shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-sizing a square shank ring - easy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I hope this is an ok place to post this question. I am contemplating an e-ring and wedding band with square shanks. Although I don''t plan on needing to resize, I suppose you never know. I seem to like my rings a bit looser in size, but I am fearful that if I order something and it comes out too big or too small, that a resize would be needed right away. The set that I would like to order if from out of state, so making sure the size is right is important to me, and of course making sure that if something is wrong, that the jeweler will be willing to work with me to resolve. I just got done reading here about a someone who ordered her rings and they were too big, and that if you go to multiple places, they will measure differently.

So my question is this: Is resizing square shanks complicated? Will it/could it change the actual shape at the bottom of the shank and make it uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance for the help. I see a lot of expert opinions out there, and great consumer opinions as well. I appreciate both very much.
tongue.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beyond very slight sizing (an prefferably up, not down) the rign would need o be remade. Anywya, you may want to ask the jeweler if the outline of the ring will be modified by sizing - it takes a bit of work to avoid this.

.... as far as I know, of course.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I am guessing it would only be around 1/2 of a size at most. My #1 choice right now is an e-ring & matching band with square shanks. I figure if it's a bit loose (which I prefer), it will at least help reduce the spin factor. I read up on some other interesting threads and learned a lot about re-sizing in general.

I just had a couple of gold rings from my mother re-sized (up), and the jeweler stated that they just "stretched" the ring, rather than recut it because it was just 1/2 of a size. Can platinum rings also be re-sized by "stretching", or must they actually be cut?
confused.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I find that when my rings are loose, they spin MUCH more than if they're tight...

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I had a set sized down 1 size, the bottom changed a little, but they look fine and don't bug me at all.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
I''m moving this topic up from last year because I have the same question. Among many options I''m considering this A. Jaffe ring:

MES078-MRS078-MRS078_t.jpg

I notice Steve said it would take longer and cost more (but is possible) to re-size a square shank ring.

Anyone have a guestimate as to how much/how long? How much does it cost to resize a normal ring, compared with to resize these?

At most I imagine I would only have to resize 1/2 - 1 size - I wouldn''t imagine resizing more than 2 sizes. However, I''m a little unsure about what my ring size is, so I''m not even 100% sure that when I order a ring I''ll have ordered the right size. So a ring that''s resizable is kind of important!

Thanks to anyone that knows anything about resizing such rings and can give me a rough idea.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/16/2005 11:52:13 PM
Author: Feydakin
Just go get your ring finger sized before oyu order the ring.. Sort of eliminates the whole sizing issue entirely..
I''ve had my finger sized four times and they all come up with different sizes
40.gif
In Australia we use the British measuring (letters) and in the conversion to American sizes (where my ring will eventually come from, because my boyfriend lives in America and he will get it there) seems to give a skewed measurement. I''ve measured anywhere between 5 1/4 and 6. (The 6 was at Tiffanys which was a "true" US size 6.) So I''m confused as to which size to get ...

But I also want to know in case I need to resize years in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results