shape
carat
color
clarity

No treatment Zambian emerald - thoughts please!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
My emerald budget has gone from 6k to ....this is 10K at my local jeweler. (For a variety of reasons I am planning to buy this stone locally and have it set locally - I don't want to ship the gold and diamonds of my grandmas that I am using in this new ring setting! I have seen a maybe 8 emeralds at multiple local jewelers and so far this is my favorite. Its a 1.45 carat emerald cut emerald, Zambian. No enhancement. 7.76 by 5.59 by 4.71. I like the cut. I like the color. I would say the glow is a little more "zoned" compared to Columbian emeralds I've seen - it has a strong glow in the center as you can see. Open to any and all feedback - this is my first every emerald purchase. IMG_7102.jpgvIMG_7100.jpgIMG_7093.jpgIMG_7100.jpgIMG_7096.jpgIMG_7093.jpgIMG_7085.jpgIMG_7102.jpgIMG_7086.jpgIMG_7096.jpgIMG_7090.jpgIMG_7085.jpgIMG_7086.jpgIMG_7090.jpg

I’m biased toward Colombian emeralds. Zambians look too much like green tourmaline to me.

For $10k? NO WAY.

Yes, I understand it's no oil. But Zambian origin is one of the cheaper origins. For the specification of 1.45ct and no oil and $10k, I'd expect Russian or Afghanistan origin, if it's not Colombian.

This specific stone has a bow tie, and I very much dislike bow ties on an emerald or cushion cut. On top of that, there's no vaunted glow that would increase the price premium.

My personal opinion is that this shouldn't be priced much higher than $4.5k once you factor in the cost of the GIA report. It's not a stone that would appeal to me personally.

Edit: I just want to show you what is possible around the $10k mark for an emerald. You can surely get a while lotta emerald for that price with a better color and size!

I agree, for pricing, it's way too much. For that budget, you could get something like this:

It's a lot prettier to me.

Also, you may know this, but they won't reuse your grandmother's gold. Sometimes they say they will, but in reality, you end up getting a credit. It's not the same gold that will be in your ring. It has to be refined, etc. There are some posts about that on the board.

I understand the sentimental diamonds, but I wouldn't let that tie you to a vendor that is gong to sell you an overpriced stone and mounting.

It looks pretty but very dark and like another poster said, for 10K it looks a lot like tourmaline and I’d rather be paying for Colombian for that price. Holy cow. 10K...

Reactions: T L
Here is a bad picture of a tourmaline I have for comparison:

Tourmaline2.JPG

This is from Ural Mountains with insignificant to minor oiled treatment per AGL.

1616357104140.png
1616357140653.png

Agree with the others, it’s not a $10K emerald.
obviously “unoiled” means a price premium but is that essential for you?
To me, emeralds are all about the colour and the glow. That emerald is quite dark and looks like a dark blob in low light.
once set, it will darken more.
Also agree that the jeweller won’t be using Grandmas gold despite what he/she might indicate. It needs re refining and that’s not going to happen for just a few grams of gold. Unless the jeweller is going to re use the shank / ring part with a newly created / added head?

10K huh....
thats-gonna-be-a-no-from-me-dawg.gif

The ONLY way you should pay premium is if this is some type of a requirement must have. If its a nice to have, get a lovely Colombian with minimal oil and better color.

I settled on a Columbian, minor treatment, glowy!
IMG_8950.jpgIMG_8950.jpg

I like this one more - the one in the original post is quite nice until I read the vendor is asking 10k USD for it! o_O

DK :))

Oooh! I love this! And don't say "settled" because it sounds like it's just "eh." Say you chose a beautiful, glowy stone! :kiss2:

Hope you come back and show us the finished product !

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics