shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to help Dad find a diamond for Mom...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

waitingimpatiently

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, you are all blowing my mind. You know so much and I know so little! My story is that my Dad has asked me to help him find my mother a diamond for a ring. My parents married when they were 19 and they are turning 60 next year so they''ve been together for a very long time. My mother''s original ring was a poor quality .33 carat solitaire. My Dad would now like to buy my mother a good quality diamond in the 1.5 to 2.0 carat range. His budget, however, is approximately $10-12K. I told him that I thought that might be a tall order but I would see what I could find. After finding this site and reviewing the information here, I know I am woefully unprepared to help my Dad with this task. I myself have never shopped for a diamond nor do I own any diamonds. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone might have. I am looking for a good quality stone but it does not have to be up the level that someone that is a diamond aficionado might require. Anyone have any thoughts? Or particular stones to suggest? Thanks so much in advance...
9.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
At the top of this page, click on the "Prices" link and enter your criteria. There are several gorgeous stones to chose from in the 1.5+ carat range!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any experience with rounds but wanted to say what a lovely thing this is for your dad to do for your mom and how nice that you are helping out!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely possible to find a Round within the budget.

Going for a Princess might get you something bigger for similar budget but not sure what shape you are looking at.

As previous poster mentioned, use the tool above to find a stone. Or if you are still having trouble just ask for help and we will post suggestions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 11:54:59 PM
Author:waitingimpatiently
Hey guys, you are all blowing my mind. You know so much and I know so little! My story is that my Dad has asked me to help him find my mother a diamond for a ring. My parents married when they were 19 and they are turning 60 next year so they've been together for a very long time. My mother's original ring was a poor quality .33 carat solitaire. My Dad would now like to buy my mother a good quality diamond in the 1.5 to 2.0 carat range. His budget, however, is approximately $10-12K. I told him that I thought that might be a tall order but I would see what I could find. After finding this site and reviewing the information here, I know I am woefully unprepared to help my Dad with this task. I myself have never shopped for a diamond nor do I own any diamonds. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone might have. I am looking for a good quality stone but it does not have to be up the level that someone that is a diamond aficionado might require. Anyone have any thoughts? Or particular stones to suggest? Thanks so much in advance...
9.gif
This one would fit that bill. I would talk to Brian about it on performance. Since your mom is not a nut like we are
9.gif
, she just might think it's the prettiest thing she's ever seen.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181460.htm

And there's also this one I'll throw in the mix. You should get about 2% off the listed price with PS discount on these.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204625.htm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 6:17:49 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 12/5/2008 11:54:59 PM
Author:waitingimpatiently
Hey guys, you are all blowing my mind. You know so much and I know so little! My story is that my Dad has asked me to help him find my mother a diamond for a ring. My parents married when they were 19 and they are turning 60 next year so they've been together for a very long time. My mother's original ring was a poor quality .33 carat solitaire. My Dad would now like to buy my mother a good quality diamond in the 1.5 to 2.0 carat range. His budget, however, is approximately $10-12K. I told him that I thought that might be a tall order but I would see what I could find. After finding this site and reviewing the information here, I know I am woefully unprepared to help my Dad with this task. I myself have never shopped for a diamond nor do I own any diamonds. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone might have. I am looking for a good quality stone but it does not have to be up the level that someone that is a diamond aficionado might require. Anyone have any thoughts? Or particular stones to suggest? Thanks so much in advance...
9.gif
This one would fit that bill. I would talk to Brian about it on performance. Since your mom is not a nut like we are
9.gif
, she just might think it's the prettiest thing she's ever seen.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181460.htm

And there's also this one I'll throw in the mix. You should get about 2% off the listed price with PS discount on these.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204625.htm
Good suggestions.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
How sweet of your dad, and how nice of you to help! A few others suggested that you could get a bigger princess cut, but I thought princesses faced up smaller for their carat weight. If this is true, rounds would be better if he''s looking for more size. I love the suggestions you''ve been given already, your mom should be thrilled! Let us know what you pick.

waitingimpatiently

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your responses. This task makes me so nervous because it involves so much of my father''s money and because I really want to help my dad "wow" my mom. To the poster that commented on how nice it was for my dad to do this for my mother, I feel the same way and I want to help him blow her away!

After reviewing many of the posts here on ps, I see that some people have concerns about stones that are graded I in color. Will an I stone look yellow to someone that is not a diamond expert like myself or my mother? I think my mother would like to have the biggest stone possible without sacrificing completely and getting a poor quality stone. It does seem that if I went for an I colored stone, I could go a little bigger. I reviewed the stones that people have suggested and I could not really tell a color difference between a G and an I online. Will it be the same in real life?

Again, thank you so much for the hand holding...

waitingimpatiently

Rough_Rock
By the way, I was thinking I would go with a round since it seems to be a very classic cut. I think it is the most safe option since I will be buying this diamond without my mother''s input. FYI, her original engagement ring was round as well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a very well cut to well cut stone, which all of these are, no, I don't think she'd be able to tell. And it won't look yellow at all, just maybe more like winter white, than icy white.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 12:05:10 PM
Author: waitingimpatiently
By the way, I was thinking I would go with a round since it seems to be a very classic cut. I think it is the most safe option since I will be buying this diamond without my mother's input. FYI, her original engagement ring was round as well.
Absolutely, I agree a round would definitely be your best option.

And ditto Ellen, a well cut I or J colour ( GIA or AGS graded) will not look in any way yellow.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never knowingly seen an J, but I have seen a couple of well cut I''s and they are clear to my eyes. I think the description of winter white is a good one.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one too http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4976/. An H color obviously being between a G and I so you are totally safe there and a gorgeous cut to boot!

I don''t blame you for wanting as big a stone as you can for the money but I think this 1.54 will blow her away in size if she has been wearing a small stone all of her life.

It wouldn''t hurt to call these vendors as well and tell them what you are trying to find. If you give them some size and dollar parameters, you''ll be amazed at what they can come up with!

Happy shopping and please let us know what you decide to go with!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, poo, that one looks like it has been put on hold. You never know though - someone may choose something else so you could keep checking on it or give GOG a call!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t worry about the I color at all, unless she''s somehow indicated that she wants a "colorless" one. An I, even a J, in a great cut will not look at all yellow.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
My original ering was a J color and it looked great. It was a RB 1.56 carat VVS1 - don''t remember the dimensions, though.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
That stone will be BEAUTIFUL!!! Ideal scope looks great!!! They have great service and upgrade policy too. She will love it!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
will be amazing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a suggestion for you! Back when I was first looking for my anniversary diamond, I ordered a 1.66 ct. stone from Winfield''s. It was an almost ideal cut stone that was bought as an investment years ago by one of his relatives and it has been locked in a safe ever since and never set in a ring. The stone is an H VS1 and it has an old GIA cert. I did have it looked at by a local jeweler and they said it was as represented. The price listed on the Winfield''s site currently is quite a bit more than it was when I was looking at it. So you may want to speak to Wink about how flexible the price is. It was less than comparable stones at the time.

http://www.winkjones.com/specials/diamonds.php

Here is a picture, but excuse the reflection from my yellow gold band!

wink1.66a.JPG

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker:

can i ask why you decided against this diamond? Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results