carat
color
clarity

Need some thoughts on these stones...

Reppin4you

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello all,

Been browsing the forums for a bit and there are some really knowledgable people here. I am in the process of buying a LAB stone and thought I would post a few selections. I have no experience in this field and was looking for insight. Below are a few choices.

First Stone

VIDEO: Link

Second Stone

Third Stone

thanks all,

Last edited:
I can't get the video link to work on the first one. The second one's price is off. That diamond is also listed on Adiamor, but there's no price on it. Weird.

Also, I know very little about EC's.

@Karl_K, are you able to give opinions about #2 and #3? (Or #1 if the video link works for you?)

Looks like a fun search! Excited for you!

no go on 2 and 3 to much leakage and not active enough.

Here is one more for good measure.

Stone 3

Link

@tyty333, I know you’re out oval expert. Do you know how to read EC videos?

Reactions: caf
Links for 2 and 3 are the same, and IMO also too leaky and not enough activity. For vertical emerald cut videos you want to see contrasting bright and dark vertical steps that flash on and off as the stone rotates. Avoid stones with big sections of dark or grey steps.

For reference these are videos of emerald cuts that checked out in person.

Thanks for that reference list, @0-0-0! I’m bookmarking your post!

Links for 2 and 3 are the same, and IMO also too leaky and not enough activity. For vertical emerald cut videos you want to see contrasting bright and dark vertical steps that flash on and off as the stone rotates. Avoid stones with big sections of dark or grey steps.

For reference these are videos of emerald cuts that checked out in person.

How about these. This is kind of difficult having an untrained eye.

Stone 1

Link

Stone 2

Link

Last edited:
How about these. This is kind of difficult having an untrained eye.

Stone 1

Link

Stone 2

Link
IMO too much CVD grain/strain and the cut doesn’t look promising. Step cuts are hard to shop for on your own. The majority are not well cut.

Distinctivegem has some vetted options that may be in your budget. They are also good examples of what to look for in the spinning videos.

IMO too much CVD grain/strain and the cut doesn’t look promising. Step cuts are hard to shop for on your own. The majority are not well cut.

Distinctivegem has some vetted options that may be in your budget. They are also good examples of what to look for in the spinning videos.

Agree. I'm not a huge fan

@tyty333, I know you’re out oval expert. Do you know how to read EC videos?

@Karl_K is the Emerald/step cut expert (well, any cut really). He has created/designed a diamond cut (Octavia). So his
opinion is really all you need.

Thank you for the info. I ultimately decided to order the 3.32 k stone from Distinctivegem. I spoke with Jon and he was super helpful and vouched ("110%") for the stone.

Thank you for the info. I ultimately decided to order the 3.32 k stone from Distinctivegem. I spoke with Jon and he was super helpful and vouched ("110%") for the stone.

A good choice. I think with fancies it can be hard to buy from the drop shippers as a consumer unless you spend a lot of time learning and becoming your own expert! The one you chose looks beautiful.

Hello all,

Been browsing the forums for a bit and there are some really knowledgable people here. I am in the process of buying a LAB stone and thought I would post a few selections. I have no experience in this field and was looking for insight. Below are a few choices.

First Stone

Second Stone

Third Stone

thanks all,

Hey, you should check out this new site, www.yourdiamondguys.com. It’s got this cool AI that scans for inclusions and weeds out the bad ones, so you only see the best diamonds with nice imperfections. Plus, there’s tons of info on there to help you out.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics