shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some expert eyes

rrswood

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

I have three Lab Grown Diamond's that I am choosing between and would love the expert advice from this forum.

As I assume it goes for most newbies, I'm just a regular guy/non gemologist trying to find the perfect stone for his SO and discovering the never ending rabbit hole that is finding the perfect diamond. This forum has been a Godsend thus far, as many of you are a treasure trove of critical information. And so I wanted to start a discussion about my own diamond choices and get all of your input.

Here are my three options:

Option #1 - 2.35ct D VS1
Diamond in Setting
360 Media

Option #2 - 2.35ct E VS1
Diamond in Setting
360 Media

Option #3 - 2.52 D VVS2
Diamond in Setting
360 Media

Unfortunately these choices are not exactly 1:1, and I do not have ASET/Ideal scope imaging for all three. Option #1 has an AGS ASET Map included in the AGS Ideal Report Supplement, Option #2 has all of the imaging included in the GCAL 8X Report, but Option #3 has none (though I have requested them).

I have been in person to see these diamonds and thought all three were beautiful and stunning and had difficulty telling them apart. I viewed them all through an ASET scope and Ideal scope to look for hearts and arrows patterning and symmetry. All three had the distinct patterning and symmetry I've seen on this site and others that indicate a high quality cut, though I know my eye is untrained.

My goal, like most of you, is to find a Super Ideal Cut. Or as close as I can get. My current preference is currently Option #3 due to it's color and size. Though my concern is obviously the lack of verification of it's cut (I have learned that GIA3X is not reliable in this regard) other than my in person verification. Though as stated, I'm no expert and not sure how much confidence to place in that verification.

My question to you is, would I be mistaken to go with Option #3 given that the other two options have vetted verification documents such as the AGS Ideal Report and GCAL 8X? Given that in person I was not able to distinguish them easily I originally answered this question, no. However I have not been in the space long enough to even know precisely what to look for, so I would love to hear your advice.

Please note, I am not looking for additional diamond options. I am aware that I would likely be able to find very similar stones for a lower price among the loose diamond sites often shared here. But I have committed to my jeweler due to my SO's wishes and am happy to pay the premium. However, if I'm going to pay the premium, I want to get the premium. That's why I'm here to check in with you.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Would love input from @DejaWiz and @Kim N as both of your contributions have been helpful in getting me this far.

If the 360 video for option 3 is correct it doesn’t look as well cut as the other 2. The report for option 3 also notes Indented Crystal Surface (cavity?), so I would not consider it even if the cut is perfect.

If the 360 video for option 3 is correct it doesn’t look as well cut as the other 2. The report for option 3 also notes Indented Crystal Surface (cavity?), so I would not consider it even if the cut is perfect.

I saw that note as well. How serious is that? I brought it up to my jeweler, but she couldn’t find it on the diamond and the report doesn’t indicate where the inclusion is.

I assumed because it’s VVS2 the inclusion is insignificantly small and definitely not visible to the naked eye. But would this compromise the integrity of the diamond? You say you wouldn’t even consider it?

Well cut, good quality lab grown rounds are so plentiful that I don’t see any reason to compromise with questionable cuts or material.

Well cut, good quality lab grown rounds are so plentiful that I don’t see any reason to compromise with questionable cuts or material.

Thanks for your input! Do you see any issues with Option #1?

The cut looks good to me.

Options 1 and 2 are solid choices. I slightly prefer the D for the color and the GIA/AGS report.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics