shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some opinions, please....

Arthur Kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Hi, gang! I wanted to get your opinion on this little Zambian emerald oval. I'm buying it from the same fellow in India who provided the 4.4 mm diamond cut round Zambian emerald pair I bought a few weeks ago. Those puppies turned out great! Great price, too. He learned everything he knows about emeralds--- including cutting the rough himself--- from his father and grandfather. Nice guy. seems extremely honest and forthright (plus he has 100% positive ratings on Etsy and eBay).

What do you guys think of the color, cut, and clarity of this oval? The seller lists it as vivid color, SI clarity, and minor oil. I think it looks very nice, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. You guys know your colored gemstone stuff way better than I do (although I have gotten pretty damn good at selecting quality round brilliant cut diamonds over the years--- thanks in large part to everything I've learned here, of course).

0.45 carat Zambian emerald
5.80×4x2.90 mm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241009-172515~2.png
    Screenshot_20241009-172515~2.png
    987.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: KLC
I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to emeralds, but that looks nice to my untrained eye.

I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to emeralds, but that looks nice to my untrained eye.

I was thinking the same thing! And I don't even know enough about emeralds to be dangerous. :)

Thanks for your input! Like I said, the same seller sold me a pair of 4.4 mm round brilliant cut Zambian emeralds with nice SI clarity and vivid color that were dynamite. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a quality stone. I'm just curious to get some feedback from some of you PS regulars. From my scattered online research I would guess that this emerald oval has a medium to medium dark tone, but I'd love some confirmation on that. And the color definitely strikes me as at least entry level vivid.

The size is decent, and the color is vivid, and the clarity is SI with minor oil, it has a nice look.

The size is decent, and the color is vivid, and the clarity is SI with minor oil, it has a nice look.

Thanks, Luna! Would you guess the tone is medium? Or medium dark?

Would you not get a better deal with a tsavorite for this size and tone ? With probably a cleaner stone ?

Would you not get a better deal with a tsavorite for this size and tone ? With probably a cleaner stone ?

Maybe I could (although I gotta say this fellow's prices are pretty fantastic ). But as much as I like tsavorite, it still doesn't have the same oompf as a decent Zambian emerald. To me, emeralds have a certain mystique (along with rubies, diamonds, and blue sapphires) that set them apart. Sure, Colombian emeralds are generally The Cadillacs of the bunch, but I still like zambian emerald a lot. And for a dude on a relatively tight budget a nice small Zambian emerald is significantly more affordable than a decent Columbian of the same size and quality, for instance--- and I like the slightly blue undertone of much of the better African rough ( slight blue undertone is a feature that comes at a MUCH higher price point in Colombian emeralds).

Quality tsavorite IS very nifty, tho. No doubt about it.

Last edited:
First things first, what are you planning to set it as?

Are you sure you don’t want a bigger emerald one day? I’m just checking because once upon a time I bought dainty, elegant little rings only to find myself wanting huge monstrosities as I got older.

First things first, what are you planning to set it as?

Are you sure you don’t want a bigger emerald one day? I’m just checking because once upon a time I bought dainty, elegant little rings only to find myself wanting huge monstrosities as I got older.

There is no way I would ever spring for the kind of magnificent monstrosity you displayed in my other emerald thread--- that sucker is enormous, and probably VERY expensive. Beautiful, though. Extremely beautiful. But out of my price range for sure. So with the exception of a very nice natural 1.20 carat RBC engagement ring diamond my gal is gonna have to settle for elegant little rings--- from now until our decrepit dotage. :)

As for how I'm gonna set this stone, I'm actually going to use a very lovely ring setting that has a fairly thick band. I'm replacing a vivid blue sapphire that is bugging my OCD due to its darkness. It looks fantastic in natural light, but entirely too dark in regular fluorescent lighting (and since she tends to hate being out in the sunlight she is mostly surrounded by fluorescent lighting). I've actually posted pictures of that particular blue sapphire ring elsewhere, so I'll post it again now. At first I loved the richness of the vivid color, but upon consideration I found it just too dark. She liked the ring just fine, but I know she'll like it even more when I replace the emerald (I'll probably swap it out within the next few weeks--- with her permission, of course). I'm going to swap out those dark blue sapphire earrings as well. She already has medium color blue sapphires I got her in white gold that she loves. anyway, I think this little Zambian emerald oval will look so much nicer in this particular ring setting.

Screenshot_20240830-123022~2.png

Last edited:
All good! Just checking!

I feel that based on the photos and videos only, the rounds were more vivid. I feel like this one reads darker but is less saturated? I know that sounds weird but that’s what I’m seeing.

All good! Just checking!

I feel that based on the photos and videos only, the rounds were more vivid. I feel like this one reads darker but is less saturated? I know that sounds weird but that’s what I’m seeing.

No, I think you are right on the money. The pictures of the 4.4 mm emerald rounds seemed more vivid and bright. This picture and the video clip of the oval were taken in lamplight, though. Do you think that made a difference?

This is exactly what I’m seeing too. I’m also seeing slight extinction at specific angles, but that can be overlooked.

This is exactly what I’m seeing too. I’m also seeing slight extinction at specific angles, but that can be overlooked.

Thanks so much for your feedback. but do you think it looks like a quality emerald overall? Not as good as the 4.4 rounds from a few weeks ago, but nice quality? The price tag is only $150 (and the 0.58 total carat weight vibrant Zambian emerald rounds that turned out so nice from the same fellow were only like $250 bucks total). He runs a small shop and keeps his margins VERY tight, apparently. And like I said, he has a 100% positive rating on Etsy and eBay.

Thanks so much for your feedback. but do you think it looks like a quality emerald overall? Not as good as the 4.4 rounds from a few weeks ago, but nice quality? The price tag is only $150 (and the 0.58 total carat weight vibrant Zambian emerald rounds that turned out so nice from the same fellow were only like $250 bucks total). He runs a small shop and keeps his margins VERY tight, apparently. And like I said, he has a 100% positive rating on Etsy and eBay.

Y'know, I think both of you have picked up on something that was nagging in the back of my mind. this oval just isn't as vibrant as the 4.4 mm rounds from a few weeks ago. And even though the price is good, it's just not gonna pop like the others.

Confession: I also picked the brain of the wonderful Wink Jones just a little while ago and he set my mind completely at ease about passing on the oval. Wink has forgotten more than I'll ever know about gemstones, so his opinion is nothing less than gospel to me.

Thanks again to everybody who piped in on this thread. Your honesty was very appreciated.

You need to like it. We can only say what we say but for a stone with no issues, it’s very hard to get opinions on whether it’s good, great or mediocre because everyone’s opinion is so different.

Look at this as an example:

IMG_5380.jpeg

I was initially disappointed with this stone. Vendor told me it was awesome, I thought it was too dark, vendor offered a full return, my son and sister fought over it because they love it, strangers on the street love it, random jewellery sales assistants love it and ask to try it on. I’m guessing PSers would think it’s too dark. See how hard it is to get an agreement on a stone.

For what it’s worth I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your stone. We would usually say: please don’t buy it, it’s trash, if there is.

I personally would like something a bit more vivid like your other pair but otherwise no major issues that I can see.

You need to like it. We can only say what we say but for a stone with no issues, it’s very hard to get opinions on whether it’s good, great or mediocre because everyone’s opinion is so different.

IMG_5380.jpeg

I was initially disappointed with this stone. Vendor told me it was awesome, I thought it was too dark, vendor offered a full return, my son and sister fought over it because they love it, strangers on the street love it, random jewellery sales assistants love it and ask to try it on. I’m guessing PSers would think it’s too dark. See how hard it is to get an agreement on a stone.

For what it’s worth I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your stone. We would usually say: please don’t buy it, it’s trash, if there is.

I personally would like something a bit more vivid like your other pair but otherwise no major issues that I can see.

What a great post! Great, great advice. In fact, that is pretty much exactly what Wink said. Roughly paraphrased, "go with gemstones that make your eyes happy". And I think that's a fantastic guideline. Like you said, I don't think there's anything glaringly wrong with that oval. I think it's a nice stone at a fantastic price. BUT it doesn't "make my eyes happy", honestly..... so I'm gonna pass.

As for your big green stone? I like it! The combination of the lighter green gemstone halo and a darker center stone creates a very nice contrast (and those diamonds are the icing on the cake ). Well done!

Would you mind sharing the contact of your vendor? I’m based out of India so always on the lookout for a good vendor who is local to me! Thank you :D

Would you mind sharing the contact of your vendor? I’m based out of India so always on the lookout for a good vendor who is local to me! Thank you :D

Sorry, I only just saw your message. Absolutely! Keep in mind, this seller sells a very wide range of zambian emerald (lots of low grade stuff at crazy low prices, plus nicer stuff that is still almost ridiculously inexpensive, All things considered). And communication with the seller isn't all that difficult, although sometimes a bit of clarification is necessary. He seems like a great guy and a very hard worker. Be sure to mention me if you buy something from him. :)

Screenshot_20241011-073254~2.png

Sorry, I only just saw your message. Absolutely! Keep in mind, this seller sells a very wide range of zambian emerald (lots of low grade stuff at crazy low prices, plus nicer stuff that is still almost ridiculously inexpensive, All things considered). And communication with the seller isn't all that difficult, although sometimes a bit of clarification is necessary. He seems like a great guy and a very hard worker. Be sure to mention me if you buy something from him. :)

Screenshot_20241011-073254~2.png

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it :D

IMG_5380.jpeg

I don't think that stone is too dark at all. I love a deeper green emerald.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics