shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls comment on this diamond from GOG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,

I just put this diamond on hold.
emsmile.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4692

Tried to Live Chat with Jon but I think it's still too early. By the time, he's awake, most probably I'm asleep
emsmilep.gif

I know Jon's diamonds are spectacular since I purchased one from him before way back in 2004. This new one will go into RHR.

All comments are welcome but I've 3 qns that I hope someone can answer.

1. Why are there podka dots on the Hearts pic?

2. Why does the Arrows pic look like they are floating? The other floating one I saw is the 1.58 L VVS2 which has a large table. This 0.65ct doesn't have a large table.

3. I suppose the 2 white spots in Microscopic 2 are crystals. I know crystals are ok generally. But are there any crystals detrimental to a diamond? I'm wondering if a crystal is of very low MOH (very soft) then is it as good as having a "cavity"?

Please help! Many thanks in advance.
emsmile.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 10:29:58 AM
Author:Ashleigh
Hi ladiees,

emsmile.gif

Tried to Live Chat with Jon but I think it's still too early. By the time, he's awake, most probably I'm asleep
emsmilep.gif

I know Jon's diamonds are spectacular since I purchased one from him before way back in 2004. This new one will go into RHR.

All comments are welcome but I've 2 qns that I hope someone can answer.

2. Why does the Arrows pic look like they are floating? The other floating one I saw is the 1.58 L VVS2 which has a large table. This 0.65ct doesn't have a large table.

3. I suppose the 2 white spots in Microscopic 2 are crystals. I know crystals are ok generally. But are there any crystals detrimental to a diamond? I'm wondering if a crystal is of very low MOH (very soft) then is it as good as having a 'cavity'?

emsmile.gif
Hi Ashleigh,

The dots on the great arrows image look to be inclusions which are reflecting, check with GOG. I very much doubt if they would be visible to the eye but check to be sure. Also I don't think crystals should be any type of durability issue, especially in VS2, I don't think you need to worry - lovely diamond!

Scot

Rough_Rock
I agree. You will probably never see the inclusions with the naked eye. Especially once the stone is set. This looks like a beautiful stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 10:46:02 AM
Author: Scot
I agree. You will probably never see the inclusions with the naked eye. Especially once the stone is set. This looks like a beautiful stone.
Hi Scot and welcome to Pricescope! Good to have you on board
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 10:32:19 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Ashleigh,

The dots on the great arrows image look to be inclusions which are reflecting, check with GOG. I very much doubt if they would be visible to the eye but check to be sure. Also I don''t think crystals should be any type of durability issue, especially in VS2, I don''t think you need to worry - lovely diamond!
Ditto!

And I don''t really see what you mean about the arrow pic. All the numbers are great, this is a very well cut stone!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lorelei, Scot and Ellen, thanks for the feedback.
emsmile.gif

Ellen, I think Lorelei meant to say Hearts pic.
emsmile.gif

So those inclusions are either crystals or clouds, is it? What''s a cloud? A group of pinpoints? And a pinpoint is just inclusion (not diamond material I suppose?)

Confusing!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 11:07:53 AM
Author: Ashleigh
emsmile.gif

emsmile.gif

So those inclusions are either crystals or clouds, is it? What's a cloud? A group of pinpoints? And a pinpoint is just inclusion (not diamond material I suppose?)

Confusing!
BLAST!!! So I did!!! Thanks Ashleigh! As to what the inclusions actually are, you would need to ask Jon.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
emsmile.gif

emsmile.gif

So those inclusions are either crystals or clouds, is it? What''s a cloud? A group of pinpoints? And a pinpoint is just inclusion (not diamond material I suppose?)

Confusing!
Sorry for the confusion. I was addressing your post where you said the arrow pic looked like it was floating, etc.

I''m not sure what the inclusions are, the report''s not coming up for me. But at VS2, there''s almost undoubtedly nothing to worry about. Best to email Jon and ask him.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 11:20:01 AM
Author: Ellen

emsmile.gif

emsmile.gif

Confusing!

Sorry for the confusion. I was addressing your post where you said the arrow pic looked like it was floating, etc.

I''m not sure what the inclusions are, the report''s not coming up for me. But at VS2, there''s almost undoubtedly nothing to worry about. Best to email Jon and ask him.
''Tay!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
dots in heart pics are reflections of the 2 crystals.
They wont show up face up.
It does have painted upper girdles just over the line of what I prefer(personal preference) but not enough to effect the cut grades.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ashleigh,

You''re answered in email and here so depending on what you see first.
1.gif

Date: 12/4/2008 10:29:58 AM
Author:Ashleigh
Hi ladies,

emsmile.gif

Tried to Live Chat with Jon but I think it''s still too early. By the time, he''s awake, most probably I''m asleep
emsmilep.gif
Yea I know we''re about 12 hours difference.

That is a reflection of the 2 crystals in the diamond. Whenever photography is taken of a diamond through the pavilion (or even when it is viewed under just about any kind of magnification) it is very possible and likely to see multiple reflections of whatever inclusions there are in the diamond. Other than some simple contrast editing our Hearts and Arrows imagery is unedited in the sense that we try to show you as closely as possible what it is we are actually seeing through that scope.

2. Why does the Arrows pic look like they are floating? The other floating one I saw is the 1.58 L VVS2 which has a large table. This 0.65ct doesn''t have a large table.
That is because we took that picture while we were floating on a boat.
37.gif
41.gif
Not sure what you mean by floating. I looked at the arrows image of the 1.58ct and the arrows pic shows dark arrows but that is because of the crown/pavilion combination. This .65ct doesn''t have dark arrows like that so I''m not sure exactly what you''re referring to.
33.gif

3. I suppose the 2 white spots in Microscopic 2 are crystals. I know crystals are ok generally. But are there any crystals detrimental to a diamond? I''m wondering if a crystal is of very low MOH (very soft) then is it as good as having a ''cavity''?

emsmile.gif
When crystalls penetrate the surface it can be of concern but those would be called a different kind of inclusion called a knot (or naat if memory serves me right). These crystals are within so no probs.
emthup.gif
Think of it as if you''re getting 3 crystals for the price of 1.
37.gif
41.gif

Kindest regards,

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 2:13:22 PM
Author: strmrdr
It does have painted upper girdles just over the line of what I prefer(personal preference) but not enough to effect the cut grades.
Hi Strmrdr,
Thanks for assuring me that the painted upper girdles will not affect the cut grades.
emsmile.gif
However, I''m more concerned abt the actual performance of the diamond. As I already have a sparkly one from GOG, I''ve very high expectations of this one. Any idea if the slightly upper painted girdles will affect its performance? I''ve already emailed Jon for a copy of the brilliantscope too.
emsmile.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 8:53:32 PM

Hi Strmrdr,

Thanks for assuring me that the painted upper girdles will not affect the cut grades.
emsmile.gif
However, I''m more concerned abt the actual performance of the diamond. As I already have a sparkly one from GOG, I''ve very high expectations of this one. Any idea if the slightly upper painted girdles will affect its performance? I''ve already emailed Jon for a copy of the brilliantscope too.
emsmile.gif
Talk it over with Jon my thought is it might not be enough to cause a large difference.
It might have a different personality from your current one if it isn''t painted.
Would be interesting if Jon has a similar size diamond to shoot a vid.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 9:00:40 PM

Hi Strmrdr,

emsmile.gif
emsmile.gif
Talk it over with Jon my thought is it might not be enough to cause a large difference.
It might have a different personality from your current one if it isn''t painted.
Hi Strmrdr, thanks for the reply. I''ll definitely ask Jon. I''m not sure if my previous one is painted as in 2004 no one in PS, from the FEW posts I read, talks abt painted girdles yet.

I''d like to see a vid too but 0.65ct is too small to ask for a vid.
emsmile.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ashleigh,
35.gif

Hi Strmrdr,
emsmile.gif
As an FYI if upper or lower half facets are painted or dug out to the most conservative elements of either GIA or AGS''s system (and they both differ) we reject the diamond from our inventory or it will be noted in our review of it if we decide to feature it online. The 2 degree crown painting is hardly an issue.

emsmile.gif
No tangible effect. As I gained the lab equipment to accurately measure painting and digging and observe its effects on diamond light performance I have in essence developed my own thresholds as to what I will and will not purchase and stock. We take it to another level in fact as there are diamonds (including Hearts & Arrows diamonds) that have neither painting or digging yet have upper half angles that are too steep and cause the same optical effects is digging that we have come across. Rest assured those are weeded out as well.
2.gif

Kind regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/4/2008 9:30:40 PM

Date: 12/4/2008 9:00:40 PM

Hi Strmrdr,

emsmile.gif
However, I'm more concerned abt the actual performance of the diamond. As I already have a sparkly one from GOG, I've very high expectations of this one. Any idea if the slightly upper painted girdles will affect its performance? I've already emailed Jon for a copy of the brilliantscope too.
emsmile.gif
It might have a different personality from your current one if it isn't painted.
Hi Strmrdr, thanks for the reply. I'll definitely ask Jon. I'm not sure if my previous one is painted as in 2004 no one in PS, from the FEW posts I read, talks abt painted girdles yet.

I'd like to see a vid too but 0.65ct is too small to ask for a vid.
emsmile.gif
Say's who?

Strmy ... If I can locate a diamond with 4 degrees painting I'd be happy to shoot a clip demonstrating how optics deterioriate as painting increases. Off the cuff I know I have a stock sample of 7 degrees crown painting in a picture perfect H&A. From 0 degrees to 2 the difference is hardly distinguishable though. Ashleigh, tell me what I can do to help and I am here for your service. Nighty night now.

Peace,

Darthkim

Rough_Rock
This diamond looks great!

BTW, i''m curious, the GIA report shows it has an inscription on the side saying H&A.

Is GIA making that statement or is it the house that requested the grading who asked for that to be inscribed?

I think I''ve only seen it say H&A on branded stones, but its not clear what kind it is (if it is even branded)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/5/2008 11:21:48 AM
Author: Darthkim
This diamond looks great!

BTW, i'm curious, the GIA report shows it has an inscription on the side saying H&A.

Is GIA making that statement or is it the house that requested the grading who asked for that to be inscribed?

I think I've only seen it say H&A on branded stones, but its not clear what kind it is (if it is even branded)
GIA will incribe whatever the submitter asks. You could have "D-Flawless" inscribed, or "Charlie The Unicorn."
1.gif

Sometimes you can find "H&A" on diamonds that are not. Rhino is involved here so I am sure it's bonafide, but good question.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/5/2008 12:36:37 AM
Author: Rhino

Say''s who?

Strmy ... If I can locate a diamond with 4 degrees painting I''d be happy to shoot a clip demonstrating how optics deterioriate as painting increases. Off the cuff I know I have a stock sample of 7 degrees crown painting in a picture perfect H&A. From 0 degrees to 2 the difference is hardly distinguishable though. Ashleigh, tell me what I can do to help and I am here for your service. Nighty night now.

Peace,
You''re talking about one config tho Rhino? 4 degrees will be different in a steep RB vs a shallow vs a Tolk. The steep will often look better. Also depends on table & lower halves.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Correctamundo compadre.
emthup.gif
I''m talking about the typical H&A kind of goodies we''re accustomed to seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results