shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal shopping in Melbourne, Australia

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be in Melbourne for only 2 days and would love to pick up some unmounted opals for earrings, rings and pendants for my two daughters and myself. I like crystal, black and boulder varieties. I am looking for wholesale or near wholesale prices (I am not in the industry) and not too expensive. I have a very limited time as I will be with my family and they hate to shop. I searched the internet and did not come up with any prospects. Any recs would be most appreciated, thank you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my experience in Perth was not successful in finding "wholesale" prices either. I wish you luck.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Cairns and Sydney and never found any deals on opals. I looked in a LOT of stores.

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I'm in Melbourne and I don't think you'll have much luck finding 'wholesale' pricing. The opal shops here (of which there are very few) are aimed squarely at tourists, not at collectors - most of their stuff is junk. There are plenty of fine antique jewellers and designers who sell lovely pearl jewellery though.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would add that I find that aussies don't wear much opal......its mined for export, especially to the US.
I also found that a lot of the tourist pieces were gaudied up with lots of diamonds and appeared more like cocktail rings of yore.
there were exceptions but then those prices were EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH.
my in-laws don't wear opals and weren't much help in my search.
pearls? lots in the Perth area but I didn't find any "bargains".
maybe its just my in-laws and their friends but it just doesn't seem that aussie women are as inclined to wear much jewelry. I got the "you're not from around here, are you?" statement lots..........

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I agree Movie Zombie. Melbourne is probably better than the other capitals but unique pieces are very expensive and custom is rare. I guess we're such a small market that the niche isn't big enough for custom jewellers to turn a profit whilst still charging reasonable prices. Most of the high end traders are catering specifically to Chinese tourists who have $$$.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
lambskin|1373987140|3483951 said:
I will be in Melbourne for only 2 days and would love to pick up some unmounted opals for earrings, rings and pendants for my two daughters and myself. I like crystal, black and boulder varieties. I am looking for wholesale or near wholesale prices (I am not in the industry) and not too expensive. I have a very limited time as I will be with my family and they hate to shop. I searched the internet and did not come up with any prospects. Any recs would be most appreciated, thank you.

You will struggle to buy at wholesale prices if you are not in the industry, but you can buy duty free (claim the tax back at the airport), so that will give you another 10% off any prices you can negotiate. You can find out more about duty free shopping in Australia here http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4646.asp

One of the better opal experiences in Melbourne is at Lightning Ridge Opal Mines in Flinders Lane (between Swanston & Russell Streets). www.opals.net.au.. It's an interesting place, even if you don't buy anything you will learn lots.

Enjoy your time in Melbourne :)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I know from experience you can't get opals at whole sale prices even at the source! I was out at lightning ridge the home of black opal and was shocked at the prices. I did get a lovely little black crystal opal though that i haven't posted pics off cos the beauty of opals is in the movement so they don't photograph well. I love opals but wonder if they are overpriced....

A lot of the opal sold to tourists is doublet or triplet. Should be labelled as such you just have to be aware of the difference. I sometimes see good opal for sale at weekend markets but I'm from queensland.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Hear, hear - as a gem-loving visitor to both Melbourne and Sydney, I too never found any good unset opal sources, nor even any gem sellers who were particularly accessible. Jewelry prices were higher than in the US, too. The opal place in Melbourne was as good as it got. Most jewelers advertising opals were high-end, tourist-oriented, or both.

This rock-and-crystal vendor has some Coober Peedy opal, and they're in the Melbourne area. But their prices look high for the material.
http://www.crystal-world.com/html/mineral/opals.htm

I have had a positive experience with Aussie Sapphire, a lapidary supply house that also sells unset Australian sapphires. They might be able to recommend something?
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/

As an opal alternative, they also sell unset Australian sapphires - I bought one of these and have been VERY pleased. Their teal and parti-colored sapphires are particularly well priced. They're not in Melbourne, unfortunately, but their mail order was very quick.
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=265_140_3

Someday I'd like to go to the Lightning Ridge Opal Festival, and to go fossick for sapphires in the Reddestone area.

Good luck for your own trip!!

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
This.
Wyntery|1374012961|3484287 said:
I'm in Melbourne and I don't think you'll have much luck finding 'wholesale' pricing. The opal shops here (of which there are very few) are aimed squarely at tourists, not at collectors - most of their stuff is junk. There are plenty of fine antique jewellers and designers who sell lovely pearl jewellery though.

And this.

MAC-W said:
One of the better opal experiences in Melbourne is at Lightning Ridge Opal Mines in Flinders Lane (between Swanston & Russell Streets). www.opals.net.au.... It's an interesting place, even if you don't buy anything you will learn lots.

Enjoy your time in Melbourne :)

Finding anything decent will be a challenge.

Melbourne is lovely though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results