shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess - opinions needed please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bl27

Rough_Rock
I have been trying to work a deal w/ a vendor and am trying to get a fair price for what I want. I do like the vendor I have and would prefer to give them the business as long as I am not overpaying greatly.

Carat: 2.00-2.10
Color: H
Clarity: VS1 (SI1 if eye clean)
Cut: Ideal
GIA certification
Girdle: Medium or Slightly Thick
Culet: closed (none)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent or very good
Price: $17,500

If this is not reasonable can someone give me an estimate of what is reasonable? So far the agreement is on everything but the cut. They are offering everything w/a premium cut instead of ideal. So far my impression is I am asking for too much but when shopping online I feel as if I''m overpaying. The dilemma I''m having is this stone is available and has everything I want plus more http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=45918367&src=builder. I would need to get the images to confirm but want to get a ruling on my current vendor first.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the vendor you would like to use, are they online or a brick and mortar jewellery store? Also the only meaningful use of Ideal Cut you can find with Princess shapes pertains to the AGS0 cut grade Princess, otherwise vendor applied labels such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc don't guarantee you a well cut diamond. You are right that we need images to judge the diamond from Abazias to get an idea of the cut quality of this stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why are you trying to buy a GIA graded princess? GIA do not grade princess cut so you might get a less than ideal cut. The ideal cut designation from your link is given by the vendor and not by GIA.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a good buy.

GOG. Everything within your specs.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 1:45:19 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Why are you trying to buy a GIA graded princess? GIA do not grade princess cut so you might get a less than ideal cut. The ideal cut designation from your link is given by the vendor and not by GIA.
Why not? There are well cut GIA Princess out there.

bl27

Rough_Rock
The vendor I am working with is a brick and mortar, so I realize up front that I may pay a little more. However, they have a agreed to make a custom setting for me and saving me a lot of money on that. I just don't want to overpay by several thousand dollars. On the cut, by ideal I was referring to the old cut chart on this site, focusing on something within these ranges.

Table depth: 62-68%
Total depth: 64-75%
Crown height: 10-15%

I went with a GIA cert as the vendor has the majority of their stones sourced from them. The reason I made this part of my requirements is this is based on the quote I got from them.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 2:08:50 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 12/9/2008 1:45:19 PM

Author: Stone-cold11

Why not? There are well cut GIA Princess out there.

I am refering to his statement of looking for a GIA graded princess. There are good GIA princess, but not likely from Abasia, a drop shipper, which the link is pointed to.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 2:16:55 PM
Author: bl27
The vendor I am working with is a brick and mortar, so I realize up front that I may pay a little more. However, they have a agreed to make a custom setting for me and saving me a lot of money on that. I just don't want to overpay by several thousand dollars. On the cut, by ideal I was referring to the old cut chart on this site, focusing on something within these ranges.

Table depth: 62-68%
Total depth: 64-75%
Crown height: 10-15%
You can certainly use the numbers as a guide, but overall if you are buying from a store, your own eyes are the deciding factor. What I would suggest is to look at as many Princess in person as you can, to get an idea of what you find beautiful. Once you have seen a diamond you are seriously considering for purchase, see if you can check it out away from the store lights to make sure you like how it looks in everyday lighting. Also you could consider ordering one of these....The ASET scope would be an asset to help you determine cut quality of Princess when looking in person.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

bl27

Rough_Rock
This is the main reason I am trying to work with this vendor is so I can see the stone and they have my setting. Plus they are friendly and open to working with me. I just don't want to waste both their time and mine if the prices/expectations are off base. This is why I want to establish what I want up front and then be firm about it.

So based on $17,500 am I doing ok? Based on other stones posted here looks like I am overpaying by possibly $3000 for using my vendor of choice. Is that an accurate assessment?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 2:24:28 PM
Author: bl27
This is the main reason I am trying to work with this vendor is so I can see the stone and they have my setting. Plus they are friendly and open to working with me. I just don''t want to waste both their time and mine if the prices/expectations are off base. This is why I want to establish what I want up front and then be firm about it.
That is absolutely fine if you prefer to work with a brick and mortar jeweller, buying online isn''t for everyone and if they are offering you good service and are helpful, that is worth a lot. Hopefully they will be able to work with you to help you find what you are looking for!

cooperchien

Rough_Rock
I think you should at least try to find a diamond that has identical color, weight, clarity, and the cut that is within the range you are looking for on the internet first.
Every diamond is unique so dont expect the price will be close. This is a big purchase. It will be worth some time and effort for you to search and study. This way you will also treasure your diamond more.
1.gif

Of course, I think 3000 is a lot. I dont know the service you get. However, if you bring the quote you get online to the store and stay firm. I think the store owner will understand and give you a little break. If you value the store and willing to pay extra, the store should value you, too.

bl27

Rough_Rock
Thank you for everyone''s advice and comments. I appreciate the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results