shape
carat
color
clarity

Pros, please advise! .84 RB GIA good

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Octaves

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

First, I''m newly engaged!! It''s a wonderful feeling!

Second, well, the question.

Center: .84 RB 5.93x5.97x3.76
F
SI1
Cut: Good
Total Depth: 63.2%
Table Size: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Slightly Thick - Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Fluor: None

2 side stones are .61 ctw RBs (one is .3, one is .31) and are graded F VS2 to SI1 on the jeweler''s appraisal. They don''t have their own certs though, and there''s no other info on them, so I''m not sure how that grading was done or if anyone independent seconded it.

The ring is from a non-chain B&M. The design is beautiful, but the setting itself is a bit asymmetric we''re going to send it back to have it redone. Since we''re sending it back anyway, I thought we''d take a look at the quality of the stones and though I love the ring, I must say that I''m concerned. My FI paid 5000 total for the three stones and a gold + platinum head setting; our budget could be stretched but not by terribly much. The center stone sparkles, and it scored a 2.1 on the HCA with Excellent light return, VG fire and scintillation, and Good spread. I''m wondering how to reconcile the GIA "good" with the "almost perfect" HCA score? Which is more important, and will a typical GIA excellent ''look'' much better than my excellent light return stone? It sparkles beautifully, but I have to admit that the girdle and the fact that the stone spreads more like a .77ish than a .84 bother me. The vendor has assured us that he will fix the setting to our liking at no charge, and has offered to scout out other stones, so we''ll wait to see if he can come up with anything we like more, or we can get a full refund, and part of me is tempted to start over, but looking at prices for individual stones here on PS I can''t tell if we got a good deal, or what a ''better'' stone would look like/be worth.

Thoughts?

It got gia good because of the depth and girdle.
It faces up smaller than some .75ct

Karl''s right...it faces up very small, which means you are paying for something you can''t see in the size.

Ditto, it''s facing up small. If you can, I would have your vendor find you more stones to chose from.

Good luck

I just wanted to update: we''re going to have the jeweler send in a few stones to look at. Our budget for the center is 5500, and I''d really like G or better so we''ll see what we can get, suggestions most welcome
1.gif
In the meantime though, I''m so proud of this photo I had to share! Diamonds really are difficult to photograph

o33.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP