shape
carat
color
clarity

New to diamonds!

Mike__A

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

New to the diamond world. I’m currently looking for a diamond to purchase for an engagement ring. I came across this diamond on B2C and wondering if this is a good purchase. From all the info I’ve read I would say yes… My only concern is the diamond having a faint fluorescence. Any info would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

D337126C-9430-4FBD-8256-F59B8AC84C5E.png D337126C-9430-4FBD-8256-F59B8AC84C5E.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have photos and videos? Fancy shapes can't be judged by the certificate. They need to be seen. Faint fluorescence shouldn't be an issue but to judge the stone, photos and videos are really needed.

Mike__A

Rough_Rock
do you have photos and videos? Fancy shapes can't be judged by the certificate. They need to be seen. Faint fluorescence shouldn't be an issue but to judge the stone, photos and videos are really needed.

Thanks for the reply!
B2C doesn’t have any videos or pictures. That’s another dilemma I’m running into.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you tell us your size, clarity, color requirements and your budget, then folks can help you find a nice oval. I don't think anyone will tell you to buy an oval sight unseen. And most will tell you such high color and clarity is not necessary, unless it's for cultural reasons.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you tell us your size, clarity, color requirements and your budget, then folks can help you find a nice oval. I don't think anyone will tell you to buy an oval sight unseen. And most will tell you such high color and clarity is not necessary, unless it's for cultural reasons.

This. Pic and video are non negotiable for fancy cuts

jjca

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply!
B2C doesn’t have any videos or pictures. That’s another dilemma I’m running into.

I wouldn't consider buying a diamond unseen (pics/videos). There are so many variables... can you look elsewhere or "require" them to send you some?

Mike__A

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I messaged B2C asking for pics and videos. I’m also concerned about getting one with a minimal to no bow tie effect.

I’m mainly looking for:
- 2 to 2.5 ct oval cut
-Clarity vvs1, vvs2 or IF
-Color D, E, or F
-length to width ratio around 1.5
-Polish: excellent
-Symmetry: excellent
-Girdle: THK to STK
Fluorescence :Faint to none

Thanks again!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why are you limiting yourself to such high color and clarity? You can easily buy a G VS2 that is identical to the naked eye and either save money or get a larger diamond. I just want to make sure you know you are making a choice that is not strictly necessary to have a gorgeous diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you limiting yourself to such high color and clarity? You can easily buy a G VS2 that is identical to the naked eye and either save money or get a larger diamond. I just want to make sure you know you are making a choice that is not strictly necessary to have a gorgeous diamond.

Agree

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno what’s going on but we keep seeing people trying to buy FL diamonds these days and not because they have values about purity in diamonds. Do you think it is an inadvertent influence of lab stones or something? It’s very strange.

Yeah, i don't understand.

Mike__A

Rough_Rock

I didn’t know that a G VS2 could look similar to the naked eye! I’ll do some more research and see whats around. I appreciate your input.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the replies. I messaged B2C asking for pics and videos. I’m also concerned about getting one with a minimal to no bow tie effect.

I’m mainly looking for:
- 2 to 2.5 ct oval cut
-Clarity vvs1, vvs2 or IF
-Color D, E, or F
-length to width ratio around 1.5
-Polish: excellent
-Symmetry: excellent
-Girdle: THK to STK
Fluorescence :Faint to none

Thanks again!

We need your budget as well. And agree, that high clarity isn't necessary, nor is that high of a color unless your intended is super, super color sensitive. G is generally plenty white for most folks.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno what’s going on but we keep seeing people trying to buy FL diamonds these days and not because they have values about purity in diamonds. Do you think it is an inadvertent influence of lab stones or something? It’s very strange.

Maybe a few things? This OP and another thinking of buying an IF are both new to diamonds so perhaps they think that the higher color and clarity means better? Also, and I actually know absolutely nothing about lab diamonds, but if these high clarity and colors in labs are a lot less expensive, then perhaps their friends are buying those and they think they need the same color/clarity in earth-mined? Just a guess though.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn’t know that a G VS2 could look similar to the naked eye! I’ll do some more research and see whats around. I appreciate your input.

Many people like icy icy white diamonds, but many people also consider G/H color to be very white indeed and even if they can see a very slight tint they don’t mind it and some people can’t tell the difference anyway. Many people even like more tinted diamonds. You should try to visit a store with GIA graded natural diamonds and look as some colors in person to determine your own color preferences.

Also for clarity usually around here we are happy if it can’t be seen! VS is usually very safe. I am happy the SI1 and I own SI2 diamonds that are clean to my eyes.

Usually our advice is not to spend money on what you cannot see. Put money into cut quality and size.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe a few things? This OP and another thinking of buying an IF are both new to diamonds so perhaps they think that the higher color and clarity means better? Also, and I actually know absolutely nothing about lab diamonds, but if these high clarity and colors in labs are a lot less expensive, then perhaps their friends are buying those and they think they need the same color/clarity in earth-mined? Just a guess though.

This focus on FL seems new and I think maybe it is bc labs are backally always FL and VVS and DE color it is shifting people’s expectations.

If I was going to spend 20k on a natural diamond I darn sure would not want it to look just like a lab diamond that costs 1/10th the price. I like some tint and inclusions in my natural diamonds. I liked it before labs and I like it more now.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
This focus on FL seems new and I think maybe it is bc labs are backally always FL and VVS and DE color it is shifting people’s expectations.

If I was going to spend 20k on a natural diamond I darn sure would not want it to look just like a lab diamond that costs 1/10th the price. I like some tint and inclusions in my natural diamonds. I liked it before labs and I like it more now.

yesss.

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock

agree - and they worry about Fluor too... i'd be a bit fearfull buying a 2ct D FL non fluor Natural - how would you be certain it wasn't a conterfeit Lab copy of a legit Natural GIA cert.

1721331156983.png

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
agree - and they worry about Fluor too... i'd be a bit fearfull buying a 2ct D FL non fluor Natural - how would you be certain it wasn't a conterfeit Lab copy of a legit Natural GIA cert.

1721331156983.png

Such a rare situation where the risk of a fake is actually possible! When I buy old cut diamonds on ebay my kids are always like "How do you know its reallll???" And I say "They don't make synthetics like this". Anyway it is nice to know I can easily identify my diamonds in a line up lol

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1721331156983.png

That is where your trust of a vendor comes into play.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results