shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emooretc

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone. I have put down a deposit on a diamond at WhiteFlash. Here are the specs:

0.841cts
AGS0
E
SI1
HCA: 1
Depth: 61.6
Table: 55.7
Crown: 34.6
Pavilion: 40.7

Now, I am starting to consider a different stone:

1.14cts
GIA
J
SI1
HCA: 1.7
Depth: 59.5
Table: 61
Crown: 33
Pavilion: 41
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

They are about the same price. I obviously like the cut/color of the ACA better, but I am wondering what people think. The second stone is much bigger, and still has a very good HCA score.

Thoughts?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2008 3:32:28 PM
Author:emooretc
Hey everyone. I have put down a deposit on a diamond at WhiteFlash. Here are the specs:

0.841cts
AGS0
E
SI1

1.14cts
GIA
J
SI1

They are about the same price. I obviously like the cut/color of the ACA better, but I am wondering what people think. The second stone is much bigger, and still has a very good HCA score.

Thoughts?
The first has definitely a top notch cut looking at the info provided and is colourless, but it depends on what you want, if you would rather just have a nicely cut stone which is larger then that is fine. Do you have an Idealscope image to post for the second stone in particular or any other info on it please? Diameter and girdle measurement, lower halves etc?

Maybe you could compromise and see if there is something in the F to H range for colour in between E and J which is a bit larger than the first diamond?

emooretc

Rough_Rock
Oh, additional question. Has anyone seen the Amphora Halo setting from WhiteFlash?

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Amphora-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1380.htm

I am speaking with someone there that says it is brand new, so they don''t have any additional pictures of it. I really like it, but its hard to tell from the pictures on the website.

Thanks!

emooretc

Rough_Rock
Loreli,

Thanks for the quick reply. This is all of the information I have:

. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round
. Carat: 1.14
. Depth %: 59.5
. Table %: 61
. Crown Angle: 33
. Crown %: 12.5
. Star : 55
. Pavilion Angle: 41
. Pavilion %: 43.5
. Lower Girdle %: 80
. Girdle: Very Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 6.80-6.82X4.05
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: None

They don''t have the cert or any images/idealscope, on the site for the second diamond. I have requested this information.

Whiteflash has a limited selection between 0.84ct and 1-1.1ct that are in my price range. They have another 1 or 2 with better color, but the HCA scores are pretty bad.

This search has been so hard:) I am so torn between size and quality. I wish I didn''t have to choose:)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2008 3:47:37 PM
Author: emooretc
Loreli,

Thanks for the quick reply. This is all of the information I have:

. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round
. Carat: 1.14
. Depth %: 59.5
. Table %: 61
. Crown Angle: 33
. Crown %: 12.5
. Pavilion Angle: 41
. Pavilion %: 43.5
. Girdle: Very Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 6.80-6.82X4.05
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: None

They don''t have the cert or any images/idealscope, on the site for the second diamond. I have requested this information.

Whiteflash has a limited selection between 0.84ct and 1-1.1ct that are in my price range. They have another 1 or 2 with better color, but the HCA scores are pretty bad.

This search has been so hard:) I am so torn between size and quality. I wish I didn''t have to choose:)
You are welcome! I do understand how you feel, personally I would go for a well cut larger stone rather than a superideal as size is very important to me, but it depends on which way you are leaning. Certainly you could find a finely cut stone which might suit you rather than a top make cut, it might just take a little more work to sift through to find the best ones. Post the info when you get it for this diamond, meanwhile check that the very thin part of the girdle is ok - sometimes the very thin part can be in the microns and not an issue in any way, but best to check. Also with the other diamonds you mentioned with the poor HCA scores, do you have the links for the diamonds for us to look at? Were there Idealscope images provided for any of them?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

0.841cts
AGS0
E
SI1

1.14cts
GIA
J
SI1

Thoughts?
It's an apple vs an orange. Different sizes (obviously). Different colors. Different makes.

In general terms the first will have more fire/rainbow colors in its balance of performance qualities. The second will have great brightness and a spreadier appearance.

By the basic numbers both could have AGS Ideal light performance, if that is of value to you. The first is a bonafide AGS Ideal. The second is GIA-graded so there is no way to know if its at that level of performance for certain.

If you are a fan of cut precision (hearts & arrows...optical symmetry...) the first is among the most precisely cut brands of H&A diamonds in the world. There is no way to know about the second without more info/photos.

The cut geek in me speaks first but I would also quickly point out that you're comparing an E to a J, and different sizes. These diamonds are worlds apart in several ways.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2008 3:56:38 PM
Author: John Pollard

0.841cts
AGS0
E
SI1

1.14cts
GIA
J
SI1

Thoughts?
It''s an apple vs an orange. Different sizes (obviously). Different colors. Different makes.

In general terms the first will have more fire/rainbow colors in its balance of performance qualities. The second will have great brightness and a spreadier appearance.

By the basic numbers both could have AGS Ideal light performance, if that is of value to you. The first is a bonafide AGS Ideal. The second is GIA-graded so there is no way to know if its at that level of performance for certain.

If you are a fan of cut precision (hearts & arrows...optical symmetry...) the first is among the most precisely cut brands of H&A diamonds in the world. There is no way to know about the second without more info/photos.

The cut geek in me speaks first but I would also quickly point out that you''re comparing an E to a J, and different sizes. These diamonds are worlds apart in several ways.
1.gif
I wish I could '' splain stuff like you Sir!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

emooretc

Rough_Rock
Thanks John and Lorelei,

I know what you are saying. I think my problem is that I haven''t seen enough variance of diamonds in person to appreciate the difference in cut between those 2 diamonds. I agree about it being J vs. E.

What about this one. Again I know its not an ACA:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-680233.htm#

Report: GIA
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 1.00
. Depth %: 62.8
. Table %: 56
. Crown Angle: 37
. Crown %: 16.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40
. Pavilion %: 42
. Girdle: Medium to Slightly thick
. Measurements: 6.31-6.33X3.97
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: Medium Blue

HCA: 0.8

I think the medium blue is holding this one back some, but I actually like the look of a little blue fluorescence.

This one is a little bit more expensive, but I could probably stretch my budget to get there, and it gets to the 1ct mark.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an FIC, it will look less spready than a normal ideal cut but more dispersion.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2008 4:10:39 PM
Thanks John and Lorelei,

I know what you are saying. I think my problem is that I haven't seen enough variance of diamonds in person to appreciate the difference in cut between those 2 diamonds. I agree about it being J vs. E.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-680233.htm#

I think the medium blue is holding this one back some, but I actually like the look of a little blue fluorescence.

This one is a little bit more expensive, but I could probably stretch my budget to get there, and it gets to the 1ct mark.
I am not a big fan of the shallow PA. Though it could have a unique and cool look, it would never qualify for AGS Ideal performance, if that matters to you. Your other consideration, the 0.841, is a true H&A and this one is not even close to that ballpark - again if that matters.

As for ct weight, you should focus on spread. In fact, compare the spread of the 0.841 from above to this 1ct @ 6.32mm and you'll likely find only a minute difference (more weight in the crown here).

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2008 3:59:47 PM
Author: Lorelei
I wish I could '' splain stuff like you Sir!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Oh m''lady is too kind... but we all know that
2.gif

And we all have our own way of ''splaining - which makes the world go round.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2008 4:10:39 PM
Thanks John and Lorelei,

I know what you are saying. I think my problem is that I haven't seen enough variance of diamonds in person to appreciate the difference in cut between those 2 diamonds. I agree about it being J vs. E.

You are too kind gentle Sir!
35.gif

emooretc, this is what we call a fiery ideal cut, some folk seek these types of diamonds out. The steeper crown angle along with the correct pav angle can aid the show of fire if the lighting is right, the pav angle is shallow as John says in this case though. However there are trade offs, this diamond is falling a bit short of the 6.5mm spread of a 1 carat stone, however it might be an option for you if you like the diamond, ask for an Idealscope image as that will tell us more.

And John makes an excellent point, you might get more ' weight' with the diamond above, but compare it to the ACA and you won't necessarily see more ' size'.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Would you be comfortable to post your max budget for your stone alone? Then people can chime in with suggestions, the best mix of size, cut and colour? Might give you options you wouldn''t have thought of?

emooretc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help everyone.

I decided to go with my original idea.

I purchased the 0.841 ACA and the WhiteFlash Halo Prong setting.

I decided I could always get a bigger stone later when I can afford a bigger one, but I did not want to skimp on cut quality.

Thank you all for your help. I will upload pictures as soon as fedex comes:)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 9:22:38 AM
Thanks for your help everyone.

I decided to go with my original idea.

I purchased the 0.841 ACA and the WhiteFlash Halo Prong setting.

I decided I could always get a bigger stone later when I can afford a bigger one, but I did not want to skimp on cut quality.

Thank you all for your help. I will upload pictures as soon as fedex comes:)
CONGRATS!!! I will be looking forward to the pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results