shape
carat
color
clarity

Obsessed with Price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been lurking on these boards for awhile and enjoying pictures of and stories behind everybody''s ring, there are definitely some gorgeous rings out there!

My fiancee proposed to me several months ago and for some reason I am obsessed about making sure he got a good price and a good diamond. I have no idea why this matters so much to me because I truly love my ring and I would not exchange it for anything, but at the same time I feel a great deal of guilt about the money he spent on the ring. We both live very modestly and have accumulated a comfortable nest egg over the years, so it''s not like he went into debt for the ring or anything nor was it even terribly expensive, but still, it was a major purchase.

Here are the specifications of the ring from the GIA certifications--I call it an asscher cut, though after reading these forums I know there is a difference between the square emerald and the old asscher cut.

Measurements: 6.54 x 6.40 x 4.35
Weight: 1.55 carats

Depth: 68.0%
Table: 63%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Cutlet: None

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Fluorescence: Faint

Also, the write up of the ring that was included with the GIA grading report says that it is a Lazare Kaplan diamond.

I don''t know the price for the diamond itself, I only the price of the whole ring. It was set in an art deco setting with 4 1-point round brilliants on either side of an 18 point pear with the asscher in the middle. The side stones are G-H in color with VS1 - VS2 clarity.

A very high-end jeweller was closing out their inventory when the owners sold the store and he got the ring for $7,800 or so. He seems to be very happy with this price, and I am infinitely happy with the ring, but I can''t seem to shake the guilt! Is this a reasonable price for the stone (and setting)?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can''t tell you anything until we see pictures.
11.gif

No really, he certainly didn''t get ripped off, so please just wear it and LOVE it. It''s not a ton of money in the scheme of life!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
It sounds absolutely gorgeous. I would love to see it... hint, hint!

I don''t know anything about asscher prices so I''m no help there. It doesn''t sound outrageously priced though. Lazare Kaplan stones seem to have a good reputation for cut too. Hopefull other more expert people will chime in.

a

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so bad at taking pictures. Let me see if I can find one. I think I only have one and it''s blurry.

smaller ring.jpg

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
I would say for what you have there is NO ripping off going on. He got a bargain! This is what I found quickly to compare

1.5 ct Ascher
Color F
Clarity VS2
Depth 71.6%
Table 66%
Polish Ex
Symmetry Gd
Flour no
6.38x6.09x4.36

$12,450

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
And an emerald: (respectively so I dont have to type out characteristics)

1.51 Emerald Cut
E
SI1
69.1%
61%
vg
vg
no
with a very thick girdle

$8430

These are both JUST center stones

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Oh and why is it on your right hand??

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about asschers, but that sounds a good price to me...especially if the setting is platinum vs white gold.

ETA...I wanted to say it's gorgeous! But...we need more close ups!
1.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Philberoptik, that was helpful. My fiancee said that he had a few other asschers shipped into other stores that were all similar and they were much higher and he liked this one the best. He''s very happy with it, so I should just let go of the guilt. Apparently when the fiancee started looking for it, the price was higher and a few days before the jeweller closed he decided to buy it, but they''d shipped it off to be auctioned, so he had to have it fedexed back to the store. it was actually very sweet that he seemed so attached to it. Thank you guys, everybody on this board seems genuinely helpful and sweet and it''s so great to have this kind of resource for buying jewelry!

I had it on my right hand because it wouldn''t fit on my left, haha. For some reason my left hand is much larger than my right (left is 7.75, right is 6.25). This picture was taken while we were hiking, so my ring is dirty and my fingers are swollen. I''ll take some better pics tonght. You all get some amazing shots of your rings!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 5:26:58 PM
Author: TravelingGal

ETA...I wanted to say it''s gorgeous! But...we need more close ups!
1.gif
We definetly need more close ups!

Congratulations on your engagement. . .your ring is beautiful!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!! Honestly, I think it is an *amazing* deal! In most retail stores you''d pay DOUBLE for that package deal ... "F" color? VS2?? Lazare Kaplan? EX/EX?? Over 1.5ct?? Gorgeous setting?? Unless the metal turns out to be old gum wrappers
3.gif
I think it could be top 10 Pscope deals EVAH! If it''s PLATINUM *faint*??!!! But even white gold -- super, super deal. I''d guess it would appraise at 20K+ ... retail price 15-17K ... internet price 10-12K ... your price=
23.gif
12.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You sure its not a LK GE-pol type Diamond?
aka: Belataire?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 5:57:53 PM
Author: decodelighted
WOW!!!! Honestly, I think it is an *amazing* deal! In most retail stores you''d pay DOUBLE for that package deal ... ''F'' color? VS2?? Lazare Kaplan? EX/EX?? Over 1.5ct?? Gorgeous setting?? Unless the metal turns out to be old gum wrappers
3.gif
I think it could be top 10 Pscope deals EVAH! If it''s PLATINUM *faint*??!!! But even white gold -- super, super deal. I''d guess it would appraise at 20K+ ... retail price 15-17K ... internet price 10-12K ... your price=
23.gif
12.gif

Ditto. FABULOUS deal.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2007 6:03:11 PM
Author: DiaGem
HI:

I am curious, does GIA supply lab reports on these products?

cheers--Sharon

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2007 6:23:04 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 7/27/2007 6:03:11 PM
Author: DiaGem
HI:

I am curious, does GIA supply lab reports on these products?

cheers--Sharon
Yes, but they label them as GE Pol...

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
That's an outstanding price. Also, somewhere recently I saw an LK asscher mentioned and remember being a little surprised that they were branding shapes other than rounds. But it makes sense. Someone I trust quite a bit told me some time ago that although they're most known for branded rounds that LK cuts very high quality fancy shapes although most aren't branded like your stone. Congrats on the lovely ring and very nice asscher with the distinctive branding.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Dont feel guilty....it is a beautiful ring and your hubby got a great deal........ENJOY IT!!!!

MWG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I paid a similar price for an excellent cut 1.51 RB from a wholesaler getting a great percentage below the Rap, when I was buying rocks as a job.

So that price for the whole ring is truly a great deal in my book. Well done your FI!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Now I see it, page 231 of June 2007 Rapaport...one of the most beautiful Asschers I''ve seen in a claw-prong ring style with traps that I really like - "The Lazare Kaplan 100th Anniversary square emerald cut diamond combines drama and perfect symmetry, creating a modern classic that maximizes brilliance, scintillation and fire."

Something tells me your fiancee got a fantastic stone in a great ring at a killer price.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very pretty, congratulations!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a gorgeous ring. Congratulations.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you''re all very sweet and helpful, thank you. I tried to get some close ups of the ring tonight, but my camera wouldn''t focus on the ring and the shots were coming out blury. I assume that trying in sunlight is better, so I''ll do that tomorrow and remember to clean my ring first! :)

Diagem, I wasn''t sure what a Bellataire diamond was, but after looking it up I''m almost sure that this isn''t one. There is nothing on the GIA report that says anything about GE Pol. I have the GIA report with the specs (listed above), but that''s all it says. In the comments sections it just says "none". I also have a description given by the jeweller for insurance purposes, it reads:

Lady''s diamond ring features a center square emerald cut diamond by Lazare Kaplan weighing 1.55 carats. The diamond is of F color, VS2 clarity and has been set in platinum. There are also 6 (six) diamonds; 2 (two) pear-shaped and 4 (four) round totaling .42 carats combined. These diamonds are of G-H color and VS clarity. The center diamond is GIA certified with the corresponding certificate number...

then it goes on to list the SKU, Style and value. Decodelighted was almost exactly right in her estimation. The ring is appraised over $20,000 and it retailed for $18k. I think it dropped down to $11k when they started the inventory clearance sale and kept dropping over the next two months until it got to $7,800 which is when they sent it to be auctioned.

Thanks again to everybody, I feel better knowing I didn''t miss some big glaring flaw on the GIA report or something. I''ll try to take some better pics tomorrow (and find a flower for the requisite flower shot :) so that you can see it better. It''s tough to photograph diamonds because it seems you can never really capture how much life they have!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady, I can''t believe that I missed this thread - I absolutely love your ring! I have often wondered how brilliant sidestones would look with an asscher - the answer is AWESOME!

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone feel guilty as well? My BF and I have talked a lot about getting engaged and it will happen before the end of the year. I just feel bad for him spending all that money. He has a good job and makes decent money, but still.

From a men''s point of view... are you happy to spend that amount of money on your wonderful gf without batting an eye?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
*jaw drops* Holy cow! That's a GORGEOUS ring, and the price absolutely boggles my mind!! I hope I get half as good a deal as your fiance did!
30.gif

blueyes157, I feel guilty a lot of the time for even wanting a ring. Money is tight, and it feels like so much to spend on something that is basically just decoration. But I've also wanted one for years because I love diamonds so much, and I also want him to show me that he can make the effort to save up money to get me something nice.

Anyway, in the long run, it's not all that much money, really (certainly doesn't compare to all my college debt!), and if it's going to make either of us happy on a daily basis to be able to have our own sparkling star on our finger, then I say it's worth it. *goes off to explain this to my practical side again*
41.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Vesper, your ring is gorgeous, by the way. I had actually chosen an asscher solitaire, but my FI bought this ring because it was going to auction and proposed with it as is (severla months later). He told me he was happy to reset it in a solitaire if I wanted, but didn''t want to do that until I gave him the go-ahead. I decided to keep it as it is because I like the art deco setting and I''m emotionally attached to it the way it is. I really do love the solitaire, though, because I think it showcases the stone perfectly.

Blueeyes, I can definitely relate to how you feel. My FI had both been saving money for many years and I knew how much he had saved, but I didn''t feel that it really made it any more "fair" for him to spend it. We did have a couple of conversations about the ring because I initially told him I just wanted an eternity band to use as an e-ring and a wedding band. He said that he would like for me to have an e-ring and we could do the eternity band as a wedding band and I could just wear that most of the time. We compromised by him getting me an e-ring, but not spending his original budget, which he thought should be 2-months salary. He scaled down the budget and as it turns out, he came in pretty far under that budget. He used the money he saved to suprise me with a trip to Paris, which strangely didn''t make me feel guiilty at all, I have no idea why.

The thing is, I think that for the most part these guys are happy to spend the money. I have a friend whose fiance put money away for nearly 2 years when they didn''t have any money and bought her a beautiful ring and she felt really guilty for a long time. He couldn''t be happier, though, and loved that he could surprise her with the ring. Obviously if the girlfriend is demanding a ring over xx size or xx budget, then that''s no good, but it seems like this is one area where even cheaper men want to splurge.

And Gwen, enjoy the anticipation of the proposal. It''s really sweet that he''s been saving and I have no doubt that you''ll BOTH love what he chooses!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results