shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum e-ring with YG bands-trying again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am a newbie here and am having a great time browsing the boards and trying to absorb some of your knowledge. I have a bad news/good news situation: the bad news is that I lost my e-ring; the good news is that it was insured and I get to replace it and upgrade.

My first question relates to mixing metals. I am strongly attached to my wedding band which is 18k yellow gold. It''s simple, pretty narrow and a little higher on top of my finger where there is a small notch for the e-ring to sit against. I wear both YG, white and platinum and my watch, which I wear every day on that hand, is YG. I prefer somewhat classic styles but with some pizzazz and am thinking of a round stone in the 2.5-3.5 range (I haven''t yet looked at them in person). What do you all think about setting the big stone in platinum, maybe with some shared prong round stones on either side (sort of Tiffany like) and then having a copy made of my wedding band so that I wear the two YG bands with the plat engagement ring in between? I was thinking that I would have to choose one stone or the other but then I saw a beautiful band with three rows (maybe Michael B?)-two of YG with yellow diamonds with a platinum row in between.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
26.gif

Hi Gaylet,

The thread you started yesterday is still around...it's best to only start one thread on each topic. You might want to have admin add responses here. Here is what I wrote yesterday:

1. Whiteflash and Good Old Gold are my go to vendors for rounds. They are awesome and have fabulous upgrade policies. If you buy an ideal cut stone from one of them you don't really need to go see it in person IMO. They also have return policies, but a gorgeous round is really a gorgeous round, so it's unlikely you need to go there (but I highly recommend it if you have the time and the money because it's fun!).

2. I would see as MANY settings as you possibly can, on your hand, decide what style you like, then we can all help recommend some custom designers. It really depends on what style you want because certain designers really excel in certain areas. You also need to decide if you want a DESIGNER or a benchman. A benchman will execute a design you have. A designer wants to design the ring themselves. I designed my own ring and it was a fun process. But it does take patience and good communication. But even a newbie can do it with the help of an experienced benchman.

3. It's not a great idea to mix metals long term because of the different densities of the rings. If you are ok with one of them getting worn down over a long period of time though, then it's not the end of the world.

And just FYI: Ladyluvsluxury hasn't posted in over a year...so it's unlikely she will respond.

WELCOME!

Thanks for the info. I didn''t consider that the different metals might wear differently but it makes perfect sense.

Sorry about the duplicate posts. When I wrote my first post I checked "track this topic" but I haven''t gotten any notices that I had replies and I am not sure how to find it! I will browse around some and, hopefully, get the hang of this.

Date: 11/30/2008 9:37:22 PM
Author: Gayletmom
Thanks for the info. I didn't consider that the different metals might wear differently but it makes perfect sense.

Sorry about the duplicate posts. When I wrote my first post I checked 'track this topic' but I haven't gotten any notices that I had replies and I am not sure how to find it! I will browse around some and, hopefully, get the hang of this.

No worries! It just gets hard when people think they responded to a thread, but it was a different one, etc. The tracking doesn't seem to be working well lately for some reason. The easiest way I think to find your threads if it's buried is to go to your profile and then hit "track content" then "your posts". Then you can click through to your thread.

Thanks for the tip, that should help out a bit.

I am thinking about your comment re White Flash and Good Old Gold and an ability to buy without actually traveling to them. I''m still in the very formative stages but am wondering whether I get an ideal cut or perhaps something slightly under ideal which might allow me to size up a little. I''m just learning about proportions, etc. but am guessing that the people at either of those shops could give me their opinion on the best cuts/light reflectors/etc in a size and color range. What do you think? On the other hand, I''m in Houston a couple of times a year so that''s pretty easy.

Date: 11/30/2008 10:30:35 PM
Author: Gayletmom
Thanks for the tip, that should help out a bit.

I am thinking about your comment re White Flash and Good Old Gold and an ability to buy without actually traveling to them. I''m still in the very formative stages but am wondering whether I get an ideal cut or perhaps something slightly under ideal which might allow me to size up a little. I''m just learning about proportions, etc. but am guessing that the people at either of those shops could give me their opinion on the best cuts/light reflectors/etc in a size and color range. What do you think? On the other hand, I''m in Houston a couple of times a year so that''s pretty easy.

Yes, they will be 100% honest with you about how stones perform. They are really great vendors. And every diamond from them has a return/inspection period, so you can always have it sent to check it out too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP