shape
carat
color
clarity

New Diamond Pendant droops - any recourse?

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
A9281A01-5791-4459-9926-808076FE28A7.jpegA9281A01-5791-4459-9926-808076FE28A7.jpegAAD2C29B-B531-4D5D-BBE7-A364D71E7727.jpeg21DA5CAE-304D-4C92-BEE0-9517984268A0.jpegSo... I decided to reset my engagement diamond into a pendant - 18k YG simple six-prong, basket style. I just received it today and I am SO disappointed -- the pendant droops and it does not sit flat on my neck/chest.

I sent the jeweler pictures of what I wanted and they ordered a stock setting for me. It never occurred to me that the pendant would droop -- if I were informed that this would be a possibility, I would have picked a different setting.

Does anyone have any idea as to what can be done? OR maybe I should just get it reset again? Another question - should the jeweler have warned me that something like this would happen? Or they gave me what I wanted and that's that? I feel that I went to a reputable jeweler and they should have advised me.

Thanks!

A9281A01-5791-4459-9926-808076FE28A7.jpegA9281A01-5791-4459-9926-808076FE28A7.jpegAAD2C29B-B531-4D5D-BBE7-A364D71E7727.jpeg21DA5CAE-304D-4C92-BEE0-9517984268A0.jpegSo... I decided to reset my engagement diamond into a pendant - 18k YG simple six-prong, basket style. I just received it today and I am SO disappointed -- the pendant droops and it does not sit flat on my neck/chest.

I sent the jeweler pictures of what I wanted and they ordered a stock setting for me. It never occurred to me that the pendant would droop -- if I were informed that this would be a possibility, I would have picked a different setting.

Does anyone have any idea as to what can be done? OR maybe I should just get it reset again? Another question - should the jeweler have warned me that something like this would happen? Or they gave me what I wanted and that's that? I feel that I went to a reputable jeweler and they should have advised me.

Thanks!

Have you tried putting the chain through at like 3 and 9 o’clock? Don’t know if that is possible but it would give it a bit more balance. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it back to the jeweler for suggestions - no one would be happy with it like that!

Thanks!

rats!

Have you tried putting the chain through at like 3 and 9 o’clock? Don’t know if that is possible but it would give it a bit more balance. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it back to the jeweler for suggestions - no one would be happy with it like that!

No -- it's not possible to put the chain at 3/9 o'clock : ( Thanks for the suggestion though.

I was dealing w the sales associate about it today and she was not helpful - basically said "we ordered what you wanted" -- which is true but I expected better service. For example, my eyesight is pretty bad so if I get large frames, the lens would be quite thick (despite upgrading to high-index). If I went into a store to pick out frames, I would expect them to tell me not to pick large frames but if I were to order them online, then I don't expect service like that - hence the cost difference between brick/mortar and online.

No -- it's not possible to put the chain at 3/9 o'clock : ( Thanks for the suggestion though.

I was dealing w the sales associate about it today and she was not helpful - basically said "we ordered what you wanted" -- which is true but I expected better service. For example, my eyesight is pretty bad so if I get large frames, the lens would be quite thick (despite upgrading to high-index). If I went into a store to pick out frames, I would expect them to tell me not to pick large frames but if I were to order them online, then I don't expect service like that - hence the cost difference between brick/mortar and online.

Ask to speak to the owner. This is just not acceptable. It night have been your choice, but a jeweler should have talked to you about what kind of chain you would be using. He should have advised you what would work and what wouldn’t so I would contact him.

Ask to speak to the owner. This is just not acceptable. It night have been your choice, but a jeweler should have talked to you about what kind of chain you would be using. He should have advised you what would work and what wouldn’t so I would contact him.

Thanks. I needed to hear from someone else that I am not unreasonable to ask that something be done.

Thanks. I needed to hear from someone else that I am not unreasonable to ask that something be done.
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. Their job is to advise you of the pros and cons of what you chose before ordering it for you. I think this can be fixed by adding a bail attached to the back. It would be hidden so it would still have the look you were intending. I can't find a picture but I know I have seen some like that.

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. Their job is to advise you of the pros and cons of what you chose before ordering it for you. I think this can be fixed by adding a bail attached to the back. It would be hidden so it would still have the look you were intending. I can't find a picture but I know I have seen some like that.
Thanks! Let me see if I can a setting w/ a hidden bail.

Thanks!
if the chain isn't fixed, and the setting is a "slide" type, I'm not sure why you can't thread the chain differently. The photos are not close up enough for me to see if that is possible. If not, then either the bale, or convert it to a fixed style pendant.

if the chain isn't fixed, and the setting is a "slide" type, I'm not sure why you can't thread the chain differently. The photos are not close up enough for me to see if that is possible. If not, then either the bale, or convert it to a fixed style pendant.

There’s no other way to thread the chain - there are 3 posts (lack of a better word). I think the bale is a good solution - I’ll have to look for one - I didn’t want a noticeable bale - I was looking for the floating look. Thanks

There’s no other way to thread the chain - there are 3 posts (lack of a better word). I think the bale is a good solution - I’ll have to look for one - I didn’t want a noticeable bale - I was looking for the floating look. Thanks

Please let us know how you solve the issue. Have you decided that making it a fixed pendant is out? That's the only thing I can think of if you don't want some kind of bale. Unless the "hidden" bale idea works. Otherwise, I think maybe resetting it would make you happiest.

Please let us know how you solve the issue. Have you decided that making it a fixed pendant is out? That's the only thing I can think of if you don't want some kind of bale. Unless the "hidden" bale idea works. Otherwise, I think maybe resetting it would make you happiest.

Yes I will definitely post an update. I've reached out to the jeweler and I'm waiting to hear back. Another suggestion (from the sales associate) was to add "links" to the sides and then solder the chain -- I am reluctant b/c I know that if the links are not done well, they will look like "ears". I have a Tiffany DBTY necklace so yes, I do like that style but I feel that the links shouldn't be added as an after-thought - if that makes sense. I have a feeling it will have to be reset and I'm OK w/ that and I'm even OK w/ paying for it altogether. But I guess I am just disappointed they didn't tell me -- maybe this is just a "on principle" kind of thing. Anyways, I will keep you posted. Thank you for your advice.

Yes I will definitely post an update. I've reached out to the jeweler and I'm waiting to hear back. Another suggestion (from the sales associate) was to add "links" to the sides and then solder the chain -- I am reluctant b/c I know that if the links are not done well, they will look like "ears". I have a Tiffany DBTY necklace so yes, I do like that style but I feel that the links shouldn't be added as an after-thought - if that makes sense. I have a feeling it will have to be reset and I'm OK w/ that and I'm even OK w/ paying for it altogether. But I guess I am just disappointed they didn't tell me -- maybe this is just a "on principle" kind of thing. Anyways, I will keep you posted. Thank you for your advice.

Yes, adding the links it what I meant when I said making it a fixed pendant. And you're right, they would need to be very small and well done so that they didn't look like ears. I agree, that on principle, they should have told you that the setting you chose would not work as a you wanted. And maybe a reset is the best so that you know you will get what you want. I would look for another jeweler though for a reset, unless this one gives you some concession because they failed you on this setting.

So good news - they are going to reset the diamond - at no cost to me. They think that a similar setting w/ a flat back and an extra bar will prevent the drooping. If it still droops, they said I can pick another setting (w/ a bail).

I want to thank you all for "telling" me that it's not unreasonable to ask that they do something about it. Even though I am the customer, I don't think the "customer is always right" -- I used to work retail...

I needed a sounding board so thank you. I will post pictures when it's all said and done.

So good news - they are going to reset the diamond - at no cost to me. They think that a similar setting w/ a flat back and an extra bar will prevent the drooping. If it still droops, they said I can pick another setting (w/ a bail).

I want to thank you all for "telling" me that it's not unreasonable to ask that they do something about it. Even though I am the customer, I don't think the "customer is always right" -- I used to work retail...

I needed a sounding board so thank you. I will post pictures when it's all said and done.

If you still want it to be a "slide" type pendant, make sure that the chain will go through the setting at the 2 and 10 o'clock. At least that's how my slides are set and they do not bend over as yours does. I think some folks like 3 and 9, so that may work too, I just don't have any experience with that.

Can you show a picture of the back?

I am so glad they are going to do right by you and fix it! I can't wait to see pics! I know it will be just beautiful!

Can you show a picture of the back?

I'm not sure it's easy to tell -- there are three posts from which you can hang a chain -- approx 10/11 and 1/2 and 6 o'clock. The picture of the setting that I had suggested had 6 posts so you can thread the chain through 2 posts but they told me that was not stock (?) Not sure. Anyways, they think the "new" one should work (6 posts, flat back) and if not, three times’ the charm.

I’m using a reputable jeweler so I know they will do a great job if they have the "right" setting - I'm not worried about the workmanship.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CEBA7D77-916A-41B1-A88D-31B8C59F55CD.jpeg
    CEBA7D77-916A-41B1-A88D-31B8C59F55CD.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2FF277CB-759D-4701-8001-9E4816B0F41E.jpeg
    2FF277CB-759D-4701-8001-9E4816B0F41E.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 37
So happy to hear this good news! A dissatisfied customer is not something they should want to have anyway. Best of luck and keep us posted!!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP