shape
carat
color
clarity

questions about pear ring (prongs and finding diamond)

shinybling

Rough_Rock
New to this forum and hoping for some advice. I'm looking to upgrade my engagement ring to a pear lab diamond for our 10 yr anniversary

I originally had ordered one from Blue Nile, and I love it except for the prongs (pic attached). I don't like the 6 prongs as I think the bottom prong on the round end makes the diamond shape almost look like a hexagon and pointed at both ends, and I don't think I love the V prong at the tip. I'm thinking of returning it and maybe getting it done with a local jeweler, so I had a few questions.

I'm looking at getting around a 1.8-2 ct diamond. I'm debating between doing 3 prongs with a gallery rail/ hidden halo vs 5 prongs vs 5 prongs with gallery rail/ hidden halo. Obviously the 5 prongs w/ rail would be the most secure, but is 3 prongs with a rail secure and what about just 5 prongs without a rail?

Thinking of either doing round prongs or claw prongs. Do claw prongs tend to snag things more?

I'm going to put a prong on the tip, but is it ok if it's not a V prong?

Any negatives with doing a hidden halo? I had read harder to clean, potential to lose stones, and makes the ring higher?

Is there a minimum mm recommended for the band for a 1.8-2 ct diamond? I like the delicate look, so wondering how thin I can go on the band that is recommended.

I came across stonealgo. Are any of the retailers on there ok to buy a loose diamond from or recommendations of where to buy a loose diamond?
Also for lab diamonds, do you thinking getting one with IGI certification is perfectly fine (as opposed to GIA)?
Thinking of finding a diamond on my own, and then working with local jeweler for the setting.

Thanks for any advice!!

IMG_8155.jpg

New to this forum and hoping for some advice. I'm looking to upgrade my engagement ring to a pear lab diamond for our 10 yr anniversary

I originally had ordered one from Blue Nile, and I love it except for the prongs (pic attached). I don't like the 6 prongs as I think the bottom prong on the round end makes the diamond shape almost look like a hexagon and pointed at both ends, and I don't think I love the V prong at the tip. I'm thinking of returning it and maybe getting it done with a local jeweler, so I had a few questions.
I have a pear with 5 prongs (it has a prong on the point...not a V). It also has a basket.
I'm looking at getting around a 1.8-2 ct diamond. I'm debating between doing 3 prongs with a gallery rail/ hidden halo vs 5 prongs vs 5 prongs with gallery rail/ hidden halo. Obviously the 5 prongs w/ rail would be the most secure, but is 3 prongs with a rail secure and what about just 5 prongs without a rail?
For safety reasons, I think the 5 prongs with a rail would be the way to go. If one prong gets knocked off a 3 prong ring there
is a high chance you'll lose your stone. Versus with one being knocked off a 5 prong setting.

Thinking of either doing round prongs or claw prongs. Do claw prongs tend to snag things more?
I have claw prongs on both my Erings (one done by James Allen and one by Whiteflash). The prongs on both
rings are done really well. I have not had any issues with snagging. YMMV depending on who does the prongs.
I'm going to put a prong on the tip, but is it ok if it's not a V prong?
Mine is a regular prong. I've seen so many Vs done badly I was willing to go with a regular prong and give up
the added safety. The prong on the pointed end is not a claw. It is more of a rounded prong I guess to cover more
of the pointed end.

Any negatives with doing a hidden halo? I had read harder to clean, potential to lose stones, and makes the ring higher?
Yes to all you mentioned. Just depends on what you want and what you are possibly willing to have to deal with.
Is there a minimum mm recommended for the band for a 1.8-2 ct diamond? I like the delicate look, so wondering how thin I can go on the band that is recommended.
We usually recommend 1.8-2mm.
I came across stonealgo. Are any of the retailers on there ok to buy a loose diamond from or recommendations of where to buy a loose diamond?
Do you like the stone you have? Pears are hard to buy. If you like it, maybe you can return the whole ring and then just buy the
stone.

Also for lab diamonds, do you thinking getting one with IGI certification is perfectly fine (as opposed to GIA)?
Thinking of finding a diamond on my own, and then working with local jeweler for the setting.
I suggest working with David Klass...he knows Pricescopers and knows all the things we tend to want/like (and dont
want). Also, great at dealing with our pickiness (which can be extreme in some cases!)

Thanks for any advice!!

IMG_8155.jpg
img_20160319_181325238_hdr_2.jpg

Thank you @tyty333 for your detailed response!

This is the diamond I got. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/22232016
Honestly, I didn't really know what I was looking for in a pear diamond, and the rep helped me pick out that one after I narrowed it down to a few. Is that a diamond worth keeping? I do feel like I paid a significant amount for it in comparison to some others I'm seeing on stonealgo, but part of that is that it has GIA certification, so wondering if it's worth it to get an IGI certified diamond for cheaper that may look just as good? But I do see how difficult it is to find a good pear.

Do you think 5 prongs without a gallery rail/ basket is ok? I'm debating having Blue Nile remake the setting I have but basically just take out the bottom prong and change the V prong to a round one. It ends up being a custom order though and nonrefundable, so makes me a little nervous.

It looks like a pretty nice pear. I cant say you won't find better for cheaper but some of the cheaper stones (way low cost) are
not made with good crystals (so, you have to watch out for those). You could look around a bit and ask for opinions on some
of the lower priced stones and see what people think. I'm not sure how much time you have before your 30 days for return
is up.

I think 5 prongs without a rail beats any 3 prong setting.

How much time do you have before your 30 day return window is up?

I like your current ring!

It looks like a pretty nice pear. I cant say you won't find better for cheaper but some of the cheaper stones (way low cost) are
not made with good crystals (so, you have to watch out for those). You could look around a bit and ask for opinions on some
of the lower priced stones and see what people think. I'm not sure how much time you have before your 30 days for return
is up.

I think 5 prongs without a rail beats any 3 prong setting.

How much time do you have before your 30 day return window is up?

My ship date was Sept 13, so it looks like it will be Oct 13 (which they said they have to receive it by then). I overall like the ring, but that bottom prong and the V prong I feel like I'm not in love with. I feel like the V prong looks crooked on the diamond too, so maybe that's why I'm not liking it.

I like your current ring!

thank you! I like it overall, but that bottom prong and the V prong I feel like I don't love. I feel kind of crazy. haha.

I'm not seeing any crookedness on the V in your picture but it may be something that can only be seen in person. Might a small
adjustment be able to fix it?

I'm not seeing any crookedness on the V in your picture but it may be something that can only be seen in person. Might a small
adjustment be able to fix it?

Hard to get a picture, but I feel there's a slight gap between the prong on the left side of the diamond so it doesn't sit flush against that side of the tip. That they said they could adjust. I'm just trying to decide if I'm ok with the bottom prong. I feel like it interferes with the round outline on the pear.
IMG_8170 2.jpg

Well, now that does look crooked. I'm not a big fan of the prong at the rounded end either. It is great for safety but not
for aesthetics.

I do like the stone though. It has a lovely shape and seems to have decent light return (as far as pears go).

You've got a week or so to decide...I think you should get what you want. Whether that means returning the setting and going
custom, or returning the whole ring. I know its not an easy decision.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics