shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Blue Nile Signature Ideal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lostNinformation

Rough_Rock
I am very new to this form but i see there is a ton of knowledgeable people on here. I am having difficulty deciding on a princess cut diamond. The original idea was to purchase from Blue Nile but after reading through the form i see that there are many other options. I have a very basic understanding of diamonds. i would like to know if there is a difference between blue nile signature ideal cut and white flash ACA princess. I looked at Jared''s Peerless diamond the other day and i noticed the Peerless sparkled more when compared to a "regular" diamond that had higher clarity and color. Is this the type of difference i would see when comparing signature ideal to a ideal or very good cut?

Also i noticed the price of the BN diamond posted below seems to be very low compared to their other diamonds of similar qualities. The only difference i see it that the depth and table are slightly higher than other BN signature ideal cuts. Does that make a big difference? Is the diamond priced so low for a reason?

Also, everywhere i look there seems to be a big jump in price and carats. At BN there have a lot of .7 carat but not too much in between .7 and 1 carat. Same with white flash. Is that typical or am i missing something?

Blue Nile

Price per carat: $3,884
Depth %: 71.0%
Table %: 72%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.30 x 5.07 x 3.60 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.05

White Flash
Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above Princess
. Carat: 0.720
. Depth %: 73.5
. Table %: 69.2
. Crown Angle: 40.7
. Crown %: 11.2
. Pavilion Angle: 40.2
. Pavilion %: 59.8
. Girdle: Thin
. Measurements: 4.93-4.90X3.60
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-e-color-vs1-clarity_LD01429471?filter_id=0

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-114409.htm

I asked a lot of questions and i hope i made some sort of sense. Maybe i didn''t either way i appreciate any help anyone can give!
9.gif

Welcome!

The best way to buy a Princess or any fancy shape, is to work with a vendor such as Whiteflash who have in house diamonds and all the cut info available so you can make the best choice. You can't tell much by numbers with these shapes, especially just depth and table for example, detailed photos are essential and other images such as ASET are invaluable. To the best of my knowledge, BN do not offer such services and there could be various reasons why the BN diamond is cheaper, so I would consider sticking with WF or any of the other trusted Pricescope vendors who can provide the necessary info and help you every step of the way with your purchase.

The WF diamond you linked is a lovely stone, did you want VVS clarity particularly? You could drop to VS or even a verified eyeclean SI clarity but this is of course a personal preference!

The BN stone is cheaper mainly because of its l/w ratio, only 1.05, borderline case for a square princess, just within the acceptable limit.

I would prefer the WF ACA too.

Date: 11/26/2008 10:49:25 AM
Author:lostNinformation

Also, everywhere i look there seems to be a big jump in price and carats. At BN there have a lot of .7 carat but not too much in between .7 and 1 carat. Same with white flash. Is that typical or am i missing something?
I am not allowed to comment on your other questions (forum-rules), but I can tackle this one.

In rounds, already, you will find less supply of 0.80''s and 0.90''s. That is because cutting for weight instead of for beauty can bring you above the magic 1ct-mark, where prices take a huge jump. In that way, either cutters themselves will prefer to cut a lower quality with more weight out of this rough stone, or if they go for quality-only, another cutter going for weight will outbid them when buying the rough. The result is the same: less availability of stones in these size-ranges.

In princess-cuts, the effect is even stronger. Cutters have much more leeway to hide weight in a princess-cut (compared to in a round). So the lack of availability in 0.80''s and 0.90''s is even more apparent.

Live long,

Date: 11/26/2008 10:56:00 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

The best way to buy a Princess or any fancy shape, is to work with a vendor such as Whiteflash who have in house diamonds and all the cut info available so you can make the best choice. You can''t tell much by numbers with these shapes, especially just depth and table for example, detailed photos are essential and other images such as ASET are invaluable. To the best of my knowledge, BN do not offer such services and there could be various reasons why the BN diamond is cheaper, so I would consider sticking with WF or any of the other trusted Pricescope vendors who can provide the necessary info and help you every step of the way with your purchase.

The WF diamond you linked is a lovely stone, did you want VVS clarity particularly? You could drop to VS or even a verified eyeclean SI clarity but this is of course a personal preference!

Thanks for the info! I''m glad to hear whiteflash is a good vendor to choose. No i don''t need the VVS clarity at all. Your right it makes sense to find a slightly lower clarity. The only problem is that while it does reduce the price, it doesn''t reduce it enough for me to go for a bigger diamond since WF doesn''t offer anything between .7 and 1.

Date: 11/26/2008 11:47:21 AM
Author: lostNinformation

Date: 11/26/2008 10:56:00 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

The best way to buy a Princess or any fancy shape, is to work with a vendor such as Whiteflash who have in house diamonds and all the cut info available so you can make the best choice. You can't tell much by numbers with these shapes, especially just depth and table for example, detailed photos are essential and other images such as ASET are invaluable. To the best of my knowledge, BN do not offer such services and there could be various reasons why the BN diamond is cheaper, so I would consider sticking with WF or any of the other trusted Pricescope vendors who can provide the necessary info and help you every step of the way with your purchase.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear whiteflash is a good vendor to choose. No i don't need the VVS clarity at all. Your right it makes sense to find a slightly lower clarity. The only problem is that while it does reduce the price, it doesn't reduce it enough for me to go for a bigger diamond since WF doesn't offer anything between .7 and 1.
I understand. You could also try -

www.goodoldgold.com

www.niceice.com

www.winkjones.com

as they also have a good rep with Princess. And you are most welcome! You could also contact WF and ask them if they are due new inventory ( I think they might be) and ask them if they know of a diamond which might suit you?

Found a BN AGS0 princess cut for you if you are interested.

0.82c I VVS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP