shape
carat
color
clarity

PriceScope''s price search tool: what does "AGS0 checkbox" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dww777

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m a little confused about what the checkbox that says "AGS0" actually filters out. Upon checking it, I can see that the depth and table ranges are narrowed. But it also seems to filter out many stones that don''t have Ex/Ex polish/Symmetry. Yet, there are stones such as this one that is also filtered out:

F, VS2, 1.23ct
Table: 57%
Depth: 60.7
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Polish/Symmetry: Ex/Ex
Cut: Ex

DOes anyone know why this one was filtered out by the AGS0 checkbox?

Thank yoU!

only gives you ideal cut, symmetry, and polish

Date: 9/15/2008 5:46:23 PM
Author:dww777
Hi,

I''m a little confused about what the checkbox that says ''AGS0'' actually filters out. Upon checking it, I can see that the depth and table ranges are narrowed. But it also seems to filter out many stones that don''t have Ex/Ex polish/Symmetry. Yet, there are stones such as this one that is also filtered out:

F, VS2, 1.23ct
Table: 57%
Depth: 60.7
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Polish/Symmetry: Ex/Ex
Cut: Ex

DOes anyone know why this one was filtered out by the AGS0 checkbox?

Thank yoU!
Haven''t used it but my guess woudl be that it means it receiver an AGS 0 grade for light return...the highest rating.

Do you check include or exclude? AGS0 means ideal cut, ideal symmetry and ideal polish.

I think that narrows it down to what AGS defines as their ideal cut dimension. Not necessary the best cut on The HCA though.

That''s what I thought too (AGS0 = Ideal Cut, Polish, Symm). But Some of the stones returned when the AGS0 checkbox is checked have only "good" or "VG" polish or symmetry... Hence the confusion.

Unless this has been revised over the many years, per Leonid, I believe...

It specifies that the vendor/wholesaler/etc, puts comments in a "blank" field that can have any of several types of text, that says: AGS0. Also, this has, and I'll bet...continues to be based on the old parametric standards for AGS0.

So it is not, if I'm correct, a very useful box to check.

If I am wrong, it would be good to know.

A better bet, to achieve the intended result, is to look only or particularly for AGS certification...checking that box...and then looking for the zero on the cert.

edited to add...iit IS possible this functionality has been updated, but unless Andrey says it has, I doubt it. See Leonid's response to me in this thread...

bump

it would be helpful to confirm for me, too!

Date: 9/15/2008 7:02:40 PM
Author: Regular Guy

It specifies that the vendor/wholesaler/etc, puts comments in a ''blank'' field that can have any of several types of text, that says: AGS0. Also, this has, and I''ll bet...continues to be based on the old parametric standards for AGS0.

So it is not, if I''m correct, a very useful box to check.

A better bet, to achieve the intended result, is to look only or particularly for AGS certification...checking that box...and then looking for the zero on the cert.

edited to add...iit IS possible this functionality has been updated, but unless Andrey says it has, I doubt it. See Leonid''s response to me in this thread...

Hi Ira,

At this time no changes have been made to the system Leonid had setup, but I am currently working on a new system which i hope to have up in the near future.

Once it is complete, I will be happy to update everyone and you with the details.

Andrey

Date: 12/1/2008 10:04:38 PM
Author: PS Admin

Date: 9/15/2008 7:02:40 PM
Author: Regular Guy

It specifies that the vendor/wholesaler/etc, puts comments in a ''blank'' field that can have any of several types of text, that says: AGS0. Also, this has, and I''ll bet...continues to be based on the old parametric standards for AGS0.

So it is not, if I''m correct, a very useful box to check.

edited to add...iit IS possible this functionality has been updated, but unless Andrey says it has, I doubt it. See Leonid''s response to me in this thread...

Hi Ira,

At this time no changes have been made to the system Leonid had setup, but I am currently working on a new system which i hope to have up in the near future.

Once it is complete, I will be happy to update everyone and you with the details.

Andrey
Andrey,

Many thanks. So, just to say again what I understand that means...first:

With AGS0 box checked, usually near the H&A box...what was reported before in 7/04, is:

"When one searches for diamonds with AGS0 option on, only diamonds with AGS0 report or with AGS0 or Sarin0 in the comments should come up...."

so...perhaps similar to an inscription on a diamond...or maybe more definitive...when a text field is populated with the term "AGS0" describing the diamond...that then becomes a "hit" for this field. No other validation is done or intended.

What''s unclear to me is what''s related. In other words, second:

does this reference to AGS0 tend to refer to the current system...in the way that Garry''s has mapped it on to HCA...or...I''m guessing that the pattern, for industry driven reasons...is for the old formulas to drive the text. But...I don''t know that, and would like to. Since I understand main line and internet jewelers use this data daily, they can speak to it, too. Finally, third...

On the search by cut database, fifth column over from the left...not asked before...where for each diamond a report on the AGS number is associated with the diamond...again...I''m guessing that a calculation is being made, tied to the 3 year old proportion based formula.

---------

These systems have two main resources embedded...a) the HCA in the case of the search by cut database has always worked the same basic way, and that''s how it''s most known...and b) for those who learn, quickly or not, to figure it out...when certificates are visible on vendor sites, that data can otherwise be usefully harvested, when not pre-analyzed, as done for you on the search by cut. Then lastly, more obliquely, the price stats database can continue to be associated with the parametric system published here, associated to Dave Atlas. Still, as you might infer from this query, in addition to gathering information, it does seem important to be available to dispel mis-information...which...as you can see...can be understandably inferred by the casual reader here. Thanks for having been responsive. With 4000 plus readers here at a shot...there''s no doubt that Pricescope serves many, and those that it serves, value it a lot. So, again, thanks for your efforts in making this the best place that it can be.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP