shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess channel set cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdub101

Rough_Rock
I have read many of the past ring cleaning post, but I need a little bit of specific advice.

My wife''s rings are custom designed princess cut halo and channel set princess cut on 3 sides of the shank. She has had them for a little over 2 years. (I hope the attachment works)

We didn''t do the best job of maintaining a cleaning schedule and she noticed the stones were looking grey. They are all G-H in color. (I think she was comparing it to a friend’s new engagement ring)

We sent it back to the jeweler to get it cleaned and it came back a lot cleaner. However they said they couldn''t get all of the build up. And said this design will be a bear to keep clean.

She has been understandably upset, especially considering my position on upgrades.

My question(s) to folks here:

Are channel settings with princess stones inherently more difficult to keep clean than other setting types?

Should an Ultrasonic and/or a Steam Cleaner be sufficient to get into those apparent difficult to reach areas. And help her keep it looking like new?

Are there any other tips folks might have that are particular to this type of setting?

Should a regular cleaning schedule at home over time get at some of those areas that did come out from the last professional cleaning?

Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cdub1977.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To everyone reading this - please think carefully before using princess cuts smaller than 1/2 a ct. they really are a liability, clean or not.

Boil the jug and put half a cup of boiling water a dash of dish detergent and ammonia, soak 3 min and scrub with tooth brush.
Buy a good cuppacino expresso machine and steam clean it - hold the ring in an old wooden spring peg etc to save fingers.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Why are princess cuts smaller than 1/2 carat a "liability?" What is the risk?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2008 2:17:08 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Boil the jug and put half a cup of boiling water a dash of dish detergent and ammonia, soak 3 min and scrub with tooth brush.
Buy a good cuppacino expresso machine and steam clean it - hold the ring in an old wooden spring peg etc to save fingers.
Garry, you are a genius!!!!

I have never even considered using the steam nozzle on my cappuccino machine for steam cleaning jewellery... what a fab idea!!

x x x

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

Personally I would get the ultrasonic - although you might have to run it through several times.

The lady that does my nails never takes off her rings, and she had a lovely green sapphire ring which looked like a lump of junk because of the dust from her filing down gel nails all day.

It took a number of sessions in the ultrasonic before it started loosening the dirt, but with enough perseverance it cleaned up eventually.

By the way, that is an extremely pretty and unusual ring.. it''s lovely. :)

x x x

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
*bump*

Hoping to get Garry''s response regarding the small princess cuts...

x x x

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I really want to know what the problem is with small princess cuts. Is it just cleaning difficulty, or is there a durability risk even if the stones are channel set? I have some tiny princess cuts channel set in my engagement ring band.
39.gif

Muss

Shiny_Rock
I''m wondering too...

cdub101

Rough_Rock
urseberry, have you had a difficut time keeping the princess stones in your ring clean?

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve only had the ring for four months, but I have not had issues keeping the princesses clean. I do have the cleaning holes in the back. The ultrasonic seems to do a very good job cleaning them, and even a toothbrush and dish soap solution were effective. Are you considering channel set princesses, cdub101? I am disappointed that the tiny princesses are noticeably less sparkly than small rounds, but I also know that the gaps in between channel set rounds would drive me nuts. Maybe I should have gotten step cut squares, although that''s a different look altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results