look at stones.

they’ve sent me 3 stones that I thought looked decent in still photos and videos and two of them have the proportional range recommended by a lot of you. The first is outside of it (with table of 59% and I think recommended range was 54%-57%), but all 3 scored below 2 on the HCA tool. I’ve asked for ID/ASET, but I’m not sure I’ll get it.

Was wondering if it’s possible to see from normal photos if these are ideal or close to ideal?

View attachment 774129View attachment 774130View attachment 774131

Hello!

I stumbled upon this forum while browsing for the 4Cs and entered a whole new work. I am looking at engagement rings and the jeweler exclusively sources from a gem vendor that is B&M, so it’s a long process of back and forth to look at stones.

they’ve sent me 3 stones that I thought looked decent in still photos and videos and two of them have the proportional range recommended by a lot of you. The first is outside of it (with table of 59% and I think recommended range was 54%-57%), but all 3 scored below 2 on the HCA tool. I’ve asked for ID/ASET, but I’m not sure I’ll get it.

Was wondering if it’s possible to see from normal photos if these are ideal or close to ideal?

View attachment 774129View attachment 774130View attachment 774131

Sorry, some typos. The THIRD stone is outside of the range, not the first.

All three show decent light return.
I am not a fan of #3. It appears to have uneven pavilion.
#1 and #2 are more promising.
#2>#1>>>>>>>#3

I would like to see the videos.

All three show decent light return.
I am not a fan of #3. It appears to have uneven pavilion.
#1 and #2 are more promising.
#2>#1>>>>>>>#3

I would like to see the videos.

Thanks for the response! #1 actually has a very good polish as opposed to ideal and faint fluorescent, so I initially ruled it out. #2 is triple ideal on paper.

Video for #1 (kind of hard to see) https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1o9hx1ivgxku7o/Video Aug 12, 12 24 36.mov?dl=0

Several videos for #2 in different lighting:

Thanks for the response! #1 actually has a very good polish as opposed to ideal and faint fluorescent, so I initially ruled it out. #2 is triple ideal on paper.

Video for #1 (kind of hard to see) https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1o9hx1ivgxku7o/Video Aug 12, 12 24 36.mov?dl=0

It looks like folks are uncomfortable downloading. I didn’t see an option to post a video directly, but if someone knows how, please let me know!

Love it when a B&M vendor knows what she/he wants to capture.

#2 has no significant leakage IRL.
No significant digging/painting either. It is well cut.

#1 is nice, too, as expected. But hard to assess based on the video.

Thanks for the assessment. It was hard to get the B&M vendor to provide reasonable photos. #2 has decent ones because the jeweler requested they send the stone (they have an agreement for a one week hold).

Looking the tutorials and samples of a super ideal cut, I don’t feel like any of these are there, but I can’t tell if it’s the lighting/angle of that the photos are take that is making the arrows look not as clean. But, good to know that #1 and #2 are decent at least!

was wondering if you could clarify what you mean by uneven pavilion with #3?

I’ll post the ASET/ID pics in the coming days if they share them

Looking the tutorials and samples of a super ideal cut, I don’t feel like any of these are there, but I can’t tell if it’s the lighting/angle of that the photos are take that is making the arrows look not as clean.
You answered your own question.
Watch the second video for #2. Those are sharp arrows and good light reflections.

was wondering if you could clarify what you mean by uneven pavilion with #3?
Do you see black triangles between the arrow shafts, particular at 9, 11, and 12 oclock?
Compare that to #1 and #2, which are cleaner looking between the arrows.
#3 is badly tilted in the photo. That's one of the main reasons. But still, #1 and #2 are better in this regard.

I really like the videos of stone 2! I cant really tell anything from videos of stone 1 but I like the image. I do not like stone 3 as much

You answered your own question.
Watch the second video for #2. Those are sharp arrows and good light reflections.

Do you see black triangles between the arrow shafts, particular at 9, 11, and 12 oclock?
Compare that to #1 and #2, which are cleaner looking between the arrows.
#3 is badly tilted in the photo. That's one of the main reasons. But still, #1 and #2 are better in this regard.

Ahh I see what you mean with #3 now.
Thanks for pointing that out about #2!

I really like the videos of stone 2! I cant really tell anything from videos of stone 1 but I like the image. I do not like stone 3 as much

Glad to hear that about #2. May decide to go for this one if I can’t get the ID/ASET photos.

Hello! wanted to circle back on this on with additional issues for #1, which shows the 8 arrows more clearly. Would appreciate if you guys can take another look at these new videos.

They don't have any ASET/ID photos unfortunately.

As for #3, more photos and videos:

Photo Aug 21, 15 17 15.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/ec93e71e-ac6c-47f5-b8ff-4ce31677a681

I'm leaning towards #1 as I see that the arrows don't look as symmetrical on #3 and you've all commented that #1 looks better.

Cannot view the videos

K. I am trying hard with these videos.
My gut feeling tells me
#2>#1>>>>>#3

no change. But #2 and #1 are really close

K. I am trying hard with these videos.
My gut feeling tells me
#2>#1>>>>>#3

no change.
Thank you so much for your help! I know it’s not the easiest to see, I have it zoomed in on my phone.

I made a mistake. The #1 above was actually also #2. The bf didn’t ask for extra videos of 2, but noted that 3 isn’t as nice.

I am kinda confused at this point and don't know which one is which. I understand. When you are considering 3 stones and deal with multiple videos, you mix them up.
Anyhow, get this one.

I am kinda confused at this point and don't know which one is which. I understand. When you are considering 3 stones and deal with multiple videos, you mix them up.
Anyhow, get this one.

Will do. Thank you so much!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP