shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing diamond separate from ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pjsmithe

Rough_Rock
The advise I''ve found here has helped me find a good diamond - just what I was looking for. Will not go have it set in a ring my gfriend likes at a household name retailer... However, has anybody found that NOT purchasing the diamond from the retailer you''re buying the ring from... results in lower service. When I''ve mentioned that I''m coming in with a diamond, they haven''t responded very favorable..

Also, what are people''s experiences servicing/insuring a ring that has a diamond sourced from a different location?

What sorts of businesses have you approached? Although I understand that times are tough, especially for those who may work off commission, jewelry stores that offer the service of setting stones bought elsewhere should treat you the same as any other customer, since they will make money off setting the stone. (Maybe they do--maybe the jewelers you visited don''t treat any customer especially well?) I personally would be hesitant to give my business to anyone who seemed displeased by what I was asking of them. Take your stone and your money elsewhere.

What sort of setting are you looking for? Maybe we could find that setting or a similar one from a PS vendor? If that doesn''t appeal, I''d keep shopping around to find someone who values you as a customer.

Of course some jewelers are rude about it. But my feeling about it is that if they can''t be competitive with something then they lose my business...it''s just like any other business transaction.

So if a jeweler treats me well with small purchases I''ll likely go back for bigger ones. So anyone that doesn''t treat you well because you already have a stone is worth passing on IMO.

I think most jewelry stores make more profit from diamond sales than settings.

What would you do if a customer came in with a diamond you didn''t make a penny off of and expected the same service?

Date: 11/29/2008 12:50:02 PM
Author: Moh 10
I think most jewelry stores make more profit from diamond sales than settings.

What would you do if a customer came in with a diamond you didn''t make a penny off of and expected the same service?
Who says they don''t "make a penny?" Why would they bother to offer the service if they didn''t make any money at all? They wouldn''t.

I believe smart jewelers will always seek business and new clients. Margins on diamonds are often smaller than those on settings these days and a setting-only sale can be an attractive way to win a new client. There may be obstacles to overcome; chipping/breakage of a good diamond during setting is rare - but it's an expensive rarity - so a jeweler who didn't sell the diamond may not be willing to set it as a condition of his store's insurance. In such a case it makes sense (to me) for the store to sell a setting to you if yoi'll have the place you sourced the diamond set it. No doubt you'll be back for cleaning, prong-checking - and perhaps collateral gifting.

I realize some places don't sell setting-only. Sometimes it may be to protect a proprietary design, others may simply feel 'old school' about one-stop-shopping, but consumer education and diversity is growing, not declining. I imagine you will see more and more stores happy to win your business any way they can. Regardless, your approach is no reason for poor customer service from anyone.

Do you have specific service/insurance questions?

Actually I have had very good luck with all of the above. I purchased the diamond from another city. Purchased the setting from Good Old Gold and am having it set in my home town. There is a given however, I am from a smaller city but I have found that due to the climate of the economy it seems jewelers have a little more time to do work out of the "norm" this time of season. However, it does depend on the stone, the jeweler I contacted was happy to set an asscher but said he would be reluctant to do a pricness cut. I''m insuring it with an extended policy on my homeowner insurance, which wasnt a problem getting with a proper appraisal.

Hope this helps.

I ask the jewler if he can beat the price I found and if they cannot they should not argue with you or be rude. My jeweler said he does not blame me for taking the beter deal. They know you may come back for wedding bands in the near future. Now they may try to sell you something of less quality for the same price....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP