shape
carat
color
clarity

Passion Flower & Excalibur redux

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

I stumbled on a discussion of Phil Youngman''s Passion Flower and Excalibur patented diamond cuts by accident this morning. Not sure why the discussion was closed but I would like to reopen it. Stormdre made the point that both were old colored gem cuts that should not be used for diamond. Found that comment interesting because I profoundly disagree.

Here is the review I posted in September 2007 on my blog: GemWise:

Fast forward to Tucson 04, Phil had several of his new cuts, he also has developed a round he calls Passion Flower, the interesting thing about these stones is that they seemed to follow me, they didn''t wink out as soon as I passed the perpendicular view. Unlike most well cut diamonds that look great when viewed perpendicular to the table, these stones still looked good 5-10 degrees off axis. And the dispersion! Most of you know that both The Gemological Institute of America GIA) and The American Gem Society Lab (AGS) spent much of the past decade researching the so-called ideal cut round. In the process GIA created a computer program that traced light return in 10,000 sets of theoretical proportions. The result; what I dubbed in 1991 the "super ideal cut."

Is it truly super?, you bet its the world''s champion of total light return, that means it returns around 95% of the light that enters the crown of the stone back to the eye in the form of brilliance. Unfortunately in the process of maximizing brilliance, the super ideal has lost its soul. That last point may require a bit of explanation.

Brilliance in a diamond is one of the two major characteristics that makes a diamond beautiful. The other dispersion, the break up of light into its constituent rainbow parts. Most of the new ideals seem to have sacrificed dispersion for light delivery and sacrificed a great deal in the process. The Excalibur has not!

As part of the twenty year process that produced his two patented cuts, Youngman has developed a diamond that seems to maximize both brilliance and dispersion without sacrificing either. How?, by paying attention to how the diamond looks as it moves! The programs used to develop the super ideal was basically static. Youngman''s objective was, by contrast, dynamic. Hey the finger moves! Eighty-five percent of the diamonds sold today end up on the finger and it is on the finger, in motion that Youngman''s cuts shine. Both have the high crown and small table that many connoisseurs appreciate in the Old European and Old Mine Cuts.

Excalibur and Passion Flower have both been tested by GemEx, a company that grades diamonds by using a machine called a brilliancescope to measure brilliance, dispersion and scintillation. Excalibur achieves the highest grades, Very High, in all three categories; Passion Flower grades on the line between high/very high in brilliance (white light return) and scintillation and very high in dispersion (colored light return).

Love to hear your comments.

It was archived because it was an old thread not locked because of the content.

Of course they have dispersion that type were originally designed for to add dispersion to low dispersion material.
In diamond they just look busy.

Are some "ideal" cut rounds somewhat directional yes they are.
I like em that way :}

On the other hand my very favorite cut the asscher is awesome when it is tilted or viewed off axis.
Face up patters combined with awesome off axis fire == yummy yummy!!

That these cuts score high on B-scope is no surprise as it uses direct lighting and small virtual facets do much better in direct light.
Put them in soft low lighting and they will fall flat.

Also another common misconception is that the "Ideal" RB is the best performer in all lighting that is not true.
A specialty cut that is tuned for that lighting will win every time.
What the "Ideal" RB has is a fairly well balanced mix of features allowing it to look good across a wide range of lighting.

Karl,

I get this from looking at several finely cut old European's in my inventory. To me, a well cut OE and an Excalibur have more character than an ideal RBC. Now a term like "character" is difficult to define amid all the technical terms currently used to describe diamond cut. Let me just say that there is more to aesthetics than total light return.

You agree with me about the cut's dispersion, off-axis refraction and TLR, would you also agree that your comment that the cut (Excalibur, Passion Flower) should not be used for diamonds, was, perhaps just a little bit strong.

I will check your assertion about "soft light."

When you mention Aasher's do you mean the original or the newer version?

Best,

What you call character I call personality and it is a personal preference rather than a technical issue.
I love OEC''s as well, more is impossible to define we can agree that some love the personality of OEC''s more than Ideal RB''s and some the reverse.
Lighting plays a huge part also.

From a purely technical standpoint my comment back then I still feel is correct.
But I am far more tolerant of different cuts now than then and would likely be less harsh in my opinion today.

Between the old and new style asschers both have their strengths and weaknesses and I love them both.
Both styles can be very beautiful.

Date: 11/24/2008 10:02:27 AM
Author:Richard W. Wise
Brilliance in a diamond is one of the two major characteristics that makes a diamond beautiful. The other dispersion, the break up of light into its constituent rainbow parts.
I second what Strm wrote:

Author:Strm

Face up patters combined with awesome off axis fire == yummy yummy!!
...and vote to add contrast (patterns) to "the two major characteristics that makes a diamond beautiful".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP