shape
carat
color
clarity

Premade or preset rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissRedd

Rough_Rock
Just curious about something??? When you purchase a ring that is already put together rather than picking out your mounting and then choosing the diamond...

What kind of diamond is usually set in those rings?

A gal at work saw my diamond that I got on Oct 12 which is the .73 carat, Color of I, Clarity of I1, VG cut. She lost her wedding ring set and they purchased another set (already put together) this summer. Her diamond is a .50 carat, rectangle cut (don''''t know the official name of that cut), but it looks more yellow and doesn''''t really sparkle. Its very flat and dull looking. Mine looks more white/clear and sparkles. She said size was more important to her than the quality. I was just wondering if there is a standard grade of diamond that they put in the rings that are already put together.

I remember looking at some of those before we found a few stores where you could buy the mounting separate from the diamond.

I believe there are all kinds of grades of diamonds that can be purchased set or unset. If you go to the high end places like Tiffany the rings are all preset, but the diamonds are gorgeous. There are also lots of places that sell much lower color and clarity stones with poor cut grades. Perhaps your friend''s ring was an emerald cut? They don''t sparkle the same way a round brilliant would. I think it would be difficult to make a broad generalization on the quality of set diamonds.

Also, I think you''ll get more respones in Rocky Talky. This is the Show Me the Ring section. :)

There is no standard. It depends on the vendor and the individual ring.

For example:

This James Allen ring says the center stone is a minimum G SI1 http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-rings/three-stone-platinum-engagement-rings.html

This James Allen ring says the center stone is a minimum F-G VS2-SI1 http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-settings/ring/item_60-3790.asp

This Zales ring says I SI2 http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3033948

And this Zales ring says I-J I1 http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3717912

There is no standard, totally depends on the store. Many chains hope that people do not do their research and just walk in looking to buy a diamond with no clue about cut, clarity, or color - only care about size and are clueless about what a diamond should cost.

Tiffany's will not sell a stone under a VS rating or loose stones, so having it "pre-set" so to speak isn't necessarily a bad thing. Tif's mark up is ridiculous though - but you will for sure get a beautiful diamond.

Thank you for the info. I''m sorry I posted here. I will pay more attention to the different headings. Argh!

I am glad you posted that jewelers do give you the stats on the diamonds, because we weren''t told any stats on any of the diamonds that were already set in a ring. Thats why I didn''t think they did that. I assumed then that those diamonds probably were not certified either.

We were only told stats when we started looking at the stone and mounting separately. Interesting. I was also going to ask if those diamonds were GIA certified, but it looks as though they are or can be.

Thanks again!

Any place that tries to sell you a diamond without openly disclosing the rating is a yucky place to buy a diamond.

Yep, should be moved to Rocky Talk. That said, I''ve seen some very highly graded/quality pre-set stones at Ben Bridge. They''re expensive, though.

Thank you for moving my post.
26.gif

I guess since none of the places we went to and tried rings on that were already put together did they even offer the information about the diamond. i guess i was thinking that you would just buy it not knowing the specs of the diamond. This is good go know. I guess if you don''t ask they probably don''t tell. They just said try this one or this one or this one. Then we''d leave. I now know that I''d ask.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP